“Impressive Management”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Illinois
“Impressive Management”
Reviewed May 30, 2006

This is an update from my previous review of a few days ago. I am impressed that management not only responded here on Tripadvisor, but they also took the time to read this and send me a personal email at home explaining about the renovation project that has caused the area to be such a mess. They also issued a $50.00 credit to my credit card for the inconviences that we experienced. This type of customer service is rare, and I really give them credit for going the extra mile. As I explained in my first posting, it wasn't the hotel we were unhappy with...it was the location. I do believe the hotel itself deserves a chance, I just wanted people to have a heads up that the area is under major construction, but I feel assured that it will be lovely upon completion. I was glad to learn that the dogs are supposed to be leashed. That must be more of an enforcement issue I guess. Again, very impressive management to track us down with a detailed email and credit.

8 Thank ss4000
, Vice President, Casa del Mar Inn & Suites at Hampton Inn & Suites St. Augustine - Vilano Beach, responded to this review, June 5, 2006
Thank you TripAdvisor from Effingham IL. for your updated review. The management of the Casa del Mar is continually being pro-active when it comes to guest satisfaction. Customer service should be a priority with any business and we at the Casa del Mar will strive to be tops in that area. The Vilano Town Center when completed, will be a wonderful place to visit with the many shops and restaurants within walking distance from the hotel.
Again we look forward in seeing you in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Hebrew first
florida
Reviewed May 29, 2006

In September,2005 my wife and I worked with Mr. John D. Baird, Vice President of Casa del Mar to sign a wedding group block contract for 30 suites for our son's wedding the weekend of May 19, 2006. During the eight months that plans and guests reserved their rooms, the staff of Casa del Mar was very professional and polite . When the big event came and our guests starting coming from California, Maine and New York to name just a few places, all the planning went into high gear and for two glorious days , the wedding party, family and friends enjoyed each other during this very special event. Mr. Vesko Ivanov, General Mgr. and his total staff made every little detail work like a fine Swiss watch. The Presidental Suite which we used as Wedding Headquarters, is the most fantastic hotel suite you could ever wish for a gathering place! My wife and I can't wait to go back and relive all the special memories that were made at the Casa del Mar!

10 Thank tv718
, Vice President, Casa del Mar Inn & Suites at Hampton Inn & Suites St. Augustine - Vilano Beach, responded to this review, June 4, 2006
Thank you TripAdvisor from Tierra Verde, Fl. for your kind review. It was our pleasure in hosting your son's wedding and having the opportunity to meet so many of your guests. The management and staff are truly professional in every way. It is a big day for any bride or groom and we here at the Casa del Mar want to help make it a very special occasion. Again thank you for your review and we look forward in seeing you in the near future to relive those special memories.
Merritt Island, FL
Reviewed May 25, 2006

Clarion Casa del Mar
May 26, 2006
Trip advisor, Merritt Island FL
We recently took our grandson to see St Augustine. This is a great place to relax after spending a day in the city. The beach and the pool were great in the afternoon. The hotel was clean and the staff was very friendly and helpful. By asking we found several excellent places to eat. I would recommend Casa del Mar to anyone.

8 Thank TWKMI
, Vice President, Casa del Mar Inn & Suites at Hampton Inn & Suites St. Augustine - Vilano Beach, responded to this review, May 30, 2006
Thank you TripAdvisor from Merritt Island for your review. We are pleased that your stay was enjoyable and pleasant. Relaxing after a full day of touring or just going to the beach, it's nice to come back and enjoy the peace and quite of the hotel. Our staff is great, when asked various questions concerning attractions, fun places to eat or just general information. Thank you again for your review and we look forward in seeing you all in the near future.
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 14, 2006

After much research online and after reading dozens of reviews, we chose the Casa Del Mar. Based on what I read, I was to expect a glorious hotel property. Close to the beach, large rooms, beautiful patio, balconies, and an outstanding continental breakfast. First of all, upon our arrival, I immediately noticed a strong "moth-ball" odor outside around the garden areas. We continued to put our luggage upstairs and realized that we did not have the balcony room we were hoping for. I went downstairs to inquire about switching to a room with a balcony, but was told that was not possible because we needed a room with two queen beds. After that disappointment, my daughter and I went outside to check out the patio area and gardens that I had been reading so much about. We walked down the sidewalk through the garden area and discovered a very dead rat that had obviously been laying there for several hours !!! We were completely "freaked out" by that discovery and ran back up to our room. Now I knew why I could smell moth balls!! After seeing that, there was no way I was going to be comfortable in a place that had dead rodents around. My husband informed the man at the front desk about the rat.....and quite a while later, they finally got rid of it. Unbelievable!!
So very disappointed in this place. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.......the continental breakfast everyone raves about on this website is very overrated. "Reg" the breakfast/omelet maker??? Never even saw anyone by that name??
While this hotel is located close to St. Augustine, the area at which it is located is very unattractive and for lack of a better word......"dumpy". Please save your money, as we spent approx. $450 for two nights stay and could not have been more disappointed.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, Vice President, Casa del Mar Inn & Suites at Hampton Inn & Suites St. Augustine - Vilano Beach, responded to this review, May 18, 2006
Thank you TripAdvisor from Port Huron MI. for your comments regarding the Casa del Mar. First of all, I am sorry that your stay here did not measure up to your standards. In reference to your accommodations, you had requested a room with two double queen beds. All our double queen bedded rooms have no balconies, that is why we could not move you and your family to a room with a balcony. Reggie, our breakfast host was on vacation the week of you stay. Our continental breakfast, is one the the largest for a limited service hotel. (many selections). The Vilano Beach area is under going a $50,000,000 plus make over. The 1/2 mile of Vilano road will be coverted to a Town Center, with many shops, restraurants and offices. Unfortunately, in the process of going into wooded areas to clean them out, the contruction company has displaced many animals that will go to other areas. The hotel has taken a proactive approach in preventing these animals from coming onto the property. The moth balls were placed in the garden area to keep snakes out and rat houses (rat traps) were also placed in the garden area. I am very sorry, that you and your daughter had to see the rat on the path area and yes should have been taken care of right away. Many of our TripAdvisor guests who had written their reviews had a wonderful time here.
I do hope ,that you will continue to use TripAdvisor in assisting you in making your travel plans in the future.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 30, 2006

Been to St. Augustine six times in the last 18 months. I finally found the best hotel to stay at. The staff is more than professional -- they are family and treat you as family! Everyone will do whatever it takes to make sure that your stay is the best. You cannot find a better place to stay. I will be returning to St. Augustine and there is no doubt that I will be spending every night at the Casa del Mar. The best way to end is by saying: Stay at the Casa del Mar, you'll enjoy every minute of your stay.

9 Thank Charlie T
, Vice President, Casa del Mar Inn & Suites at Hampton Inn & Suites St. Augustine - Vilano Beach, responded to this review, May 2, 2006
Thank you TripAdvisor from Chicago, ILL, for your wonderful review. I are pleased that you have found a new home away from home while visiting St. Augustine. You are completely right, when you say the the staff of the Casa del Mar is family. Most of the employees have be here since the opening of the hotel. Our staff (as you say) is always going out their way to help our guests. That is why our staff is empowered to make decisions, without being questioned by management. The staff looks forward in seeing you in the near future
manchester, England
Reviewed April 27, 2006

Hi my husband and I chanced on this hotel after driving up from my parents just outside Orlando. We drove into St Augustine which we found very quaint but decided we would like to stay near the beach. I went into reception with a coupon but there were no rooms at this price. For another $10 we got a room on the side of the hotel with a jacuzzi bath, from which we could just see the sea. The room was huge and had a lovely marble floor.

Everything was superb and we decided to stay another night. It was the 2 nights just befor Good Friday and we thought it may be busy but the hotel accommodated us for the second night at the same rate. We couldn't get over how luxurious the room was for the price$129, the same room in England would probably cost near $450!!!

The pool area was great although a few extra sunbeds would not have gone amiss. Although we had one each there were several people perched on chairs for the whole afternoon.

The one thing we didn't realise, nobody explained was that breakfast was complimentary and it sounds from the reviews we misssed something special!!Never mind.

Found a nice restaurant across the road from the hotel sunset grille I think, this was great and staff very friendsly. All in all a great hotel which we have recommended to my parents when they are up in St.Augustine. ENJOY!!!!

11 Thank katieloumatt
, Vice Presidemt, Casa del Mar at Hampton Inn & Suites St. Augustine - Vilano Beach, responded to this review, April 28, 2006
Thank you TripAdvisor from Manchester England for your most recent review. In your review, the first paragraph caught me by surpised, when I realized that you had stay at another Clarion Collection at St. Augustine Beach. We are located at Vilano Beach at St. Augustine. I know the hotel you stayed at and is a wonderful place to stay. We do have the compimentary buffet breakfast and plenty of lounge chairs at the pool. Again, your review on the hotel was is right on the money and I am glad you had a great stay.
North Carolina
Reviewed April 23, 2006

My fiance and I were in town for a wedding the 2nd weekend in April 2006. We checked into a hotel in the historic district (San Marco Ave.) of St. Augustine the first night and had a terrible experience. I immediately called Casa del Mar to see if they had anything open for the next night. The man I talked with over the phone (Chris I think was his name?) was extremely nice and told me that we would be able to check in the next day. What a relief! He also gave us a 10% discount since we were switching hotels. We were worried about checking in at the normal time 4pm because the wedding started at 5pm the next day & we needed to be in the hotel to get ready before that. Check out at the other place was 11am and we couldn't be out of a room for 5 hours. He assured us that would be no problem and we could check in early. When we got to Casa del Mar the next day to check in we were greeted by extremely friendly staff! This hotel is only a few minutes from where we were staying in the historic district. Just a drive over a bridge and you are there. The minute we walked in to our room (220 Shark Suite) we were amazed! Huge room, beautiful furniture, clean, modern decor, huge flatscreen TV, comfortable king size bed with 2 little mints & mini bottles of water on the night table, 2 terrycloth robes, sitting area with couch & chairs, small table for 2, small fridge, bag of popcorn and microwave, Starbucks coffee packets and small coffee maker, very nice shower heads, plenty of clean towels. The list goes on and on. We went outside to check out the pool and jacuzzi. It was very well maintained with great outdoor furniture and music playing in the background. Then we took a one minute walk to the beach. After we got back from the wedding and dinner that night I was getting ready for bed and realized in the bathroom they had provided eye make-up remover pads. What a nice little extra! After a good nights sleep we got up to see what the famous breakfast was like downstairs. WOW. What didn't they have? My fiance had a cheese omlet, orange juice, sausage, bacon, an apple, a banana, french toast and I had honeydew melon, berries, orange juice, sausage, bacon, a banana. They had all kinds of things! This hotel obviously cares about making a lasting impression! When I got ready that morning I sat at the little table and used the magnifying mirror they provide to put on my make-up. How convenient since my fiance was in the bathroom showering. As far as checkout we were again greeted by the excellent staff & it literally took under a minute. We were sad to leave this hotel! If I ever return to St. Augustine this will be the only place I will even consider staying! It is so convenient to the historic St. Augustine, Vilano Beach and worth every penny!

13 Thank CarolinaGirlBarbie
, Vice President, Casa del Mar Inn & Suites at Hampton Inn & Suites St. Augustine - Vilano Beach, responded to this review, April 26, 2006
TripAdvisor from Pinehurst, N.C. I really do not know what to say in reference to your stay here at the Casa del Mar. You have covered everything that our other guests have satated in their review. We are very pleased that Chris was able to accommodate to request. On weekends, most hotels are very busy and early check- in can sometimes be difficult to get. One of our company policies is, that if a guest has a extreme situation we will do our very best to accommate them. We know that being in or attending a wedding is of utmost impotance to the individual. An hour to get ready and be at the church is never enough time. That is when Chris realized you needed more time to get ready. Early check in no problem here. Chris just put a message in the remarks section of your reservation, so that the person assigning rooms the next day would know of your situation. Prior to your arrival that person assigning rooms, spoke to the houskeeper and requested your assigned room be cleaned and made first. That's what we call communicating between departments. The staff and management are very pleased that you had a wonderful time here in St. Augustine and next time back , say hello.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilano Beach
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St. Augustine Historic District
Hilton Garden Inn St. Augustine Beach
Hilton Garden Inn St. Augustine ...
#4 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach
#1 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach
Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort
Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort
#9 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites St. Augustine - Vilano Beach? Share your experiences!