Hampton Inn & Suites St. Augustine - Vilano Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Jacksonville, United States
“Beach Stay”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

When in need of a beach location to unwind and reconnect with your spouse, try this place. Steps away from a great beach, plenty of parking, great staff, good breakfast and minutes from historic site at St. Augustine, FL.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Joey M, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites St. Augustine - Vilano Beach, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Manuel L,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for your review! We are thrilled that you and your spouse chose our property for some rest and relaxation.

We hope to see the two of you again very soon!

Joey M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Hebrew first
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We visited last year and stayed several nights, and this year we booked for a whole week.

The Vilano Beach area is slowly changing, and waking up to the fact that this sleepy hollow could be a really fantastic resort, being some 10 minutes drive away from downtown St Augustine with all its tourist shops and restaurants, Vilano Beach could be much improved,but until that happens most hotel guests will stray away at night and head for DownTown St. Augustine.

I guess its fair to say that the Hampton Inn & Suites Hotel dominates the resort, however there are a few other local smallish motels very close by gradually gaining a foothold.

By American standards this place for us (English) seems very much par for the course, nothing particularly fantastic but then nothing really bad. It does what it says on the tin but with a few shortcomings.

Unsurprisingly visitors come here due to its proximity to the beach, a 2 minute walk will take you to the wide and long beach but take note there is absolutely no shade from the relentless sun, it is also possible to drive onto the beach for a small charge.

The hotel has a decent size pool, with no life guard, it is mostly empty, with plenty of beds and chairs with towels provided by the hotel, if you want a sunshade then take note, in my opinion there are not enough.

There is a pool bar which for the week that we were there was open just on two afternoons, why not all the time - well only the hotel knows why, maybe the hotel prefers guests to buy their refreshments and nibbles from the nearby Publix?

Another gripe about the pool area is that there is a constant playing of the most terrible music, I would describe the kind of music as " the worst ever 100 tunes and songs ever recorded".

Our room (number 239) had a nice sea view, plus balcony to sit out on and quite handy for drying clothes on.

I was surprised to learn that there are no special rates for guests staying longer than a long weekend, prices include breakfast which is good if you are staying a couple of days but really any longer then the breakfast becomes very boring with not much choice but then I guess if its free then its passable.

The cleaning of our room was just about acceptable, many small things were missed, it seems that the cleaning staff are afraid to move things in the room for fear of repercussions. The balcony floor was never cleaned of bird poo, which is not acceptable, but being British we have learnt how to complain yet.

It sounds like I'm a boring old (English) fart, but I am not. The hotel has several good points, I just feel that this good hotel could very easily be turned into a "great" hotel".

For a short weekend stay you will not be disappointed, any longer then you may be more picky, in any event do go and enjoy, and please give Reggie the breakfast supervisor/manager our very best wishes and regards from Avi and Stephen, for sure he will remember us x x x

Room Tip: If you do not mind not having a sea view then the standard rooms with no views are still quite spaci...
1 Thank spencerstephen27
Joey M, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites St. Augustine - Vilano Beach, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear binleywoods,

Thank you for visiting us and for your review of our hotel. We are delighted that you chose our location for your trip to St. Augustine. We will certainly take note of your suggestions regarding our pool area, music and balcony areas and work on improving them.

We will make sure to let Reggie know you mentioned him in your review! We hope to see you during your next visit to St. Augustine!

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Hotel accomodations was very convinient. The beach is 2 minutes away. The hotel is celan and quiet. The breakfast items was delicious and fresh. The staff was very friendly and helpful with everything. I defenetly recomend this hotel to any one traveling no matter where your stay will be.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Gilberto O
Joey M, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites St. Augustine - Vilano Beach, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear Gilberto O,

Wow! We are thrilled that you were able to relax and enjoy your stay with us! Thank you for your review of our hotel. We do hope to see you here again very soon to enjoy St. Augustine.

Tallahassee
Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

Paid $250+ a night at the peak of the Summer season... Something I've never done before.... Was really looking forward to our stay with the family over the 4th of July weekend. Only to find that the hot tub is broken, won't be fixed during my stay. Very disappointed....

Stayed July 2014
Dear Tallyfam,

Thank you for your business. I apologize for the inconvenience you encountered with our spa. I do hope that you found the rest of your stay to be enjoyable and will return to visit us soon. We will have the spa at full temperature!

Laurel, United States
Reviewed July 3, 2014

I would recommend this Hotel for its cleanliness, hospitality and convenience to stores and the beach. Very family friendly, loved it. Front desk staff and housekeeping were very accomodating. Stores and beach in walking distance. Stayed in a King Suite with jacuzzi. Two rooms with sofa bed, two flatscreen tvs, two refrigerators, ocean view w/ balcony, very comfortable.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

1 Thank Geeta M
Dear Geeta M,

Thank you so much for your endorsement of our property! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our service, amenities and location to your liking. We will have your ocean view, jacuzzi suite ready for your return visit!

Knoxville, United States
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Vilano beach is the perfect place for a quiet get-away. Much less crowded than St. Augustine Beach, plus, it is closer to the city and historical attractions. The Hotel staff was helpful and friendly. We asked for and received an upgrade. I recommend ocean view rooms on the third or fourth floor.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Joey M, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites St. Augustine - Vilano Beach, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Dear Donald M,

We appreciate your business and your review of our hotel! We are thrilled that you found our location, service and amenities to your liking. As you noted, we are in a convenient location for those looking for a quiet spot on the beach while still being close to the historic district.

We'll have a third floor ocean view room ready for your next visit!

USA
Reviewed June 28, 2014

Unfortunately, I am spending a portion of my vacation writing to about one of the employees, Lacy, who is a front desk attendant. I have NEVER been treated with such rude and condescending tones while vacationing, and my husband and I vacation quite frequently within and out of the country. We are business owners who are well traveled, well educated individuals, and we value giving and receiving quality customer service because that attribute alone will make or break any business. We are usually loyal Hilton-brand guests and had hoped to have a great experience at this location, to no avail. We should have taken the advice of several of the trip advisor members who indicated the front desk staff at this hotel leaves MUCH to be desired.

From the time that we checked in, my husband was met with such discourteous behavior by Lacy. We decided to put that behind us and press forward with our vacation. Well, the icing on the cake happened this morning. I asked the kind housekeeping attendant on our floor for replacements towels and toiletries. He kindly received our dirty towels and replaced them with wash cloths, but indicated he did not have any more clean bath towels and I'd need to come back later. My husband and I needed to shower to head out on the town, so we decided to walk down to the lobby and ask if there were any clean towels available.

When we were approaching the desk, my husband mentioned that he really didn't want to deal with Lacy because she was the one who had been rude to him the day before during the check-in process. I agreed I'd ask about the towels. I greeted Lacy pleasantly and began to recount the situation about the towels and asked if there were any available. She said she could look to try and see if she could find any. Since her response seemed to indicate there may not be any clean towels available, I explained that I was wondering what would have happened if we didn't have our DND sign on the door because it seems there should at least be enough towels to replace ours as we hadn't had our roomed cleaned yet.

At this point, I was taken aback because Lacy immediately began to YELL and exclaimed that "DND MEANS DO NOT DISTURB SO THEY ARE NOT GOING TO CLEAN YOUR ROOM IF DND IS ON THE DOOR." I inquired as to why she was yelling and told her that I clearly know what DND means but that is not what I'm asking. My husband tried to interject at this point to explain that I wasn't asking why they hadn't cleaned the room, but rather why there were no clean towels at least for our room since we had not yet had our roomed cleaned.

She continued to yell that IN ORDER TO HAVE CLEAN TOWELS, DIRTY TOWELS HAVE TO BE WASHED. THERE WON'T BE CLEAN TOWELS UNTIL THE DIRTY TOWELS ARE WASHED AND THEN THEY CAN BE REPLACED WITH CLEAN TOWELS. At this point, I am also yelling because I'm angry and will not be treated like an imbecile. How much condescension is one expected to take? The answer is that one should never be subjected to it in the first place. So, I tell her that she is VERY RUDE and ask if she is explaining that we would only have gotten clean towels after they took our dirty towels, washed them and returned those same towels to our room? That's what it sounded like she was yelling at us. She yelled again that DIRTY TOWELS HAVE TO BE WASHED TO HAVE CLEAN TOWELS. She is very uncouth!!

To make a long story a bit shorter, I repeated numerous times that I couldn't believe how rude she was acting and that she had a terrible attitude. She said she was sorry I "THINK" she has an attitude and that she has poor hearing and that is why she was yelling. Come on! Really? I have interacted with many people with poor hearing, as well as people who just talk loudly in general, and as I explained to her, a person's expression(s) determine(s) whether the loud talking is RUDE or not! She then apologized for me thinking that she was rude. Okay - again that is inappropriate, and is not a real apology at all. She can't apologize "for me", she should be apologizing for HERSELF. It is what we call a "nice nasty" response. She finally went and retrieved bath towels for our room and was still very ill-mannered about the situation. By this time, two housekeeping staff who had politely greeted us (and we them as well as asking how they were doing today) in the hallway had approached the counter as well. My husband was explaining the issue to them and they kindly listened as well and seemed to agree with him in nonverbal cues.

On our way to the elevator, we decided to speak to a manager. We returned to the front desk and waited for quite some time as we listened to someone laughing and whispering behind the partition. I seriously hope there is not a monitor that shows guests waiting, that would be a whole other issue to report.

Anyway, finally Christina came out as if she was looking for something else and asked nonchalantly how she could help us. We asked for a manager. She said everyone who works at the front desk is a manager. I responded, "So, Lacy is a manager because she has a very terrible attitude." She said Lacy was a manager to which Lacy came around the corner. That made no difference to me, of course. I've been taught to never say anything about someone that you wouldn't say if you were face to face with that person. I asked for a manager who is above Lacy, to which Christina said she was that manager. That is very suspicious as well because clearly we are returning to make a complaint. Why play games about the level of management among the staff? Anyway, we explained the situation to Christina and she did have a better personality for at least listening without abruptly cutting us off as Lacy has a knack for doing. After explaining everything, she apologized, but noted that many of their guests love Lacy. That was inappropriate to say because it implies that we are the issue and it discounts our experience. So, for people who do not like Hitler, are those individuals the problem or were Hitler's actions the problem? Each individual is important, in general, and in business, particularly if the customer was being antagonized and spoken to disdainfully by your employee. If one person's experience is poor, that is significant. You shouldn't support your employee in wrongdoing. How will anything ever change?

Christina asked what else she could do to make us feel better because "I see you already have clean towels". Again, seems likes a passive aggressive response, but we just noted that we felt better since she at least listened instead of over-talking and yelling at us while we tried to ask questions and explain our situation.

At this point, we will NEVER, EVER reside at this location again even it is has the last room on the face of this earth. I'd prefer to sleep on a park bench. I believe nature has better skills than Lacy. Clearly, according to trip advisor, we are NOT the only people to feel like this about the front desk staff at this location. Please take the time to review the unflattering reviews and you will see a true glimpse of some major negatives that are prevalent at this location.

7 Thank Traveling_Jewel
Joey M, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites St. Augustine - Vilano Beach, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Dear Traveling_Jewel,

Thank you for your business and for your review of our hotel. I was disappointed to learn that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I apologize for any inconvenience.

You should have received an e-mail from me regarding your stay. Please, feel free to contact me via e-mail or directly by phone at the hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilano Beach
Hampton Inn St. Augustine Beach
#5 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,279 reviews
Best Western St. Augustine Beach Inn
Best Western St. Augustine Beach...
#2 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach
Ascend Collection Castillo Real
Ascend Collection Castillo Real
#3 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Augustine/Historical District

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites St. Augustine - Vilano Beach? Share your experiences!