“Come for the wine, stay for the shopping!”

Mountain Spirit Winery
Ranked #21 of 56 things to do in Salida
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a family-owned and operated boutique winery nestled in the high country of Colorado's Upper Arkansas Valley. Five acres of farmland, replete with apple orchards and an old homestead house, surrounded by 14,000-foot mountain vistas establish the ambience for creating Mountain Spirit premium wines, many of which are available nowhere else in the world.Garnering more than 50 national and international awards for their wines, winemaker Andrew Ritchie and owners, Terry and Michael Barkett bring educational backgrounds of clinical medicine, laboratory technology and computer science to the winemaker's art. We continue to push the limits of exploring new blends, while maintaining the traditional historic high standards inherent to the gentle art of winemaking.
Reviewed January 16, 2016

Want to know more about blended wines? Love to hear the stories about certain wine and grapes, what food they should be paired with, and still feel like you can have your own opinion? Enjoy trying at least 8 different kinds of wine? Want to look around a cute gallery that features local artists and jewelry makers? Enjoying buying wine for yourself and wine for a friend? Well, this is the place for you--so make sure to add it to your list of fun places to go to in Salida. And the staff was fantastic--she knew a lot and enjoyed sharing her take on each wine!

1  Thank seholm

Reviewed November 24, 2015

We had a great time and interesting wines. We bought a couple of bottles to take home with us. I forget the man's name that helped us, but he had actually lived in our hometown (Hattiesburg, MS) at one point. He was a great host!

Reviewed October 2, 2015

My husband and I were driving around one day and happened upon this winery. It is small, but has been in business for several years. We liked it so much that we brought our friends the next day. The gentleman there gave us tastes of all the wines. We purchased the Apple Ice wine and the Merlot/Raspberry wine. Our friends also really liked the wines.

Reviewed September 11, 2015

We have stopped at the Twisted Cork in Salida (their other store) and have purchased their wine before and loved it, so on this trip, we decided to stop at the winery since we were coming from the other direction on Hwy 50. I'm not sure there was anything to tour, and a tour was not offered to us, but that's okay because I have had their wine before and really just wanted to purchase. He was very helpful and I tasted a couple I had not tasted before. All in all, I really love their wines no matter which of their locations from which I purchase. They are original (to me anyway) and delicious. When in that part of the state, I am always sure to stop and purchase. I am by no means a wine expert, but I truly love their wine. I highly recommend their wines and have frequently used the wines as gifts.