“Simply the best Hampton Inn I have Experienced!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hampton Inn & Suites St. Augustine - Vilano Beach
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Vilano Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Haines City, Florida
“Simply the best Hampton Inn I have Experienced!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2009

Usually I wait a couple weeks before I get around to writing a hotel review, but I could not wait to tell people about this hotel. Hampton's are always good for the price and they have great consistency in their properties compared to other chains, but this property goes above and beyond in every way possible.

I stayed at the Vilano Beach Hampton Inn and Suites last Tuesday (October 14th) for 1 night as a quick getaway from Orlando. I booked this hotel since I trust Hampton's and since this hotel received such great reviews here on tripadvisor (they did not dissapoint). Arrival was as smooth as I have ever experienced, I checked in early and was still able to get to my room immediately and the front desk lady was able to give me some great recommendations for places to eat in the Historic District.

The room itself was exactly as I was hoping for and more. I had reserved an ocean view room with a balcony online, and not only was I given that, but my request for a 3rd floor room away from the elevators was also honored. I was about as secluded as you could get in the hotel, which was exactly what I wanted. The room itself was absolutely perfect, the king bed was simply the most comfortable bed that I have ever experienced in a hotel. The room was spacious with an office desk, couch, and kitchen area with a refrigerator, microwave, and sink. The kitchen area was above what I have experienced at other hotels and even other Hampton's, where the refrigerator and microwave are just in an area of the room together. This area was well designed and very classy, above a typical Hampton. The view of my room from the balcony was great, the ocean was directly in front of you, unlike other hotels where an oceanview room might be anything but the ocean.

The hotel itself was in great shape, I never saw any trash or any parts of the hotel needing repair. The fitness center and computers in the lobby all worked well. The large lobby area was simply breathtaking, as well as the pool and spa area with the nice fountain. The pool itself is fairly normal for a Hampton in terms of size and temperature, the hot tub could have possibly been a little warmer but it was not cool by any means. In terms of the beach, I have seen some reviews criticizing the fact that it is not actually on the beach. While it is not directly on the beach, the walk is simply across the back parking lot of the hotel and across a small road onto the beach. Simply put, you are practically on the beach, it's not like you have to cross A1A or anything. Look at my pictures and decide for yourself if the beach is close enough, for me it was great.

Breakfast in the morning with Reggie was really a nice touch. Usually breakfast hosts are not that nice and just wait in the back until the food needs replacing, but Reggie was out interacting with everything (myself included since there was only 1 other person) and even got the USA Today for me. He made sure everything was good and that I was all set. The breakfast itself is your typical Hampton breakfast, but having Reggie there is another aspect that sets this Hampton Inn and Suites apart.

Checkout was smooth, no issues in terms of that. In terms of location you are only a 5 minute drive from the Historic District and you are practically on the ocean, so you get the best of both worlds. The only reason I would suggest anyone to stay anywhere else in St. Augustine (the Hilton by far was the nicest hotel in that area) is if they will not have a car, as all of the attractions and restaurants are in the Historic District. Other than that, I will recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the area.

My only regret was that I was only able to stay 1 night. This was one of the best hotel stays I have ever had, only Place 'D Arms in the French Quarter of New Orleans is a better experience. In terms of Hampton's or any other chain hotel, this was by far the best hotel I have ever stayed at. This hotel is a great value and is superior to many "upscale" hotels. I hope they keep the condition of this hotel as good as it is and the friendly atmosphere! If you are coming to St. Augustine, you need to stay here!

• Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank gatorcard83

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Hebrew first
New Port Richey, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2009

We stayed here for three nights for a short family trip. I've been to augustine a few times, and this was by far the best value I've found. This is not a typical Hampton; I believe it was a resort that was bought out by Hampton and it shows.
I have no complaints about anything. The hotel was clean, the room was great, and the service was excellent. The patio area was nice for breakfast, especially if you smoke. As far as the review trashing the breakfast attendant Reggie, I couldn't disagree more. He was very pleasant, but not pushy or invasive by any means, and I didn't notice him fishing for tips at all.
I was also quite pleased with the price we paid. It ran about 120 a night for an oceanview king room. It was a large room with a decent size balcony. Compared to most places around St Augustine, that's a really good price (especially for being oceanfront). I see myself staying in the future, especially if I can get it at that price or close to it.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank JeremeMW
JohnSt_Augustine, Public Relations at Hampton Inn & Suites St. Augustine - Vilano Beach, responded to this review, June 1, 2009
Thanks you TripAdvisor from New Port Richey for your excellent review. The staff is very proud that your stay with us while in St. Augustine was to your satisfaction. The hotel opened as a Hampton Inn and then the name changed to Hampton Inn & Suites in April of 2007. The staff and management is very particular about the cleanliness and service provided to our guests and we are pleased you noticed. Reggie is always up to the task of providing wonderful service to our guests.
Our price point and again service is a good reason many guests will decide to stay with us. Thank you again, for taking time out of your schedule to write your review and we look forward in seeing you in the near future.
Coastal South Carolina, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2009

It was a phenomenal hotel. The location is wonderful. Also, the rooms are REALLY nice! There is a beautiful garden area outside. The hotel is even nicer than any of the pictures look.

My mother and I stayed there right before Thanksgiving. It was a last minute decision, and I found some wonderful reviews for this hotel on tripadvisor. Be sure to ask the desk person for the wonderful seafood place to eat just minutes away.

I just came back to read reviews before I make a reservation for this Fall. Obviously the hotel is great, and Reggie is still there. :-)

• Stayed November 2008
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
JohnSt_Augustine, Public Relations at Hampton Inn & Suites St. Augustine - Vilano Beach, responded to this review, May 11, 2009
Thanks you TripAdvisor from Mt. Pleasant, S.C. for your comments concerning your stay last Thanksgiving. We are pleased that you are considering staying with us once again this year. We are pleased that you have consulted TripAdvisor to see what our customers have to say about us in the past six months. Yes, Reggie is our Ambassor and still doing a fine job during breakfast. We do look forward in seeing you later this year and thanks again for taking time out of your schedule to review our customers comments.
Tampa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2009

Before I arrived I was a little skeptical and was not expecting a warm welcome. The staff member I spoke to on the phone days before my arrival was short and not very friendly. However, when I checked in (I believe it was the same person I spoke with)he was very helpful. He seemed to remember our conversation and was doing his best to accommodate our needs. Every staff member we came across was very welcoming.
The hotel is beautiful! We had two rooms on the first floor and one room had a patio and it made the room. It was a great place to sit and talk and feel the breeze off the ocean. Housekeeping was good however I think they need to spend more time on the floors. It did not appear the floor had been vacuumed during our several days there. The rest of the room was clean.
I did not use the pool or the workout area however both looked nice and clean. I did use the computer and printer in the lobby and it worked well. Breakfast was a typical Hampton breakfast. The landscaping was beautiful.
I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you TripAdvisor member from Tampa for your review. We are pleased that you had a wonderful time in St. Augustine while staying with us. We do appreciate your constructive comments and management has reviewed with our staff your concerns. Again, we a glad your stay was pleasant and thanks for taking time out of your schedule to write us your comments. We look forward in seeing your in the near future.
california
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2009

This hotel is just a few minutes from the historic area and right across the street from the beach. The area is a bit out of the way but it was quiet and the beach was nice. The rooms are comfy and the breakfast was OK. I found the front desk people helpful and friendly. When we got to the room the toilet was dirty and I called the front desk. they sent someone up right away and she cleaned it.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JohnSt_Augustine, Public Relations at Hampton Inn & Suites St. Augustine - Vilano Beach, responded to this review, April 17, 2009
Thank you TripAdvisor member from California for your recent review. The staff and management are pleased that you enjoyed you stay while visiting St. Augustine. Many of our guests, such as yourself enjoy the peaceful surroundings and with steps to the beach and minutes to downtown you have the best of both worlds. Our front desk staff has alway been very hospitable and alway tends to our guest needs. I do apologize for the error in the houskeeping area. I am pleased that it was corrected right away. We are glad that you had the time to write your comments and we look forward in seeing you in the future.
Charlotte
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2009

We are frequent guests of Hampton Inns so have many other Hamptons to compare this one too. We stayed here several days on a family vacation. It is the only decent place to stay in this town of Vilano Beach. Area leaves alot to be desired but was fine for our purposes as we wanted to see the sites in Saint Augustine. Lobby is beautiful with 2 computers that work well. Front desk staff was ok but not overly friendly. Would not let us check in early. Were disapointed that we did not have a balcony although we requested one through Travelocity. Carpet was worn and a bit dirty. With the exception of the carpet (and a filthy light switch in bathroom) room was quite clean and I am quite picky about this. Small fridge and microwave in room but no dishes or utensils.

King bed was comfortable. Price is a good value for what you get. Beach was ok but a bit rougher as people are allowed to take their cars/trucks with blaring music on it.

Breakfast was usual Hampton stuff. Frozen items and stuff out of a jar. Really think they could upgrade their breakfasts. Reggie seemed to have a hard time keeping everything stocked. He was a bit intrusive. Good breakfast helpers should quietly go about their jobs and not even be noticed and definitely not expect a tip for a self service breakfast. He left tips on tables apparently to get others to notice and do the same. I didn't b/c I thought this was just plain rude.

Pool had a cheese stick in the bottom for 2 days so apparently it wasn't being cleaned everyday. Although I tried approximately 8 times there never any clean towels at the pool. An annoyance and definitely unacceptable. Pool chairs were dirty as well.

Most of weight equipment was broken in the fitness room.

So all in all this was an ok place to stay but definitely could make some simple improvements to make it a top notch place to stay.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
JohnSt_Augustine, Public Relations at Hampton Inn & Suites St. Augustine - Vilano Beach, responded to this review, April 10, 2009
Thank you TripAdvisor member from Charlotte for your constructive comments. The staff and management is disappointed that certain areas of the hotel were a concern to you. We have addressed and corrected those areas with the staff and mangement that we have control over. There are certain areas, such as breakfast that Hampton requires specific food items to be served. Being attentive and friendly is what our guests come to expect of our staff. This has been a standard of Hampton and the hotel since we opened. Unfortunately, tips on any table are left by many guests and are picked up as soon as possible. Again, we due appriciate your time in writing your review and recommending the hotel to your friends.
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2009

My 3 Girlfriends and I booked a quick weekend getaway and stayed at the Hampton Inn Saturday Night through Sunday in Early April. I chose this hotel after reading all of the great reviews on Tripadvisor. The location is wonderful! The hotel is walking distance to the beach and a short driving distance into the heart of historical St. Augustine. The rooms were spacious and very clean. The 'hot' continental breakfast was better than some breakfasts I've had staying at an actual 'Bed and Breakfast'.

The beaches behind the hotel were beautiful and you can drive right on them without even having 4WD. However there is a $7.00 fee. The hotel pool was large and very gorgeous as was the surrounding pool lounge area. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. This hotel is a must stay if you are looking for a reasonable hotel in a great location!

Travelers Note: If you are in the area I highly recommend a visit to 'J.P. Henley's' for food or drinks!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank babyglitz
JohnSt_Augustine, Public Relations at Hampton Inn & Suites St. Augustine - Vilano Beach, responded to this review, April 9, 2009
Thank you TripAdvisor member from Boca for your wonderful review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us while visiting St. Augustine. The feature and benefits of the Hampton is a pleasant surpise to many of our guests. With steps to the beach and minutes to Downtown, it make us an ideal place to stay. We do appreciate the time spent writing your comments and we look forward in seeing you again in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilano Beach
Hampton Inn St. Augustine Beach
#5 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,227 reviews
BEST WESTERN St. Augustine Beach Inn
BEST WESTERN St. Augustine Beach...
#3 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach
Ascend Collection Castillo Real
Ascend Collection Castillo Real
#2 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Augustine/Historical District

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites St. Augustine - Vilano Beach? Share your experiences!