“Disappointing service, fair food lowered this supposedly five star restaurant way down”
Review of Gabriel's

Gabriel's
Reserve with OpenTable
Gabriel's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 10 Restaurants in Sedalia
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Hwy 85 and Hwy 67
Description: Gabriel's features elegant Northern Italian fine dining in the quaint town of Sedalia. Our restaurant is housed in the Victorian Manhart home which was built at the turn of the 1900's and converted into Gabriel's in 1985. Matthew and Jan, owners, have been serving the greater Denver area for over 20 years. Gabriel's specializes in three-course dining so you won't just get an entree. Your evening will begin with an appetizer, followed by soup or salad, then the entree of your choice. Our pricing ranges from $25 to $52 for all three courses. The extensive wine list offers a huge variety to compliment any dinner. We are conveniently located between Denver and Colorado Springs, just 20 minutes from the Tech Center and 30 from Denver. Gabriel's is perfect for all occasions; a romantic night out, a wedding, business function, holiday party and more. Indulge yourself and experience the ultimate in elegant fine dining.
Reviewed November 19, 2012

There were lots of cars so apparently this is a very popular restaurant. We had a reservation--six of us--and were seated promptly. The waiter and busboy were courteous and fun at first. My husband quietly let him know that he was paying the bill. There were approximately four tables he appeared to be serving, although he may have had others in another room, as this restaurant is arranged like a house. It took some time before our orders were taken, but this was an after wedding reception, so we had things to visit about. The order includes an appetizer, soup or salad, main course, and dessert. Everything else is extra, except water. My appetizer was extremely disappointing: a mushroom raviolli, which sounds marvelous, but the pasta was uncooked, at least 1/4 inch thick, and I had a hard time finding any mushrooms. The sauce, however, was wonderful. Another diner had the same opinion. Wine was selected and although I did not have any, the drinkers thought it was great and enjoyed three bottles during the meal. Salads were unique. The greens were beautifully presented, tied tightly and opened like a flower--very unusual--probably the best part of the meal. One basket of rolls was offered. Then we waited. And waited. And waited. I wish I had checked my watch, but it was a very long time before anyone checked on us, even to offer water. Finally, our main course came. My husband always orders steak, rare, and they did get that right. Another diner had what appeared to be a thick stew--a new dish for the restaurant and she claimed to like it, but did not eat much of it. I ordered grilled shrimp with vegetables and the shrimp certainly did not appear to have been grilled. There were a lot of them and they were tasty, but the veggies had some kind of sharp sauce that definitely destroyed the flavor of the dish. Again, disappointing. I did not feel catered to during the meal, however, others at the table were asked how they were enjoying their meals. It was a strange experience. At last came dessert, my favorite, chocolate cheesecake. But where was the chocolate? And where was the cheese? I guess it was all in my son's mousse, which was really good. Coffee was extra. At over $450 for six, I certainly would not recommend Gabriel's.

1  Thank princessLA

Reviewed October 17, 2012

I can't afford to go to this place often but when I can it's usually for a special occasion and worth the wait. I've not had anything to eat here that was less than good. Total gem for a town that really has only a couple of other dining options. It's nice to have a unique dining experience in Colorado and not have to go to downtown Denver to get it!

3  Thank Legamania
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I didn't appreciate being in a restaurant where the manager was drunk, unruly, and mean to his wait staff.

1  Thank melissa g
Reviewed October 8, 2012

After debating between 5 or 4 stars, I am giving this great establishment a 5 star review! This family owned restaurant defies a strict foodie based scale due to the unique and subtle allure of Gabriel's. The food is traditional, no fusion here but it fits a niche! Housed in a Victorian style mansion with lush gardens, it exudes romance and subdued elegance. The menu is designed so that you select your entree and that sets the price for your 4 course dinner. Prices are not inexpensive but for a range between $25 - $45 you can enjoy a four course dinner, plus additional charge for tip & drinks. The tables are covered in white linen table cloths and dimly lit candles.

This past Saturday evening my husband and I escaped, sans kids, and enjoyed one of the best evenings out in a long time. We dined at a small table situated in a bay window looking out over main street (Highway 64) in Sedalia. We were greeted by our friendly and knowledgeable server. Beginning with a nice bottle of wine, we settled in for a leisurely dinner.

My choice for the first course was the smoked salmon appetizer which was refreshing and delicious. The portion wasn't huge and that is a good thing since there is so much more to come. The next course was the MOST delicious soup I think I have ever enjoyed. I may have been so impressed because I wasn't wowed when they announced that the hot soup was a tomato spinach soup. Hmmm, thought it sounded pretty mundane and frankly uninspired. Well I couldn't have been more wrong! One taste made me swoon.... it was a lightly creamed bisque flavor with subtle hints of tomato with herbs and spinach. The courses continued until my incredible grilled lamb placed atop a dollop of heavenly Dijon cream sauce arrived. Sooooo incredibly Delicious!

My husband enjoyed the beef in a Burgundy sauce and lobster topped with a Gorgonzola cream finishing sauce. He was smitten. We tasted each others dinner and argued over who had the best dish! :-) I honestly was in a food (and wine) comma by the end of dinner and could not eat another bite, even if it was creme brulee!!! The dinner experience should be enjoyed on a evening where you want to just take your time through a leisurely four/ (five course if you can manage desert) evening. Just lovely.

***Not everyone will enjoy the limited choices when you select between 2 choices for appetizers, choice between 2 soups and choice between 2 salads. You just have to trust that the choices are delicious albeit limited. The price does not include drinks, tip or desert but your entree and 3 other courses are included.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

Second time around for us to celebrate our anniversary at Gabriel's. We like it because it's leisurely. The meal is not rushed. There are four courses served but they are plated with the perfect portion in mind so we didn't leave feeling stuffed. We even had room for a surprise dessert they brought out for us for our anniversary. The food, atmosphere and service were great we highly recommend Gabriel's for your special dining occasion. Additionally, we were caught in traffic because the road was closed due to an accident. We called and were told we would be taken care of even if we couldn't make our reservation. We called back when the road was open and gave a 15 minutes heads up, a table was waiting for us.