“Clean and completely adequate for a family vacation”

Hampton Inn & Suites Salida
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Salida
Reviewed September 7, 2011

I am a hotel snob but one does not visit Salida to stay in a 5 star hotel so this new Hampton Inn seemed to fit the bill for our needs. It was clean (though it was certainly not sparkling clean for something that just opened in February...the bathroom was starting to show it's age in my opinion) and convenient which was all that really mattered to me. My biggest complaint is that the room is dark dark dark. I know I'm supposed to embrace green lighting but these lightbulbs barely lit up the room and I felt like it was constantly dusk. As it was for most of our trip to Colorado, we didn't spend much time in the room so it was fine and the breakfast is enough to get you going in the morning. I would likely stay here again because I didn't see anything else that seemed like it was worth staying at - at least for a family vacation. We had a lovely view of the Ford dealership next door (which made us chuckle) and were on the second floor. For $89 a night, I really can't complain.

Be warned that when you pull up to the front of the hotel facing the road, this is not the front of the hotel! This actually puts you on the second floor so we were a bit confused when we walked in and couldn't find the front desk. Pull around to the back for the actual entrance and lobby for convenience when you arrive.

Room Tip: It would be worth asking for a room on the backside of the hotel for more of a mountain view
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed September 6, 2011

This hotel is totally renovated - new like! Large and comfy beds and good size rooms. Make sure to pull around back to park though as that is where check in is located, not the side of the bldg that faces the main highway where you enter. The place is clean, great pool, which is open late ....11:00 pm which is great for the kids. Great exercise room too. The historic town of Salida is just about a mile away, but you will have to drive to get there from the hotel. OVerall - very happy with our stay.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 28, 2011

We have come to expect high quality from hampton inn, but this has surpassed them all! brand new facilities. beautiful marble floors in the lobby. new clean guest rooms. very nice fitness center for this class hotel. nice pool. friendly helpful staff, very knowledgable of the area. overall beautiful and VERY clean place to stay! would definitely recommend!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this place last weekend and it was a great place for the price. We wanted to get out of town for the weekend and did not even realize that Salida was having an Art Festival. The hotel is not in the old section downtown but a very short drive. The staff were very friendly and the rooms were clean. They first gave us a room that was handicap access and when I requested a change they were happy to accommodate. Get up early for the free breakfast because if the hotel is full it is crowded. We ended up just going out for breakfast the second day.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 3, 2011

I'm a loyal Hilton Honors member and use my points for vacation. This was one such stay. I assumed as new as this facility is that everything would be fine. Au contraire com padre. You would think by now that Hilton would know how to build a hotel that was quiet. For example, guest doors automatically slam shut. Also, heaven forbid if you stay in a room with an adjoining door. Any conversation, no matter how low, could be heard from one room to the next. Why can't these things be resolved before construction?

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank OpieMidwest
Reviewed July 27, 2011

The author of the review entitled "not quite up to speed" nailed it. This Hampton Inn is lacking from a managerial and quality standpoint. I too had no wifi in my room (on my first stay) and had to sit in the lobby to use my iPad. The person at the front desk told me that some rooms had wifi and I asked to be put in one of those rooms during my subsequent stay (2 nights later). That same employee encouraged me to write this review and complain to Hilton (the parent company) because he was so sick of hearing people complain about the wifi and hoped that the negative reviews would get management to address the issue.

On my second stay, I was put in a room with wifi, but the room was directly across from the ice machine and I had requested not to be near vending/ice. As a Hilton HHonors Gold member, these requests are always met--not this time. When I asked to change rooms, no can do b/c the hotel was booked solid. So, I got to hear people going for ice all night long. To make matters worse, the walls in this particular room were EXTREMELY thin. We could hear every word spoken by the family of four next to our room, and I do not think they were talking particularly loudly.

I requested a refund for this 2nd stay, as I was kept up all night between the ice machine and family in the room next to us. Management would not give me a refund (saying they were not able to from their end, which is a lie), and referred me to Hilton HHonors. So I called Hilton HHonors to complain and they said, per their policy, that the hotel had to contact me and agree to issue the refund. They said the hotel would call me within 3 days. I waited 2 weeks. They never called (when I called Hilton HHonors back, they gave me the credit, apologized for the hotel, and gave me bonus HHonors reward points for my inconvenience).

In sum, if wifi, thick walls, and good customer service are important to you, find somewhere else to stay. Otherwise, this is your typical Hampton Inn.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank snipesmorris
Reviewed July 16, 2011

This is a new Hampton Inn, built in February 2011. Lobby area and rooms are clean and bright. My beef with the management. I have stayed in many Hamptin Inns over the years. I like them because they tend to be very consistent and you know what to expect. My husband and I arrived at this Hampton Inn to find no one at reception. We waited at least 10 minutes (maybe more) before the manger materialized. this was at 3:00pm. We checked in and as mynusual request I was given a room on the top floor, which was the 4th floor. The view was beautiful, mountains. my husband settled in while I explored downtown Salida ( an historic small western style town loaded with artists and artisans, nice shops and places to eat, also where the white water rafting trips begin). At 6:00pm, a machine noise, a loud humming began. After about 10 minutes of wondering what that was, we called thenfront desk and were informed it was the air conditioning unit on the roof that turns on from 6:00-8:00pm and again at 6:00 am. We were horrified. we insisted to be moved to a lower floor. We were informed that the hotelmwas completely booked, but the manager to his credit did manage to move us tom the second floor. unfortunately we lost the beautiful mountain view and instead are windows faced a dirt parking lot.

In every Hampton Inn I have stayed in, there is always wireless Internet in the room. This facilty has high speed Internet connection for laptops in the room but not wireless in the rooms. I am writing this review from the lobby area with my iPad. I would prefer to be in the comfort of my room.

Breakfast was another disappointment. We arrived at 8:30am to find little left to eat. The coffee was like water, even the 'robust' brew. my husband, whomalways goes strait for the eggs and sausage, took one look at the offering and made a waffle instead.
I was happy there was laundry room. A plus. The is a pool, and kids were enjoying themselves when I poked in. There is also a nice fitness room form those who look for this.

Room Tip: Stay away from the 4th floor. Ask for a room that faces the mountains.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ElizRes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salida
1 mi away
Browns Canyon Inn
Browns Canyon Inn
#8 of 16 in Salida
Baymont Inn & Suites Salida

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Salida? Share your experiences!