“Excellent Stay!”

Ocean Sands Beach Inn
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Vilano Beach
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We stayed in Rm #115 for 3 nights in early December. Kudos to Laura, at the front desk! She is very helpful and fun to talk with. There are many wonderful things to say about this quaint hotel across the road from St Augustine Beach:

1. The hotel is only 3 miles from the Old City Gates. It is the best of both worlds - quiet beach stay, but close to the vibrant Old City. Furthermore, the Old Town Trolley will send their Beach Bus to pick you up and bring you back or the Trolley's main center. Or you can chose to drive there. The Trolley has free parking is only 2.2 miles from the Hotel.
2. 1st floor ocean front rooms do not have a view of the ocean, due to the berm between the hotel and the road, but you have direct access to cross the street from your sliding glass door. There are also 2 side doors, with beach showers to wash of the sand.
3. If you didn't come prepared for the beach, no worries. You can rent a beach chair and an umbrella for $5/day from the hotel.
4. Rooms are nicely decorated and have comfortable beds with duvets, a comfortable easy chair,a 42" TV, microwave, mini frig and a Keurig coffee maker. The HVAC has a digital temperature readout and a "fan on" feature, which provides constant air circulation and white noise.
5. In addition to the standard continental breakfast fare, there are hot scrambled eggs, sausage and a waffle maker. While the breakfast area is small (seating only 12) there is an outside balcony for additional seating.
6. We noticed a broken toilet seat and inoperable vent fan in the bathroom the first night. We reported it the next morning and is was immediately fixed - great attention to customer needs.
7. I've never seen anyone comment on toilet paper, but we all think about it. The Hotel has a noticeably higher quality paper than most hotels, which you will appreciate!

Room Tip: Rooms 115 & 215 are slightly larger than the others, based on the construction of the hotel. Ki...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank usc33
msample, General Manager at Ocean Sands Beach Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

I love when we get such great reviews as yours! We all are working really hard to be the best little beach hotel in the St Augustine area and everyday we get a little better. Most of our renovations are complete now and the property has never looked better. I hope you get a chance to come back and see us this spring or summer and you can enjoy our beach during some really nice days. Thank you very much for staying with us and providing such an outstanding review.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Just wanted start out by saying the staff was so great...thank you for making our stay worry free. The rooms were clean, breakfast was great and lots of it. The beach is right across the street and very easy to get to. We were in St. Augustine for a wedding so we were close enough to town and right at the beach too.. Bought a t-shirt so I would remember the name of hotel, we will be back.. If you are looking for small, staff friendly, clean hotel at fair rate, try here. Again thank you staff for the pleasant stay.

Room Tip: If you can't do stairs ask for ground floor
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Relax you're at the beach now! Thank you for such a nice review and I will pass all your kind comments on to our staff. Our private beach is a great place to unwind. I love to describe our hotel as very natural and unspoiled because our little piece of the beach is so beautiful. No large condo complexes or other large developments are around us and we have live, real nature all around us from dolphins in the ocean to beautiful sunsets over the marshlands and inter-coastal waterway. Thanks again for your comments and all of us are looking forward to you returning for another visit.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

rooms were clean with ample space, loved the Keurig coffee! Staff extremely helpful and knowledgeable of local places for entertainment and food! Nice breakfast to save meal$$$$....private beach was awesome to sit and watch dolphins or cast a line! Will be back again for sure!

Room Tip: get the 2nd level ocean views If available, worth the few extra dollars!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Jack M
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Although the rooms are spacious and clean, the walls in this hotel are EXTREMELY THIN. I went during Pirate Weekend (unbeknownst to me) which is why I guess the hotel was so packed with noisy children and inconsiderate upstairs neighbors. When I asked the front desk to kindly address the screaming children outside my door, nothing was done. I didn't get any sleep because the patrons above me sounded as if they were moving furniture. The front desk didn't even ask how I enjoyed my stay when I checked out! If you're looking for a quiet getaway for the weekend, this is NOT the place for you.

• Stayed: November 2013
msample, General Manager at Ocean Sands Beach Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

Thank you for your review and I can assure you that we take all reviews very seriously. I apologize that you did not have a great stay during your visit. It is our policy to ask each guest on check-out how their stay was and I guess we missed with you. Pirate weekend was a little challenging, but I can also assure you that we did very much speak to guests that were being loud and we actually did ask one family to leave the hotel because of their unruliness. It's sometimes difficult to control if the parents are not actively involved. This is not normal for our hotel and most of our guests enjoy a nice quiet and relaxing vacation when they come for a visit. I hope you'll give us another chance to show you that loud and out of control children is not normal at our hotel.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Staff are really helpful and friendly. Great location. Good breakfast with plenty of choice. Clean and comfortable rooms, new carpet in the room we stayed in. Just across from the beach, you can sit and watch the dolphins. minutes drive from St Augustine.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank socksthecat57
Reviewed October 16, 2013

On way back north decided to stop a few days in St. Augustine and stay at the Ocean Sands Beach Inn. I think it has 24 rooms and is just across A1A from the Ocean. Very private part of the Beach. Inn was very clean and undergoing some renovation, staff very friendly and helpful. We had a room on the back side (away from the highway) and it was very quite. I would recommend for a couple day stay as the rooms are small. We enjoyed the visit.

Room Tip: The second floor rooms on the Ocean side have a good view of the ocean, the rooms on the back side a...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank James R
msample, General Manager at Ocean Sands Beach Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

First, thanks for a great review, all of us here at the Ocean Sands Beach Inn sincerely love our jobs and making sure all of our guests have a great time during their visit. Next, while we are a small hotel, you sold us a little short, we are actually closer to 30 rooms, but we provide big hotel services. We are also glad you liked our renovation so far and we look forward to you coming back for another visit!

Reviewed October 14, 2013

My husband and I celebrated my birthday there. We had the best time. The staff is very friendly and it is very clean. The food area were breakfast is served is very small. But over all would recommend it to someone.

Room Tip: Corner room is much more sunnier than other rooms..
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Debbie S
msample, General Manager at Ocean Sands Beach Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Thank you for your comments, I'm very happy you had a great stay and we are a nice little hotel for a weekend retreat. We are working on our breakfast area this off-season and hope to add space by moving our front desk to the opposite side of the lobby and use the space the desk is now for additional seating. I hope you'll come back in the future to see our upgrades as they happen.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilano Beach
The Ponce St. Augustine Hotel
The Ponce St. Augustine Hotel
#59 of 78 in St. Augustine
Hilton Garden Inn St. Augustine Beach
Hilton Garden Inn St. Augustine ...
#5 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach

Been to Ocean Sands Beach Inn? Share your experiences!