“THE PLACE you should stay in SALIDA, perfect for bikers, skiers, and me!”
Review of Simple Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Salida
Simple Lodge
Austin, Texas
“THE PLACE you should stay in SALIDA, perfect for bikers, skiers, and me!”
Reviewed May 18, 2011

I have spent many years coming to Salida for outdoor sports and before Simple Lodge, the choice of a European feeling hostel was nonexistent. Then, Julia, Jon & Co., built this fantastic place that makes me feel very welcome whenever I drop by to rejuvenate my soul in the mountains surrounding Salida. You will first notice that the location is fantastic, just feet from the river, a few blocks from the mountain biking shops and shuttle, and a few minutes drive to anywhere you'd want to ski. Next is how well the place is designed by utilizing lots of solid wood that gives it an authentic log cabin feel while blending a distinctly modern decor, wifi, fantastically hot showers, and a very large kitchen. The beds are comfortable and you should get some fantastic sleep as the walls are quite solid and keep noise to a minimum. Above all else, I have to say that this place stands out for the service and people that work and stay here. You are treated like family and even welcome to join in on dinners. Here the conversations are fantastic, the climbing expertise incredible, and the fellow travelers seem to all be on a grand journey, making you realize how special this place is for connecting with fellow world travelers and locals alike. Having lived in many countries and traveled over five continents, I can safely say that Simple Lodge & Hostel is a place worth adding to your itinerary, and the fact that its so reasonably priced makes it all the more better. As such, when I'm in Salida, you'll find me here.

Room Tip: Call in advance. I like the room with 3 bunk beds.
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed May 16, 2011

The simple lodge hostel is cute, quirky, comfortable and clean. the bright green building is full of life and simple hospitality (like the free pancake mix). Our room had a view out to the street and was immaculately clean. The owners/hosts were very attentive to our needs and interests and pointed out the best pizza place in town, the closest mountain bike trails, and one of the most breathtaking hot springs I have ever visited. Having our lodging work out so well made the rest of our trip truly feel like a vacation. I have nothing bad to say about this place and I can't recomend it highly enough. I can't wait to make another trip out there and will make sure I have a room booked at the simple lodge before I go. I just with there were simple lodges in other states to check out.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, B.C.
Reviewed May 11, 2011

I had never stayed in a hostel before and I had pre-conceived notions about what it was going to be like (i envisioned a dirty college dorm), but my friend and I are students and were going to Salida to visit friends and this was a cheap place to stay. I was completely taken aback by how lovely this hostel was. It wasn't just clean, it was truly beautiful. we went in the off-season so it was quiet when we were there and we had a chance to hang out with the owners and a couple of their friends. it was actually the highlight of our trip. Salida is absolutely beautiful (and i'm from British Columbia so i'm hard to impress)- we rode bikes around town, went to watch kayakers doing tricks in the river, went for pizza, went for drinks. it was a seriously great trip and i would definitely go back.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed May 11, 2011

From the moment I arrived at the Simple Lodge, I was treated with the highest levels of service, warmth and hospitality. Never before had I stayed at a hotel or hostel where the staff placed so much emphasis on creating a lifetime of happy memories. The pride they have in their property is displayed in every nook and cranny of their humble abode. Extravagant, the Simple Lodge is not. Extraordinary, the Simple Lodge will forever be.
For the random vacationer like myself, the town of Salida initially seemed small. I questioned how we were possibly going to fill up 4 days and 3 nights. How I was wrong! The owners took it upon themselves to fill our schedules with outdoor adventure and fun. By dawn, we were so tired from the day's activities that we simply wanted to cozy up with a good book and crash on the couch. Then, we'd wake up the next morning and do it all over again! If you plan on visiting Salida, a stay at the Simple lodge is a must!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed May 11, 2011

From the moment I arrived at the Simple Lodge and Hostel, I felt welcome and at home. There was no uncomfortable uncertainty of whether or not I had decided to stay at the right place. The hosts were beyond accommodating and friendly. They helped plan my activities and talked about the local restaurants and bars. The location is excellent - everything I wanted to do within Salida was a short walk or bike ride away. The Arkansas River is very close to the hostel - walking to the riverside and drinking your morning cup of coffee sitting on a river rock is something everyone should do!
I stayed in one of the community rooms on the bunk beds and I was very comfortable. The bunks were well-made and sturdy. The bathroom was great - it was clean, I didn't have to wait in line and I had plenty of hot water. I was impressed with the level of detail that went into every aspect of this hostel. The rustic decor and re-purposing of materials ties the building to its historic roots. It's just fantastic.
I would stay here again in an instant, and recommend this lovely place to all my friends going to Colorado.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 11, 2011

The service at the Simple Lodge was second to none.
The room was shared and provided a clean and comfortable place to sleep, which was all that was needed. It was perfectly located in a cute little town for those who seek an a quiet vacation. It was also close to the mountains for hikers, the river for rafters and was a cyclists paradise.
Next time I visit I might take a single room for just a little more privacy and comfort.
In a word the Simple Lodge and its staff were 'fantastic!'

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Gunnison, Colorado
Reviewed February 13, 2011

Right downtown, and easy to find. If you are a light sleeper and plan on sleeping in, bring some earplugs. The house is from the turn of the century so the floors make a little noise. Awesome place and super nice hosts.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple