“Fabulous Bakery!!”

Sweetie's Sandwich Shop
Ranked #5 of 59 Restaurants in Salida
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I've been a "regular" at this bakery since they opened this past summer. When this young couple came to town and started up the bakery, I was hopeful, because most places I've lived, it's been hard to find a decent, let alone excellent bakery. After my first visit to Sweetie's, I was thrilled, and feel fortunate that this is available not only to us locals, but to tourists who visit Salida, as well. This bakery is magical, and adds class to our town. I love looking over the baked goods upon entering. Usually tough to make a decision, as everything looks inviting. Sarah, Rob & Brandi are always so friendly to everyone. Kind of an old-fashioned feel to Sweetie's that conjures memories of earlier times when bakeries tended to make yummies that tasted as good as what your grandmother whipped up and you felt so at home. Some of my personal favorites are their fresh herb bread loaf (incredible--I can't keep one around for long, as my husband won't leave it alone--makes perfect sandwiches and toasts up like no other), delectable cinnamon rolls of various kinds, hearty chicken salad sandwiches, the Brooklyn Joanie (a very special breakfast bagel with everything yummy on it) and their apple and fresh fruit pastries are out of this world. The croissants are to-die-for, also. I haven't tried everything yet, as there is so much and always something new and wonderful popping up. This is a high quality bakery that you normally wouldn't find in a small town. Really dresses this place up with some unusual and daring confections that just make one's day. Fun to sit outside at one of the tables in front of "Sweetie's", as there are always friendly and enthusiastic people coming and going. I've heard nothing but raves about this bakery around town, and rightfully so. Absolutely top notch and not to be missed.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Amazing breakfasts, homemade bagels, tasty chile. We're foodies from Santa Fe and we love eating here. It's our go-to place when we have out-of-town visitors. Among the many pluses are the friendly and talented owners, Sarah and Rob, and the wonderful Brandi at the register. Loved the decor....kind of European countryside. And the pastries....absolutely amazing. I was there the other day and saw 2 young boys ask for the Nutella croissants, which had already been sold. The were more than happy with the fresh pear ones they had instead. Sarah is a gifted pastry chef and it shows in the variety of baked goods that are offered. Rob and Brandi whip up bountiful sandwiches. If you're looking for a great place for breakfast and lunch in Salida, please give Sweetie's a try; you'll be glad you did.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

We spent the night in Salida as part of a short tour of southwest/central Colorado. In most of the these small towns, you take what you find for food, and keep your expectations realistic.

Then we happened across Sweetie's and we were thrilled. The pastries we had for breakfast were high quality-You can always tell when a baker is a real pro. We spend a lot of time in Paris and other cities in Europe and the pastries we had and saw here were of the same quality we see in Europe.

We also ordered a Rob's roast beef sandwich to go. We usually split sandwiches for lunch and on this trip, it has even come down to Subway's at one stop. When we stopped later and each of us bit into the Rob's RB, we just looked at each other and smiled it was so yummy. Quality ingredients and a "giadieniera", which is along the lines of a tapinade mix with peppers, olives, carrots and several other ingredients. Very unique and a great idea to make a sandwich special.

A small town like Salida is lucky to have a place with such classy pastries and other items.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

I was in here the other day during my lunch break and had one of the best roast beef sandwiches I've had in town. The bread is fresh and very tasty, which always makes a huge difference. Staff is friendly and ready to serve. Thanks for the great lunch experience guys. You can definitely count on my continued lunch break visits.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

I have given this 2 stars so as not to be automatically reported by the powers that be like I was on YELP. Sweeties deserves 0 stars. Dear Sweetie's: please take this as constructive criticism. Note that I worked at a GREAT version of your establishment in the past, in another small town. Please do not "report" or "delete" this from tripadvisor, as it is a legitimate, knowledgeable review. . and I will come back again to repost my review . If this gets reported by you, Sweeties, I will speak to you personally...this is not Boulder, and we all know each other here. Salida needs a place like this. We WANT a place like this. I have lived here for 20 years and have seen all the mediocre and poor restaurants come and go. This is an inqest for Sweeties to step up the the %#@* plate. I have spent years working in the restuarant industry, including a bakery/sandwich shop. I have eaten at this establishment through the various crappy owners over time. Here is my impression: Atmosphere continues to be horrible: White walls, white ceilings, stained old floors, flourescent lights, a loud industrial hum that drowns out the lightly playing music. Atmosphere means a lot. Old cheap tables and chairs. Yuk. I went there around 1:00 for a quick sandwich to take back to work. There were two single people waiting for food and a couple already eating. There were also a couple of people having food out on the sidewalk table. Menu unimaginative. If you are going to put a sandwich list on the board, it should be something special. This menu had exciting options like "roast beef and swiss". Really? Ordered an $8 sandwich (comes with a pickle, nothing else, ouch!) Sat down and looked at a bakery case that was very barren. The deli case was just a bunch of hunks of the meats and cheeses they use and was definitely not attractive to look at while waiting...and waiting..... Watched the two girls take 20 minutes (not exaggerating) to make a total of three sandwiches. They kept disappearing, reappearing...Unfortunately after one of them sneezed twice into her hand she did NOT disappear to the sink. And I think she may have been one of the owners. Eww. Finally got sandwich. Bread very dense. Basic high sodium lunch meat. Won't be going back. You up to the challenge Sweeties? You think you can get it together or just be another restaurant in the Salida graveyard? Trust me, I WANT you to be a 5 star deli!! We need that here. Okay, so that's my review for you, Sweetie's. Don't delete or report, just get it together. Or else call Kitchen Nightmares.

4  Thank hongkongphooeySalida