“A Real Jewel!”

Ranked #3 of 61 Restaurants in Salida
USA
“A Real Jewel!”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We spent the night in Salida as part of a short tour of southwest/central Colorado. In most of the these small towns, you take what you find for food, and keep your expectations realistic.

Then we happened across Sweetie's and we were thrilled. The pastries we had for breakfast were high quality-You can always tell when a baker is a real pro. We spend a lot of time in Paris and other cities in Europe and the pastries we had and saw here were of the same quality we see in Europe.

We also ordered a Rob's roast beef sandwich to go. We usually split sandwiches for lunch and on this trip, it has even come down to Subway's at one stop. When we stopped later and each of us bit into the Rob's RB, we just looked at each other and smiled it was so yummy. Quality ingredients and a "giadieniera", which is along the lines of a tapinade mix with peppers, olives, carrots and several other ingredients. Very unique and a great idea to make a sandwich special.

A small town like Salida is lucky to have a place with such classy pastries and other items.

• Visited September 2012

Salida, Colorado, United States
“Fantastic Lunch and Service”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I was in here the other day during my lunch break and had one of the best roast beef sandwiches I've had in town. The bread is fresh and very tasty, which always makes a huge difference. Staff is friendly and ready to serve. Thanks for the great lunch experience guys. You can definitely count on my continued lunch break visits.

• Visited September 2012
salida
“Review sure to be "suspiciously" deleted...”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I have given this 2 stars so as not to be automatically reported by the powers that be like I was on YELP. Sweeties deserves 0 stars. Dear Sweetie's: please take this as constructive criticism. Note that I worked at a GREAT version of your establishment in the past, in another small town. Please do not "report" or "delete" this from tripadvisor, as it is a legitimate, knowledgeable review. . and I will come back again to repost my review . If this gets reported by you, Sweeties, I will speak to you personally...this is not Boulder, and we all know each other here. Salida needs a place like this. We WANT a place like this. I have lived here for 20 years and have seen all the mediocre and poor restaurants come and go. This is an inqest for Sweeties to step up the the %#@* plate. I have spent years working in the restuarant industry, including a bakery/sandwich shop. I have eaten at this establishment through the various crappy owners over time. Here is my impression: Atmosphere continues to be horrible: White walls, white ceilings, stained old floors, flourescent lights, a loud industrial hum that drowns out the lightly playing music. Atmosphere means a lot. Old cheap tables and chairs. Yuk. I went there around 1:00 for a quick sandwich to take back to work. There were two single people waiting for food and a couple already eating. There were also a couple of people having food out on the sidewalk table. Menu unimaginative. If you are going to put a sandwich list on the board, it should be something special. This menu had exciting options like "roast beef and swiss". Really? Ordered an $8 sandwich (comes with a pickle, nothing else, ouch!) Sat down and looked at a bakery case that was very barren. The deli case was just a bunch of hunks of the meats and cheeses they use and was definitely not attractive to look at while waiting...and waiting..... Watched the two girls take 20 minutes (not exaggerating) to make a total of three sandwiches. They kept disappearing, reappearing...Unfortunately after one of them sneezed twice into her hand she did NOT disappear to the sink. And I think she may have been one of the owners. Eww. Finally got sandwich. Bread very dense. Basic high sodium lunch meat. Won't be going back. You up to the challenge Sweeties? You think you can get it together or just be another restaurant in the Salida graveyard? Trust me, I WANT you to be a 5 star deli!! We need that here. Okay, so that's my review for you, Sweetie's. Don't delete or report, just get it together. Or else call Kitchen Nightmares.

• Visited July 2012