“A Poor Value”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Ventura, California
“A Poor Value”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

At $100 a night, you don't get much in towns like Salida. Here's what I got at the Comfort Inn:

My room was straight-up motel. Old tube TV, no fridge or micro and it faced the noisy highway. Some of the other reviews mention LCD TVs and a view of a horse corral, so perhaps I was just given one of the least desirable rooms.

The heat lamp in the bathroom was controlled by screwing / unscrewing the bulb. The mattress was the kind where your bedmate's every move means a bounce-house ride for you.

At 8:00 Sunday morning, I was awakened by a loud conversation outside my room. After ten minutes, I finally got up to find two housekeepers sitting on the floor outside my room taking an extended break and talking on their cell phones. They apologized, but it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

The complimentary breakfast is what we've all come to expect.

I've stayed in worse properties, to be sure, and judging from the many positive reviews here my guess is that I was given a substandard room. If you do stay here, I'd recommend insisting on an updated room that doesn't face the highway.

Room Tip: Insist on an updated room (flat-screen TV) that doesn't face the highway.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Richard C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2012

We only stayed one night here, but it had everything we needed for a comfortable stop. The front desk clerk was very friendly, the room was comfortable and quiet, and the free breakfast in the morning was pretty decent. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back side of the hotel. Ours was very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Cathy K
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

This place is clean, has extremely attentive staff, a HOT hot tub, fun pool, decent breakfast, good view of the mountains, and is close to Monarch.

Great place to stay, a little of the main part of downtown, but still close to restaurants and attractions. Neat part of the state.

Room Tip: The western rooms face beautiful mountain range
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank CJ F
Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2012

From the moment we arrived the friendly staff at the Comfort Inn went out of their way to make sure everything was perfect for us. We are early risers (4am - 5am) and the staff always offered to open the jacuzzi early or prepare some warm, cooked food for us long before official breakfast hours. Our room was very clean, quiet and comfortable. It was a real pleasure to stay here, and next time I'm in Salida I will definitely book a room with Comfort Inn again.

Room Tip: I don't have any actual room tips, but if you aren't happy with a room for any reason talk t...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Laura P
Monument, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2011

The room was clean, easy in, easy out. Good handicapped accessible room. The staff was more than helpful when I had booked the room on Hotel-rates.com and then found out I could have the room at an almost $60 break in price for 2 nights. I wasn't too pleased with Hotel-rates.com and let them know why. These bookers are supposed to get you a better rate than what you can I thought. Anyway Comfort also had a continental breakfast that had lots of things from eggs, sausage, cereals, fruit and more with the morning news on the flat panel. The room coffee was drek but what motel room's isn't? Hint, hint. One of the better motels I've stayed. Next time I'll go directly to the Comfort website.

Room Tip: Go directly to the website if you're pre-booking.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank travler33560
Cortez, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2011

The staff at check in were friendly and very helpful. I reported a problem when I checked out and from the attitude of the desk clerk I am sure it was resolved quickly to avoid the next guest to have to deal with. Overall cleanliness was good. the room was large and comfortable. Definitely will stay there again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Jellibean713
Greeley, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

We were VERY impressed with the level of cleanliness, friendly staff and good breakfast!
We were allowed to check in a couple of hours early without notice. They were very accomodating. Cookies in the lobby, yummy!
One of the cleanest rooms I've stayed at! Will stay there again, if we ever get back to Salida!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family