“Beach Not the Objective”

Ocean Sands Beach Inn
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Vilano Beach
Bluffton, South Carolina
“Beach Not the Objective”
Reviewed June 5, 2014

My vacation was centered upon being near St. Augustine in an affordable and clean place. This was met. My room, though small, was clean and all of the staff were very friendly and helpful. Having to cross a very busy road to get to the beach was an inconvenience and would not be easy access with young children. It was a good price, however, and quiet. My room faced the pool which was not on the highway side of the building so I cannot speak to those rooms. Different staff members helped with area information and the pool area was neat and the pool was clean. The bed was unusually comfortable and was made each day and bathroom cleaned with efficiency when we were out.

Room Tip: Higher floors and away from A1A would be my personal recommendation, but keep in mind that I am an a...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Well priced and very close to downtown St. Augustine. LOVED the Jacuzzi tub in our room! We were right across from the beach and had our own private access. I wish we didn't have to leave! Breakfast was great. Cereal, waffles, sausage, hashbrowns and so much more! Thanks to Lisa and the other wonderful staff members for a great stay.

• Stayed May 2014
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

Me and my husband did a few days of research and decided on this hotel. Hotel staff was nice, hotel itself is old. Needs renovated badly. Our shower was very dirty and the view was the side of a hill. I knew going in that the beach was across the street, no biggy, HOWEVER room 111 faces a grassy bank/hill. Huge let down for $150/night. I mean, come on...for this price, can I at least overlook the pool or something?! We didn't see any bugs (was actually waiting on them to come out at night) and there was what appeared to be dog hair in the refrigerator. Perhaps our room wasn't even cleaned before our arrival-or cleaned by someone who needs a different job. There are much better places out there....don't be discouraged and let places like this give the whole area a bad name. After riding around the area, we decided that staying in St Augustine Beach would have been better for us. We left and stayed the rest of the time in Jacksonville Beach (30 minutes north of St Augustine) at the Hyatt for $99/night and it's gorgeous AND clean. I can do old hotels as long as they are clean. This one was not. Also, one last note-the pool is very small. Probably the smallest pool you've ever seen. For those who rated this 5 stars, I'd like to see what you're used to staying in!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Loves2flytheworld
msample, General Manager at Ocean Sands Beach Inn, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
I am very sorry you did not enjoy your stay. There are a huge number of guests that really do enjoy our hotel quite a bit. Our first floor standard rooms, like room 111, do not have a view and are next to a berm protecting the hotel, but many guests enjoy these rooms quite a bit. The rate over the weekend is $149 a night, but does come down quite a bit Sunday through Thursday. I believe we are very fairly priced as most of the hotels in our area charge well over $200 a night during weekends. We do have beautiful wetland and ocean view rooms available and I'm sorry you did not book one of those rooms for your visit.

While we are very diligent on pest control, your comment about "waiting for bugs to come out" was simply unfair and not true. Our pool is 16,000 gallons and is not large, but certainly not as small as you make it out to be and it is enjoyed all the time by our guests. Also, we do not heat the pool during the summer season as the daily temperatures usually are over 90 degrees and most guests want to cool down a little and the water is already over 80 degrees.

Thank you for your comments and I'm happy you were able to find a room at the Hyatt that you enjoyed, but the Hyatt is not near the beach and is a corporate hotel located on the river in Jacksonville. Our fantastic beachfront location, great staff, beautiful hotel, and location close to downtown St Augustine has made many family vacations very special.
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Our whole family stayed here for a wedding and it was perfect. The staff could not be more helpful and friendly and made our entire stay just wonderful. The hotel is small and not big & fancy but perfect for a beach vacation. The rooms are a good size and it is very clean. Fantastic location being just across the street from a gorgeous beach. Pool is small but perfect for our needs. Would definitely recommend and stay again when visiting the area. Lisa, Vanessa & Melinda really made the experience and took time to be personally invested in our needs. Love them!!

Room Tip: All rooms were spacious and clean. If you're particular about a perfect view upgrade to a first...
Winter Haven, Florida, United States
Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

the rooms were clean the staff was phenomenal! Lucy the cat was always there for us to cuddle with. Breakfast was always good. And we enjoyed that there was a private beach so we can actually relax and enjoy our time.lots of great local restaurants nearby if you don't want to go back into St Augustine. We will be back to visit soon. Excellent excellent excellent.

• Stayed May 2014
Lake Mary, Florida
Reviewed May 28, 2014

3 of us stayed at this hotel over Memorial Day weekend. The hotel is directly across the street from a very nice stretch of Vilano Beach. The street can be a bit harrowing to cross with traffic but it's worth the risk. The staff were very nice and helpful. The hotel itself is a bit dated and needs some work. The breakfast included is not very good and the coffee is terrible. There are several restaurants and a Publix nearby and it is only 3 miles or so from the Old City. If you want to visit St Augustine without staying in the middle of the Old City this is a good option. Prices were high due to the holiday weekend. May stay again when prices are lower but wouldn't stay again at these rates.

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor with a spa tub
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
msample, General Manager at Ocean Sands Beach Inn, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
I am very happy you had a nice stay at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. I have to admit, I am a coffee person and to see that you thought our coffee was poor was like a dagger through the heart to me. I immediately investigated the cause and I believe that a new employee had been improperly trained and was not making the morning coffee at the correct strength. He was keel hauled and staked out at the beach at low tide! The coffee issue has been fixed!

I sincerely apologize for the coffee issues and I can assure you we have corrected the issues. I installed k-cup coffee makers in all of our guestroom and have flavored creamers because I know how important coffee can be to weary travelers. I also apologize if our breakfast did not meet your expectations. We do really try to provide a nice way to start the day and our hot breakfast includes eggs, sausage, waffles, potato's, and lots of other good stuff.

I hope you will be back and enjoy our fantastic location in the future. Our beach is second to none and it is part of our property. We are actually the closest hotel to downtown St Augustine with it's own beach and surrounded by a natural, scenic setting. Our hotel is also the ONLY hotel in the area with unobstructed views of the beautiful sunrise over the Atlantic and unspoiled views of the sunset over the marsh and wetlands by the infra-coastal waterway.
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed May 27, 2014

I can't say enough good about this place! The staff was friendly, the rooms were spacious, and the beach was amazing. We went memorial day weekend with our 15 month old. It was perfect for a family with young kids. We booked a room second floor with an ocean view. We had the patio to use while our son napped or after he went to bed at night. The fridge was big enough for some snacks and beer. The king room had a sitting area that was spacious. The rooms are brightly decorated and the breakfast is as good as you could reasonably expect from a free hotel breakfast. The staff was outgoing and welcoming.

I will say, that is you want spotless and fancy this was not that. It smelled like a beach hotel would - slightly damp and familiar with spring break. It was, however, clean and comfortable. I would highly recommend this, particularly for anyone wanting a quiet beach trip for a family.

Room Tip: the beach view is worth the extra price. The wetland views are nice, too, but you have to look past...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilano Beach
La Fiesta Ocean Inn & Suites
La Fiesta Ocean Inn & Suites
#1 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach
Best Western St. Augustine Beach Inn
Best Western St. Augustine Beach...
#2 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach
Hampton Inn St. Augustine Beach
Hampton Inn St. Augustine Beach
#6 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach
Southern Oaks Inn
Southern Oaks Inn
#11 of 78 in St. Augustine

Been to Ocean Sands Beach Inn? Share your experiences!