“Still better than most”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Vilano Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
High Springs, FL
Reviewed June 20, 2006

This is the second time we've stayed at the Casa del Mar. The facility and rooms are still fairly nice, but the room rates have gone up substantially and the place is going condo (in part).

On the plus side, the location is very good, the facility and garden are nice, the room was nice, and the breakfast was excellent. The breakfast server (Reggie) is exceptionally pleasant and helpful.

In contrast, the plates and utensils for breakfast are plastic and the manager's reception seems to have limited options.

Overall, the place is still above average but the room rates have gone up substantially and the services have decreased slightly. I may consider other options next time I go to St Augustine.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (1,584)

Reviewed June 19, 2006

We spent 4 days in St Augustine. The hotel was nice, rooms facing the water were probably worth the $150-$200 price depending on weekend or weekday.
The entertainment center is huge and is located right in front of the bed. Made it a little tough to watch TV while wife was sleeping. The beds were a little soft and had a huge frame that we bumped into constantly. We had a problem with bugs on the patio which was remedied quickly. The area needs work around it, but this hotel stand out as a quiet, clean stay.
Reggie was awesome at breakfast. Their happy hour could use some work. Only Budweiser beer and wine. No light beers, come on.
I recommend going down the to the North Beach away from hotel, it's quieter and no traffic. The restaurant down the street called the Reef was excellent, good happy hour and wonderful food. Fusion(Asian cuisine) was outstanding.
If you are not wanting to stay in the crowded downtown area this is the place to stay. The bridge to Vilano Beach is wonderful, no drawbridge very little traffic. The bridge to St Augustine beach is a nightmare. If you like the beach go to Anastasia St park.

Stayed: June 2006
7  Thank FlDink
Management response:Responded June 22, 2006

Thank you TripAdvisor member from Bradenton, Florida for your constructive comments of the Casa del Mar. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We due apologize for the soft mattress in your guest room. The housekeeping and management staff has been notified of this issue. The bugs on the patio, were from a northeast breeze that came in, after Hurricane Alberto passed by and yes cleaning them off patios and balconies was of the utmost importance. To my knowledge, the afternoon reception is supposed to have a light beer and I will check with management to see if an error had occurred. Your choices for dining was excellent. I have eaten at both establishments and enjoyed their food. Again thank you for your excellent comments and we look forward in seeing you in the near future.

Crystal River FL
Reviewed June 12, 2006

The retired gentleman server at breakfast was just a wonderful asset to the casa del mar.
Wonderful attitude and he made the morning meal such a delight. Very pleasant.
The rooms were spaceous, clean and quiet. Everything you need at a touch. The complimentary coffee was so smooth, very good.
My teens really enjoyed the pool and the convience to the beach. Wonderful waves.
"Awesome" surf too.
My daughter was home from the army and she really enjoyed the walk up over that bridge to keep her regimen going. Great exercise.
I would highly reccommend the Casa Del Mar to the most finicky of hotels visitors.
Thanks for a great trip.

• Stayed: July 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Management response:Responded June 16, 2006

Thank you TripAdvisor for your wonderful review of the Casa del Mar and we are pleased that you have a enjoyable stay. Reggie our breakfast host is always going out of his way, to make sure our guests get off to a great start. The management and staff is very pro-active in providing our guests with clean and well equipped accommodations. Again, thank you for your comments and we hope to see you again soon.

Palm Bay, Florida
Reviewed June 12, 2006

After reviewing the message boards, I decided to take a chance and booked a room for my husband and three young children at the Casa del Mar. I was very pleased with the hotel. We paid $199 per night, and for our budget, that is a bit pricey, but it was very reasonable for what the hotel offered.

We were on the ground floor and still had a private patio to enjoy. The complimentary breakfast provided choices for every traveler's tastes. The room was clean and suprisingly spacious. Our oldest daughters slept on the fold out couch while the youngest slept in the hotel's crib. Note for parents--it was the size of a port-a-crib--not full size. I don't know if a full size crib is a choice. Our 18 month old is average size and fit okay, but a larger or older child would need different sleeping arrangments.

The hotel was just steps from the beach, and the ocean was a lovely place to spend the cooler evening hours. Historic downtown would be best reached by car or taxi. Bring lots of quarters for the parking meters, though, if you drive!

Casa del Mar's pool area and hot tub were lovely and very clean. More shady areas by the pool would be helpful, though. Perhaps more umbrellas would be nice.

In all, I would be delighted to stay there again.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Management response:Responded June 15, 2006

Thank you TripoAdvisor from Palm Coast, Florida for your commements regarding the Casa del Mar. We are pleased that you and your family enjoyed your stay and St. Augustine. We appreciate your comments regarding the crib and pool area. I will ask mangement to look into getting a few full size cribs. The pool area will be looked into also, to see if we can put in a few more umbrellas tables. Again, thank you for your constructive comments and we look forward in seeing you in the near future.

Reviewed June 11, 2006

Stayed at the Clarion Collection Casa Del Mar this past weekend on an overnight trip to St. Augustine. The room was nicer than I expected from a Choice Hotel, clean, nice touches like bath robes, in room Starbucks coffee, good furnishings, no odd smells. Just a nice, comfortable room. Typical problems of a beach hotel/resort in that there was plenty of sand and wet carpet in the stairs, some noise caused by playful youngsters, etc. Only one side of the building has good ocean views. The area is cluttered with the usual variety of Florida beach houses (both new and old, kept and unkept), cheap beach motels, restaurants, and the like. Easy walk to the beach. The complimentary breakfast had a better than usual variety.

8  Thank mooneynut
Management response:Responded June 14, 2006

Thank you TripAdvisor from Celebration, Florida for your review. We are pleased your enjoyed your accommodations and amenities here at the Casa del Mar. In regards to the wet and sandy carpets on the stairs, management tries it's best to maintain the area, vacuming the sand late in the day. Some times after we complete our task, more guests track in additional sand. The area itself (Vilano Beach) is undergoing a $50,000,000 plus make over. The project will be completed in about 3 years. We really do appreciate your comments and we do look forward in seeing you all in the near future.

Reviewed May 30, 2006

This is an update from my previous review of a few days ago. I am impressed that management not only responded here on Tripadvisor, but they also took the time to read this and send me a personal email at home explaining about the renovation project that has caused the area to be such a mess. They also issued a $50.00 credit to my credit card for the inconviences that we experienced. This type of customer service is rare, and I really give them credit for going the extra mile. As I explained in my first posting, it wasn't the hotel we were unhappy with...it was the location. I do believe the hotel itself deserves a chance, I just wanted people to have a heads up that the area is under major construction, but I feel assured that it will be lovely upon completion. I was glad to learn that the dogs are supposed to be leashed. That must be more of an enforcement issue I guess. Again, very impressive management to track us down with a detailed email and credit.

• Stayed: May 2006
8  Thank ss4000
Management response:Responded June 5, 2006

Thank you TripAdvisor from Effingham IL. for your updated review. The management of the Casa del Mar is continually being pro-active when it comes to guest satisfaction. Customer service should be a priority with any business and we at the Casa del Mar will strive to be tops in that area. The Vilano Town Center when completed, will be a wonderful place to visit with the many shops and restaurants within walking distance from the hotel.
Again we look forward in seeing you in the near future.

Reviewed May 29, 2006

In September,2005 my wife and I worked with Mr. John D. Baird, Vice President of Casa del Mar to sign a wedding group block contract for 30 suites for our son's wedding the weekend of May 19, 2006. During the eight months that plans and guests reserved their rooms, the staff of Casa del Mar was very professional and polite . When the big event came and our guests starting coming from California, Maine and New York to name just a few places, all the planning went into high gear and for two glorious days , the wedding party, family and friends enjoyed each other during this very special event. Mr. Vesko Ivanov, General Mgr. and his total staff made every little detail work like a fine Swiss watch. The Presidental Suite which we used as Wedding Headquarters, is the most fantastic hotel suite you could ever wish for a gathering place! My wife and I can't wait to go back and relive all the special memories that were made at the Casa del Mar!

• Stayed: May 2006
10  Thank tv718
Management response:Responded June 4, 2006

Thank you TripAdvisor from Tierra Verde, Fl. for your kind review. It was our pleasure in hosting your son's wedding and having the opportunity to meet so many of your guests. The management and staff are truly professional in every way. It is a big day for any bride or groom and we here at the Casa del Mar want to help make it a very special occasion. Again thank you for your review and we look forward in seeing you in the near future to relive those special memories.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilano Beach
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St. Augustine Historic District
Hilton Garden Inn St. Augustine Beach
Hilton Garden Inn St. Augustine ...
#5 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach
Bayfront Marin House Historic Inn
La Fiesta Ocean Inn & Suites
La Fiesta Ocean Inn & Suites
#1 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites St. Augustine - Vilano Beach? Share your experiences!