“My worst birthday cake ever!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Sweetie's Sandwich Shop
Ranked #3 of 62 Restaurants in Salida
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Soups
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Denver, Colorado
“My worst birthday cake ever!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

My husband took me to Salida for a few days in May as a birthday getaway. He looked up bakeries for Salida from Denver and ordered a cake for me so we could pick it up when we got there. I heard him order it, requesting a chocolate cake with mainly purple flowers and green trim and whatever else the bakery thought would look good on the cake. Well, when we got there on the date, May 1st, my husband thought he and the bakery had agreed on picking up the cake, the baker came out and told us that we were too early and wrong on the agreed date and that the cake wouldn't ready until the day after tomorrow. Well, no big deal, my husband just went back a couple of days later when she said the cake would be ready. When he brought it back to where we were staying, he immediately apologized about the cake's decorations and said it didn't look as pretty as he had hoped. I opened the box and it was the plainest birthday cake I've ever seen. There was just one line of green trim around the upper edge and that was it; no purple, no flowers, nothing else at all. I couldn't help but be a little disappointed, but we laughed and hoped when we ate it, it would make up in taste what it lacked in decorations. Anyway, we were totally destined for utter disappointment on this $20 plus little (about 8 to 10 inch diameter) cake. I love birthday cake and as this was my 50th, I've had a few of them by now. This particular cake was literally the worst cake I've ever had. It tasted like a brown chalky fake dry wax cake. I don't even have a clue how she could have made a cake with such a horrible texture and weird tasting chocolate flavor. She, the baker, would have made me a whole bunch happier if she had just told us that she didn't do birthday cakes, just pastries and breads. Really, it was awful. We would have taken it back but we heading back to Denver the next morning. My husband said just to throw it away, but my mom wanted us to bring it home so that she could try it. Well that was a joke because after one bite, she tossed it in the garbage. Then we had to listen to her go on about how awful it was when we'd already been there and done that. WARNING: DO NOT ORDER A CHOCOLATE BIRTHDAY CAKE FROM THIS PLACE!!!

• Visited May 2013
6 Thank DenverLiz

Milford, New Jersey
“Pretty good bagels (outside of the NY area) and breakfast sandwich”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

Whether it's the current owners, or previous, I've always found this to be a very nice place to get something to eat (please keep in mind that baking anything, especially yeast based breads, at high altitude is not an easy task). The pastries are excellent, and this year we tried a breakfast sandwich, which was HUGE!.

I find the atmosphere quirky and comfy.

• Visited July 2013
Casey, Illinois
“Best humus”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

Every year we have to stop in at Sweetie's to purchase some of their homemade humus it is the best. We will purchase a loaf of bread and go down by the river to enjoy a lunch.

Visited July 2013
San Antonio, TX
“Fresh? Pastry”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

My sister and I stopped in to Sweeties just as they opened on a Wednesday morning. The crew looked as if a) they had not gone to sleep the night before, or b) they he just woken up. I was hoping for the fresh smell of baked goods when we opened the door ...nope. Not even an olfactory greeting of fresh brewed coffee.

We both ordered coffee ...it was ordinary. My sister ordered a muffin of some sort; I ordered a croissant. They both were average. The cinnamon rolls in the glass counter looked amazing so we ordered two to take on the road for a mid-morning snack. At the table over breakfast we sampled one of the cinnamon rolls and it was cold and hard ...definitely NOT fresh. I might have said something to the 'hostess' but she looked like she needed a little more time to wake up.

Sweeties left me with a little bitter taste in my mouth. Sorry.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Joy S
Janesville, Wisconsin, United States
“Extraordinary sandwiches!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

On our family trip drive north out of Great Sand Dunes National Park in Colorado, we stopped at the historic town of Salida based on a tip from a local fella we met at Great Sand Dunes campgrounds. The town of Salida is a gem with small turn of the century homes and a historic downtown shopping district.

My daughter was in need of a restroom so we popped into Sweetie's where I planned to buy a couple cookies to justify use of said bathroom. After we looked at the menu board we decided to stay for lunch. The counter help was authentically charming and helpful.

Our warm sandwiches were generous and perfectly done -- in a word, "delicious." (I had the "Hillbilly.") I was a bit concerned about a baguette sandwich due to a minor case of TMJ, but the bread was toasted to perfection and I was able to bite through it with ease!

Drink selection was appropriate and our kids loved the vintage straws. Though we didn't try dessert they looked like works of art. Try it!

• Visited June 2013