“Does not live up to its rating”

Hampton Inn & Suites St. Augustine - Vilano Beach
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Vilano Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 8, 2008

We stayed at the Hampton Inn and Suites, Vilano Beach, for two nights while visting St. Augustine. I booked the hotel based on the previous rave reviews by other Trip Advisor members. Unfortunately the property did not live up to its reputation in my view.
I found our room to be dark, stuffy, tired and in need of renovation.
Additionally, there was considerable noise from the room above us which finally stopped after we complained to guest services.

When we had a problem with our TV, a handyman was quickly dispatched; however he was unable to resolve the problem and left the room saying he would "be right back". He never returned.

The staff is friendly and yes, Reggie really is wonderful and helpful at the breakfast bar. Unfortunately, the "scrambled eggs" that are served there are either powdered or reconstituted and were tasteless. Either serve "real" scrambled eggs or eliminate the choice and go for a strictly continental breakfast.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Seagirl
There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn & Suites St. Augustine - Vilano Beach

Reviewed January 31, 2008

This was a difficult review to write. The reason is that while the hotel itself was impressive, the surrounding area was a bit of a rundown slum, with virtually nothing to offer tourists. Although I generally agree with the opinions of other reviewers about the atmosphere and amenities offered inside of the hotel, I am a bit confused as to why no other reviewer even commented about the surrounding community. This is a conglomeration of closed and seemingly abandoned restaurants, roads closed due to construction, and well weathered residences. Other than a “basic” Italian restaurant down the street and a seafood restaurant a few miles north, the closest open tourist attractions were across the bridge in St. Augustine. And, according to the hotel’s desk clerk, parking in town was limited.

Our ocean view room did offer a glimpse of the ocean, but also included a broader view of a torn-up road, construction equipment, and the shell of an apparently closed restaurant. If you look at some of the photos posted by other reviewers, you will see what I am talking about.

I honestly do not understand why such a desirable property was built in such an uncomplimentary location. Perhaps the construction is part of a master plan to remodel the community into an upscale location more suitable for this hotel. I hope that this is the case, because this hotel deserves more from its surroundings. Meanwhile however, if you’re seeking amenities outside of your hotel, you may want to consider staying elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
6  Thank EricG
Reviewed January 29, 2008

We stayed at the Hampton Inn and Suites on Vilano Beach to celebrate New Year's together, and we had a wonderful stay. The hotel is very clean, modern, and beautifully decorated. And the staff is extremely helpful and friendly. Our stay was even more special because of Reggie, the King of the Breakfast Bar (as a past reviewer calls him). Reggie portrays the epitome of excellent service and kindness. His personal attention, humor, and thoughtful suggestions regarding the best places to see and experience in St. Augustine made our two day stay there very unique and memorable. Thank you, Reggie! We have told our family and friends all about you! And we will return to the Hampton Inn and Suites again largely because of you.

Stayed: December 2007
3  Thank HappyTravels8
Reviewed January 15, 2008

What a great hotel! I booked this hotel after reading the other reviews, and they were right on the money! We had a corner room with a king-bed, oceanfront balcony and jacuzzi - it turned out to be a 2-room suite, what a pleasant surprise! The breakfast area was very nice, a good variety of choices, and a nice area to sit and plan your day. While the hotel is not immediately on the beach, there is a good unobstructed view from the balconies, and the entire hotel is very nicely done. I cannot think of anything that would have made this visit better, except being able to stay a little bit longer!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
7  Thank landandseaciar
Reviewed January 14, 2008

I had heard about TripAdvisor from the Clark Howard show so much, I used it to make my reservation for our anniversary. I didn't know where to stay, but made my reservations at the Hampton Inn based upon its #2 ranking and the great reviews. Let me say that I was not disappointed.

I reserved an oceanview king suite w/whirlpool. Upon arriving (early), the head maid accompanied me to the room to make sure that it had in fact been prepared. It blew me away. The accommodations were more of what I would have expected from a luxury class hotel (i.e., Sheraton, Wyndham, etc.). It had a nice size living-room with sofa, chair and ottoman, and a tv-with a 3.1 DVD stereo. Upon going down a short hallway you reach the nicely appointed bathroom, with jetted tub, standing shower (with *2* adjustable shower-heads). Above the tub were a set of plantation shutters that open up into the master bedroom--pretty cool. The bedroom was nicely appointed with furnishings from the Thomasville Hemmingway Collection (hey, I'm a furniture guy, I checked the drawers). Our room was on the third floor (room 335 is an end room) and the balcony overlooked the ocean. It had a table set with 2 chairs that my wife and I shared breakfast on one morning.

With the finely appointed rooms, and close proximity to the historic district (<3 miles), this is a great choice and we will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Jason F
Reviewed January 11, 2008

My daughter and I flew from Columbus into St. Augustine on Skybus (the only passenger airline that lands at the St. Augustine airport, I hear), rented a car, and spent three nights at the Hampton Inn on Vilano Beach. It was so convenient, so easy, so relaxing, and so much fun. The plane arrived very early and departed very late, and the managers very graciously let us check in early and leave a bit late. The hotel is everything the reviews and pictures led us to expect. Our room was big, the beds were lush. When we needed a break from touring, there were comfortable chairs in the cozy courtyard and by the pool. The computers in the lobby made it very convenient to check reservations and email. Reggy made breakfast something to look forward to each morning. He was very helpful, a joy to talk to and full of good suggestions. Chris was very kind and a great help, too.

The beach was just a few steps away. The "sand" was really crushed shells (ouch!), so be sure to bring flipflops or watershoes, but it was beautiful and there were plenty of sandy beaches nearby.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank princesspam
Reviewed January 5, 2008

As some of you can see the hotel has changed from the Casa Del Mar to Hampton Inn. I was worried that reggie would not be there but was pleasantly surprised that he was indeed there. We spent our first holiday away from home there and it was wonderful. The service is still excellent as always, only thing I noticed was that with the breakfast buffet, they don't have bacon. That was about it. They give you a choice of pillows, beds are super comfortable and rooms are spacious and clean. Toiletries are just average though. They have construction in the area, but the hotel is fine. We enjoyed the pool and hot tub immensly and met some wonderful families that were at the hotel too! And getting a Merry Christmas from Reggie and a nice cup of coffee made the trip great. We would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in that area. It is a nice area, quiet and the hotel is great! You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank RacingPrincess
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilano Beach
Hilton Garden Inn St. Augustine Beach
Hilton Garden Inn St. Augustine ...
#4 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach
La Fiesta Ocean Inn & Suites
La Fiesta Ocean Inn & Suites
#1 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach
Hilton St. Augustine Historic Bayfront

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites St. Augustine - Vilano Beach? Share your experiences!