“Stayed for a week - Good spot for exploring the San Luis Valley”
Review of San Luis Inn Motel

San Luis Inn Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Luis
San Luis Inn Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in San Luis
Reviewed July 5, 2012

I ended up in San Luis Valley for a week as I was attending a retreat in the area. My initial response after seeing pictures of the hotel online was that of trepidation... As I am from NYC, a place where even the best hotels can be filled with creepy-crawly critters that will remain un-named, I have hesitations about stying in "motels" for fear of bugs and other icky things. But, I decided to let it go; I was going on this retreat and didnt have a choice, plus the reviews helped calm my nerves a bit. When I got to the hotel and checked in I knew I had NOTHING to worry about. The place was immaculate, the owners were kind , friendly and accomodating, and the rooms were simple/not fancy, but perfectly fine for my stay and so SO clean. Upon getting to my room I immediately ripped the sheets back and inspected with my flashlight in fear of finding the worst - and not a speck was found. The owners and management really take pride in their Motel/Hotel and again - it was absolutely spotless.
I asked for a room on the second floor, in hopes of not having any overhead noise as I had read that the walls were thin and you could hear people. This fact is not entirely untrue; during the week a few people checked in and out next to me a few times, and I may have heard some people mumbling but it wasnt really intrusive, especially if I had the TV on. The "neighbors" were gone the next day anyway and it seemd like I had the second floor completely to myself. I had a large mini-fridge in the room that I filled with good from the R&R market nearby or the Dollar General store a quick drive down the road... It happened that San Luis was having a heatwave at the time - 100 degrees out - but my room was ICE COLD when I wanted it to be. The beds were comfy and the sheets were broken in and soft.
There was a hot tuib on premises, which I didnt use, but the owner cleaned it the night after I arrived and it was twinking clean - Other people from the retreat took advantage and enjoyed it and they felt it couldnt have been cleaner.
I unfortunately dont have pictures but they are accurate to some of the pictures you can find online on the web if you type in the Motels name. Only difference is that my room was nice and bright when I had the curtains open and I dont think that is reflected in the pictures. You probably have better light as well on the second floor. There isnt a great view out the window, but boy oh boy do you have them the minute you step outside. Owner or someone was on premises any time I needed anything.
Coffee and cookies in the morning were available, and since there isnt a lounge to hang out in, the group I was with made ourselves comfortable to hang out in the lobby area in the evening where theres a few chairs and a couch. The owner came by and told us to have a good time and to make ourselves comfortable.
So, the bottom line is that you should give this little spot a try without hesitation. As long as you are fine with simple/comfortable furnishings and down home hospitality, you will be content here. The location is GREAT as a jumping point to see SO much in the San Luis Valley (ancient petroglyphs, sacred indian sites, gorgeous mountains and terrain, wild horses, Moth Mary's non-denominational Garden and so much more....and you can get to Taos, New Mexico from this hotel in an hour. - A great detour of you have the time.

Room Tip: 2nd floor may be less crowded that the 1st floor, more daylight too and no overhead noise.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank LoveDemIslands

Reviewed April 22, 2012

The San Luis Inn is far from a luxury resort but met every need me had for our short time in San Luis. The owners live in a little house right next door and when we showed up after hours, he came over and checked us in quickly and efficiently. The property has very few frills but the rooms are spacious with DirectTV and a comfy bed. Unfortunately while we were there, the hot tub was out of commission but that happens sometimes. In the morning, we left pretty early with no sign of the owners. I could see how this could be a problem if you needed something in the middle of the night or in the morning. A huge positive for the hotel is the low price, clean rooms, and their devotion to the US military. Each room had a plaque commemorating the stay of a serviceman as well as several pictures and magazines in the hallway.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank mjf365
Reviewed September 1, 2011

The hotel is owned and operated by people who obviously take a lot of pride in their property.
We found all the ammenities we needed for a two day stay or longer if needed.
The beds were comfortable and the room spacious. The handicap room was good except it had a regular bath with handles, not just a no-step shower.
The room was in great shape and very clean.
Check-in is very casual.
We called the owner near 8pm one Friday evening asking about times for local restaurants. He took the time to call and ask every restaurant in San Luis their hours then called us back with the information. That is old time service at it's best.
This is a very nice motel in a beautiful but often overlooked part of Colorado.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Phil225
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We stayed over night in this inn. The room is relatively big and very clean..I could still smell the detergent on the bed sheets. The air condition worked perfectly and the cable programs were enough (at least for us).
The only problem is..the wall is thin, you could hear the guests in the other room. BTW, if you need to check out early in the morning and you don't see anyone at the front desk..don't bother to call, just drop the key in the little basket at the counter.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank BoriquaPuertoRico
Reviewed April 24, 2010

Clean, clean motel for a mere $59. (Cheap hotels make me nervous but this was okay.) Great location for visiting the Stations of the Cross. The only thing is it was so loud! The walls were paper thin and even with other good guests it was loud. I would stay again but would take ear plugs.

The toilet and shower area was tiny. The sink is in the room, which I know some don't like but I do. Take your own hair dryer and shampoo. New tv and sattelite reception. Comman area microwave on the ground floor. There is a hot tub but we didn't use it.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ColoradoLiketoTravel
Reviewed August 19, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed here the night before climbing Culebra Peak - which isn't too far away. We chose this option instead of camping on the Cielo Vista Ranch property (where Culebra is located). I'm glad we decided to stay in a hotel instead of camp because the provided camping area at the ranch isn't what we typically like for camping. (we like to camp in higher elevation, secluded areas - and here we would have had to be with other hikers). The rooms at the inn are clean and basic. We liked that they provided coffee at 5am and also dish network tv in our room.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Megan F
Reviewed June 19, 2008

The owner and his wife plus the staff go above and beyond to make your stay a comfortable one. Very clean rooms that are simple, but perfect for a place to relax and get a good nights sleep. Reasonably priced, nice and friendly town for eats and a quiet nights stay. We stayed for 7 days and we will return again this year. A beautiful and wonderful area to stay in Colorado:)

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank 2K3JMoore

Been to San Luis Inn Motel? Share your experiences!