“Best Ever Horse Back Riding Experience”

Granite Mountain Outfitters
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Trail Rides or Horseback Rides 1 hour Horseback Rides, 2.5 hour Horseback Riding, 1/2 day Trail Rides,/. "A Ride of a Lifetime" Granite Mountain Outfitters horses are gentle and are suited for beginner to experienced riders. We look forward to giving you a ride of a lifetime, experienced guides, responsive horses and fabulous country! Native mountain horses are sure-footed and allow for a western experience of scenic mountain views, wildflowers and wildlife. Horseback rides or trail rides are guided and specialize in scenic rides with personalized attention. From novice to expert we will match the horse, the rider, and the group to each rider's ability. An ideal group size is no more than 4-6 horses; however, larger groups are catered to on an individual basis. Riding helmets are available for children and adults at no charge and are ASTM-SEI approved. The rides leave at 8700ft riding to 10,000ft viewing the Sangre de Cristo's, San Lewis valley, historic Mt Ouray & the Collegiate Peaks. A short driving distance from the Buena Vista and Salida area. We ride with pride and have a ton of fun!
Reviewed July 21, 2013

This was a fun experience from start to end. When my family and I arrived, there were no other guest at the stables. We were met by Sue and her team. Another group came by a few minutes later as we were getting our safety lesson from Sue. Instead of combing my group of 4 with the group that arrived later, Sue decided to keep us separate...not a bad decision. Ann was our guide...she was awesome. Half-way through the trip, it started to rain and then hail. The horses all seemed to know to get to cover....too cool...so we headed off to the nearest trees and waited it out. We all got wet and cold...but no problems there...Ann apologized profusely but we knew she couldn't control the weather. The views were spectacular. We learned so much about the Colorado mountains and the plains that we rode. When we got back to the stables, Sue and her team greeted us back. My family and I are still talking about the experience. When we return to Salida, we will certainly place this activity in our trip again.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

This year is the second year my wife and I have taken our granddaughter horseback riding at the Granite Mountain Outfitters. Our granddaughter was lucky enough to get Wadi for the second year...she loves this horse. We will be back next year.....thanks for everything Sue.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

My daughter booked a 2 hour ride for us. I had ridden a lot when I was young and had expressed a desire to try it again to see if I could still ride without my back giving me fits. Sue picked a mount for me that had a very easy gait and outfitted her with a padded saddle, suitable for one celebrating her 77th birthday.
The ride went through some marvelous meadows and stands of birch trees up to the top of a ridge with great views of the San Louis Valley and the surrounding mountains.
Very good ride, I may just go back in the fall. Highly recommended!

Reviewed July 1, 2013

This was the 2nd time I've been horseback riding(after I said I would never go again due to a bad previous experience with another company), and I am SO grateful I went. Our tour guide was extremely kind and knowledgable about the area with a wonderful sense of humor! My horse was as slow as a turtle and it was wonderful because I wouldn't want it any other way. The gals were wonderful at pairing you up with the horse that was perfect for your needs. The other members of the group loved their (slightly faster than turtle speed) horses too! I can't wait to go again! The trail was great and the sight was breath taking! WOULD HIGHLY RECCOMEND this attraction over many in the area!

1  Thank RockyMtnLodge
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We did a Sunset ride with our older children. This was our 28 year old daughters first horseback ride and after her initial trepidation she really gained her confidence. The scenery and views were outstanding and you really felt like you were in a different world. The horses were well trained and Randy and Evelyn were great guides. They shared a lot of interesting information about the vegetation and topography. .