“Fly-fishing home base”
Review of Circle R Motel

Circle R Motel
Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Salida
Reviewed September 29, 2012

It’s not the fanciest, but the Circle R was a very comfortable laid-back and down-home base for four days of fly fishing. My uncle flew in from Tulsa, I came in from NYC, we met my dad and brother in Denver and then headed for Salida intending to fish the Arkansas River but with no idea where we’d stay once we got there. We cruised the main drag and gut instinct led us to the Circle R. Good choice. Pam and Lee were very friendly, and once Lee found out what we were up to he made sure we didn’t miss any of the local hot spots, drawing several detailed maps for us. As a result, we had our side and stretch of the river mostly to ourselves. Caught a mess of fish, including a couple of 16” browns. Won’t forget that anytime soon! Oh, I should probably also mention that the beds and pillows at the Circle R were incredibly comfortable. We’ll be back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Feeling road weary I headed to circle r for some much needed sleep. The bed was great. The owners were very cool. Pam directed me to some cool hiking trails. Sitting outside my room I had a great view of the mountain silhouette in the evening sky. Best value, cool setting, nice owners. Don't be fooled by the days inn sign across the street, you want to stay here when your in salida.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Cute 1950s-style motel, with parking right outside your door. The owner, Pam, was friendly and helpful at check-in. They have free coffee in the office in the morning. Our room was medium-sized and clean, but the bathroom could use some updating and TLC. TV was not flat screen, but was attached to a satellite system, so channel selection was good. They'd had a problem with the hot tub, which was closed. There was a communicating door with the room next door, but we only heard the neighbors in the morning as they left. I'd stay there again if in Salida.

Room Tip: Ask for a room toward the back to minimize road noise.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 16, 2012

In a nutshell, a 50's vintage motel without all the unnecessary frills. Nice and clean, great bed, (better than my own), cold air conditioning (got too cold and had to turn it down some), PLENTY of hot water and PLENTY of pressure. Sorry, no valet parking, gold plated soap dishes, fuzzy bathrobes or linen curtains. Daily housekeeping, daily clean towels if you want them. Plenty reasonable price for a good night sleep. I WILL be back!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jon P
Reviewed August 4, 2012

When doing road travel, you get into the usual rut of living out of a suitcase, packing and unpacking toiletries, cosmetics, clothing, etc. and then resting on same old, same old. Circle R is the true respite from the boring. Run by husband and wife team,Pam and Lee, it has been my favorite Salida choice for a long time. Love the hot tub after a day hiking the mountains. Love the personal touches to the rooms, murals, comfortable furnishings. A good place to stay when you want to wind down for a few days.

Room Tip: Ask for the two beds whenever possible.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 30, 2012

The Circle R Motel in Salida is an excellent place to stay while enjoying Southeast Colorado. I spent a week there while prospecting and the owners made every effort to help make my stay enjoyable. The rooms were clean every day and time spent talking with the owners on their patio gave my vacation a personal touch you would not get from a national chain. They recommended local places to eat and sights to see . I also noticed that many of their clients were return guests who were willing to share their travels with you. My stay at the Circle R motel was everything the owners promised and more. I will be going back .

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Wow! Was I in the same place as the folks who wrote all these glowing reviews? It doesn't seem so, as our room smelled like unwashed linens and the sheets were rather gray. I like Mom and Pop, non-chain places, too, but this was a stretch. It needs some serious updating....and the A/C was in the bathroom! We found no charm here.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends