WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“How awesome is our God.....” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lost Valley Ranch

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sedalia
Lost Valley Ranch
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sedalia
Countryside, Illinois
“How awesome is our God.....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

...More awesome than we know! I stumbled on to LVR website in 2012 (I know now that God directed me to this wonderful place) not knowing what I was getting myself into.....Let me tell you, I found a new FAMILY,PEACE, and SERENITY! I was able to leave all the chaos from home behind me. The experience I have had the last 2 years at LVR is indescribable......you have to experience it to understand that there are no words to describe the feelings you get from LVR..........Love ya all at LVR and already missing everyone....staff and guests........see ya all next year!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Geralyn_Brescia-DeF
Tony W, General Manager at Lost Valley Ranch, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor community. It's absolutely amazing to hear what you experienced while at the ranch these last two years...peace, family and serenity. We do believe that our guests become like family during their time here and we are so happy that you were able to get that feeling also from other staff and guests. We are very excited that you are planning your return in 2014. Your family is awaiting your return. Oooo-aaaah!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Franklin, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

We returned to Lost Valley Ranch this past June. The kids ask constantly when we are returning. The kids program is superb. They are under the care of extremely caring, watchful, capable and FUN leaders who make every day an adventure in the Rockies on horseback. And it's not just horses. The kids tube down Goose Creek, visit an amazing water hole with a natural slide and rocks to jump off of, play games, visit the pool, roast s'mores at the pond...I could continue! I was NEVER worried about the safety or happiness of my kids.
For the adults, you can be as active or as lazy as you like. There are wonderful hikes, fishing trips, skeet shooting and of course, horseback rides. My dad and I went on the 7-mile hike through the forest which was probably the longest hike offered. It was a great time to get to know some of the other guests on a deeper level.
If you are on the fence about booking this vacation, call and talk to Caroline, Tony or any other of the amazing folks that call Lost Valley Ranch home. You will NOT regret this vacation.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kelli5_12
Tony W, General Manager at Lost Valley Ranch, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your summer vacation at our ranch. It was a pleasure to have you back and serve your family through our kids program as well as on hikes and in other activities here. We do believe that we hire amazing staff and that is reflected in your family's experience with the kids program. There are numerous opportunities for the adults to be a kid but to also rest and reflect if they would like. We do hope that your family returns to your home in the Rockies very soon!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

My husband and I "accidentally" came to LVR to accompany friends who invited us. This is our 5th year and we will come for years to come. The level of attention from the staff and their efforts to make your specific experience special are unending. Where else does ALL the staff know you by name on site?
As an advanced rider, I find the upper level horses trained and willing to respond to as much as I ask for, as a Progressive beginner, my husband found the horses safe, responsive and never caused anxiety.
Be prepared to overeat. The food is excellent and there is plenty. A cookie jar stands full in the lounge for snacking. Do bring your own wine if you like to drink, singles and couples can have a "cocktail hour" in the afternoon or after dinner.
While riding is by far our favorite, lounging in a hot tub or in the pool feels pretty good after a day on a horse!
We would recommend this special place for anyone who would love to be transported to a world of no cares and beautiful scenery.
JSW

Room Tip: Some cabins have jacuzzis - others normal tub's and showers.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank janbakes
We sincerely appreciate your loyalty and desire to return to Lost Valley Ranch year after year. It's encouraging to hear how our staff are taking care of you and making your experience special. We love to see familiar faces on the ranch and welcome them back to their home in the Rocky Mountains. We anticipate your return with excitement and will be waiting to greet you with a big Oooo-aaaah!
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

This was our first trip to Lost Valley Ranch, we were there for Labor Day weekend. Before we even got to the ranch the wonderful Caroline helped me make reservations & answered the million questions I had. The 9 mile driveway from the main road to the ranch made you realize you are entering the "wild west".
Our cabin "Sitting Bull" was perfect, not too high up the mountain & overlooked the barn & had a nice swing on the porch to gaze at the mountains & stars at night. It also had a fridge & fireplace to make you feel right at home. Also our bed was extremely soft & comfortable. We slept like logs. (This also could have been because we were so exhausted from our daily activities. )
What truly made our trip great was the interaction with the staff & other guests. Each day we had a meal with a different family & sometimes a staff member would eat w us too. It was a great way to meet the other guests & staff & talk about the rides you were on or going on. By the end of our stay I was saying good morning to the entire dining room. Ricky from the kitchen staff joined us for several meals & told us the history of the ranch & even got my shy son, Sean to play chess with him.
Hanna,Allison, & Jenna took care of us in the dining room & it seemed our wish was their command. Getting my picky daughter Reillyanne odd meal requests that weren't on the menus that day but was made especially for her. Our favorite meals were the different buffets they had. One of the dinners they drove all the guests out to the jail house & had hamburgers & hot dogs w all the trimmings & then the staff & kids put on a show for us. It was great !
After breakfast each morning the kids would all gather w their wranglers to be sun screened & then mount their horses for their morning adventure. Both my kids ( who are 9 & 11) came back telling us about "Helen's Rock & One Eyed Willey "
I rode with the progressive beginners on Nina (the Diva , I liked to refer to her as) a smart & sure footed horse who carried me through the mountains. I must add here ....I own my own horse & have been riding my whole life but no amount of arena riding can prepare you for these mountains. They are amazing & you must trust your horse who knows the mountains well to carry you up & down the breathtaking landscape.
The wranglers were also excellent. Paul, Reid, Joel, Coulter, Ryan, Ryan, & J. Ham, were an endless source of coaching, guidance & reassurance. They even took the time to bring a group into an arena to give a lesson on western jogging & loping. ( I being an English dressage rider appreciated the lessons)
In the evening we would sit around a fire outside the lobby & chat with some of the staff & guests. It was such a nice way to end the night. Also on a few occasions I relaxed my sore muscles in 1 of the several hot tubs.
One night a Square Dance was held in the dining room. Staff & guests alike danced together laughing as we tried to keep up as the steps were called out. The staff even managed to get my son to join in. And my daughter announced she will never wash her hand again after Jason took her for a spin across the floor.
Jason, Dutch, Jacob, & Heidi always seemed to be there w a smile helping me & my family w anything we might need.
Before sadly departing for home my husband & I booked our second trip back to the ranch. Somehow it felt as though we were leaving family behind as we drove the 9 mile driveway back towards our life in New York City.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Erika M
Tony W, General Manager at Lost Valley Ranch, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our ranch with this community. We are so thankful for the opportunity to serve your family and create a memorable vacation for your family. Our staff are amazing and our biggest asset. We are glad that you got to know so many of them along with the incredible guests that we get the pleasure of hosting. Your family is also one of those and we look forward to your crossing our cattle guard again in the near future. Thank you for being a part of the Lost Valley Ranch family. We are truly humbled that we get to serve such amazing people.
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

Our family experienced the once in a life time adventure by staying at the Lost Valley Dude Ranch. Our shy oldest was begging us to return, "same time next year, with the same people, in the same cabin". Our middle son that truly is a boy, had the time of his life. Obviously, by the name of his award by the end of the vacation. Our youngest had a wonderful time experiencing a vacation with nature. Our vacations are typically a MLB stadium or a beach. Most have been both. He finally saw what it was like to respect the wild and enjoy true peace that nature provides. I totally enjoyed that we had no t.v. and internet access was only in the ranch lobby. Why would you want anything else? It made our family totally disconnect and appreciate each other. The staff was amazing. Everyone went out of their way to make sure we were always enjoying ourselves. My three sons have severe food allergies and it was our first vacation where we didn't expierence any issues what so ever. They ate nonstop and we knew they were safe because we met the staff personally for our first meal on Sunday night and they offered to cook and or bake anything they would like all week long. I want to bring their baker home to Chicago. Highly recommend this type of vacation for a family that is looking for that break away from teenage craziness that happens. No pressure for true sports, no t.v., no internet access unless you stay in the lodge and NO ONE wants to do that. You want to be outside and enjoying what their beautiful landscaping has to offer.

Room Tip: Seriously look at the map for the location of your cabin choices. We got so lucky with ours being c...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Gapmom
Tony W, General Manager at Lost Valley Ranch, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
We sincerely appreciate your choosing to experience a dude ranch adventure here at Lost Valley Ranch this summer. We do believe that a vacation like this is unlike anything else and we are thankful that it was such a unique experience for your family. We do hope that you are able to return the "same time next year, with the same people, in the same cabin". We consider it a privilege to make that happen for you. Until we see you across our cattle guard again!
Michigan City, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

We came here as a family of four because it was relatively close to a decent airport (Denver) and because of the great reviews on Trip advisor. I now wonder why nobody here has mentioned the fact that the entire forest surrounding the Ranch has been burnt at the big Hayman fire 10 years ago and has not been reforested. Surprisingly most guests did not seem to mind but if you are eager to ride through some beautiful Colorado landscape do not come here. It is very depressing indeed. The Ranch's website does mention the fire but it does not become clear how devastating the landscape is even after 10 years. You see dead and burnt trees everywhere.

Moreover, you should know that this Ranch is run like a 'summer camp'. The bell rings at 8, 12, and 6 for food. You do not have a choice but are being seated every time with other guests or staff members. Obviously the idea is that you meet other folks and this is nice but every time is too much!

The food is fresh and tasty but much too little. They usually give you one plate for lunch (eg sandwich) and a tiny salad as a starter and a main dish (usually a plate with meat and some veggies) for dinner but never ask you whether you want a second serving. We left the table many times still being hungry!! Dessert you only get for dinner not lunch and you would usually get something of the size of a brownie. When I asked for fruits instead they gave me a tiny bowl with five raspberries! Remember this is not a YMCA but a really expensive ranch which competes price wise with a 5 star hotel in NYC! The highlights were their picnics and b'cues - very little variety was provided (think one salad, two veggies, some meast) but at least you could serve yourself as much as you wanted. However, time was limited and you had to hurry up. In many cases they were already starting to take the buffet down when I came back to get a second serving. In none of the hotels I have been around the world did I ever experience this. It seemed they seriously rationalize on their food expenses. Not ok with this price tag!

The cabin accomodations were clean but ok. The main house did not have a large enough lobby where people could hang out. Meaning on a rainy day guests got stuck in the tiny lobby near the reception. There was also a larger room upstairs but in a terrible old and dark decor - not a place to hang out. This should be redecorated.

Note that there is neither TV nor internet in the cabins. There is only internet in the main building - hence you get stuck in the tiny front lobby in case you need to check emails etc. Also be aware that cell phones do not work anywhere.

The kid's program is good - though note that the focus is entirely on riding. I have seen other ranches providing more variation (sleeping in tents, gold digging, lasso training etc.), but if your kid loves riding this is a great place to be.

The staff is extremely nice and attentive. Note that these are mostly college students. I hope this is not done in order to benefit from underpaid temporary staff.

As another trip advisor noted you need to bring your own riding helmet - these are not provided.

One final note - there is no ethnic diversity among staff or guests whatsoever. I have not seen a whiter place in a very long time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank lea317
Tony W, General Manager at Lost Valley Ranch, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
We appreciate your taking the time to share your experience at Lost Valley Ranch this summer. Your honest feedback is sincerely valued. All of your suggestions and comments will be considered as we plan for the future and hope to always improve the service we provide to our guests. We are thankful for the opportunity that we had to have your family across our cattle guard.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

My husband and I were privileged to be guests at Lost Valley while visiting our son who has been on staff there for the last two summers. "Momma and Daddy, you have to come visit so you'll understand when I talk about what a special place Lost Valley Ranch is," he has been asking. It is a special place where all ages are accommodated and served. Many guests had children there who loved participating in the programs specifically designed for their age group. I was a new horseback rider and the wranglers very patiently helped me with my riding, never making me feel stupid. I rode daily, sometimes twice a day, finally getting the hang of 'posting a trot.' We particularly enjoyed getting to know both staff and other guests and sitting around after meals visiting and sharing our stories. Accommodations and food were excellent and for the non-riders there were plenty of opportunities for hiking and wandering walking trails. I'm trying to figure out how I can take the rest of my family for a visit...so worth it!

Room Tip: If you are not up for a climb to your room, ask for a room closer to the lodge.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank M D
Tony W, General Manager at Lost Valley Ranch, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
It is always nice to have family on the ranch. We appreciate your choosing to spend your vacation here at Lost Valley Ranch. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the riding program, activities and our guests and staff. We do hope that you are able to return with the rest of your family in the future. Oooo-aaaah!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sedalia
Woodland Park Country Lodge
Woodland Park Country Lodge
#1 of 1 in Woodland Park
Pikes Peak Paradise Bed and Breakfast
Eagle Fire Lodge & Cabins
Eagle Fire Lodge & Cabins
#4 of 6 in Woodland Park

Been to Lost Valley Ranch? Share your experiences!