“Quite the gem!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Centennial
“Quite the gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2014

My husband and I wanted to take a little weekend getaway, but didn't want the usual chain style hotel. We found this little charming place and it was just perfect for what we wanted. When you fill out the reservations online, they ask you to list the cottage and room choices you would like. I picked two cottages and one room thinking we would get one of them. To my dismay, we didn't get any of them. I was a little upset at first because the room we ended up with, although very nice, didn't quite have the "boutique" feel I was looking for. Once the (very kind and patient) owner explained to us that our reservation was a little last minute and that was all he had, we decided to stay. I am so glad we did! The beds were so comfortable, the bathroom roomy and even though our room didn't have a kitchenette (microwave and fridge though), there were actual dishes, flatware, glasses and coffee mugs. We even had a full size coffee pot, filters and coffee! The place was full our first night there, but we didn't hear any of the other guests. It was charming, peaceful and quaint. Oh, and pet friendly as well which was quite the bonus!

If you are looking for room service, high prices and snotty staff, this is NOT the place for you. If you are looking for a family owned, unique and comfortable place with hosts that will make you feel like family, then by all means, book a room or a cottage.

We loved our short stay here and are planning on making this a weekend getaway destination for the future.

Room Tip: If you want a cottage, book early!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

We stumbled across this wonderful little motel the night before we left on our trip! We were planning on driving straight from Fort Collins to Mesa Verde, but decided to get a head start the night before and drive to Salida. I found Mountain Motel due to TripAdvisor. I called a few different hotels to get rates and MM also had a special rate on TripAdvisor for $65 for a room. I thought that was a great rate. We were really just looking for a decent place to lay our heads down for a few hours, as we were going to get up early and leave the next morning to head the rest of the way to Mesa Verde. What we found was much more than that! Ira runs the place and he's the one who took my reservation.

I kept in touch with him the night we were arriving, as we hit some really bad weather and it took a lot longer than expected. He said it was no problem and he waited up late for us. We were so exhausted and thankful for the room once we finally arrived.

We stayed in #5. It was a very good sized room with two beds, a chair, a table/chairs, microwave and fridge. The beds were VERY comfortable with the MOST comfortable sheets on them! All three of us agreed that they were heaven the next morning, as they made my husband sleep in late, when he is normally up at the crack of dawn!

I would not call Mountain Motel: a chain, boring, plain, or standard.

I would call them: funky, unique, hospitable, comfy, and just all around outstanding!

Ira was already up and waiting for us to check out, since I'd told him we'd be up early, but really didn't end up being up so early, because the beds were too comfy! He let my daughter grab a bit handful of candy from the jar in the check in/out area.

We would definitely go back! It would be a great home base area for exploring and doing lots of fun things! Go check them out!

Room Tip: The rooms have a little back patio that would be nice to hang out on when the weather is nice!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

I've stayed at Mountain Motel during a couple business trips to Salida within the last 6 months. Both times it's been a breeze working with Ira – he's super helpful and accessible if I needed anything. If you're looking for a convenient, clean and accessible place to stay in Salida, you'll be very happy with your choice of staying at Mountain Motel. Plus, if you're a dog person, you'll love meeting Ira's dog Belle – she's a sweetie.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Silverton, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2014

I needed a hotel room for 1 night that allowed pets. I was in town for a knee surgery appointment. Ira was very helpful with all of my questions. The room was super clean, comfy, and close to all of my needs for the next day. My friend forgot her personal keys in the room while checking out. Ira called the hospital and got a note to my nurses. Our drive home was 6 hours, would have been a real bummer if we did not have those keys when we got home! I will stay here again when in the area! Ira & Belle are great!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

My partner & I stayed here for 2 nights on our way to Durango. The motel is close to Highway 50, a little noisy. We rang the bell & waited a little while for the owner to arrive. We were shown to Chalet 3 which was a little dark due to the stained timber walls & ceiling, small kitchen area, tiny bathroom. Laundry facilities which was nice. On closure inspection the floor in the chalet wasn't that clean behind the bed or under the chest of drawers, curtains need a wash & updating. Not good for walking into town as no or few sidewalks. Good places to eat close by as well as mini golf.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Lakewood, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

I am always leery about staying in a hotel that is privately owned. I tend to not trust it will be comfortable and nice. But my husband and I were pleasantly surprised by the rooms. They were well decorated...the bed was so comfortable. The linens and bedding were of high quality and I couldn't be more happy with our choice. I would recommend and encourage anyone to stay at this hotel when they travel through Salida.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Laura H
Omaha
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

This is definitely the backdrop for the perfect Colorado memory! We stayed 3 nights and after days of sightseeing, shopping and eating - it was a great home to which to return. CLEAN, CUTE, and COMFORTABLE. What more could one ask for - oh, yes - it was also a great deal money-wise. And, of course, Ira and Belle were the hosts with the mosts! Thanks for adding to the beauty of the surroundings.

Room Tip: We stayed in Cabin 3, which is perfect for a couple. It features a sitting area, a kitchenette, and...
Green Features: The easy access to the recycling bins made it easy to remember to recycle.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple