“Great night stay”

Mountain Goat Lodge
Ranked #1 of 6 Salida B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Stayed in the Princeton room over Christmas 2013, which the views were great. The room was very nice and spacious with amenities such as the mini fridge with complementary water. The breakfast had a very generous selections of food items and coffee, teas and espresso. The host was very accommodating and hospitality for a B&B was very warm and inviting.

Room Tip: The Princeton room had great views especially in the morning during sunrise.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Gina and Darcy M, Owner at Mountain Goat Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

I'm so glad that we could give you a warm, Salida welcome over the Christmas holiday. Thanks for sharing your recommendation and also the holiday with us at Mountain Goat Lodge. It was our pleasure to host you over the holidays and we look forward to seeing you again on a future visit.

All the best,

Reviewed February 28, 2014

If Old Mac lived in THIS place, he would still be there! The accommodation afforded all the extras one could desire, including those available for our dog. The property includes 20 acres, and the barn and paddock area for the goats, llama, and assortment of chickens was well-kept. Fresh goats' milk and cheese is available, and one couldn't hope for any fresher and more wholesome eggs. My husband enjoyed some with his custom-cooked breakfast. A nice assortment of choices are available to suit individual preferences. The lodge also includes a large enclosed dog area, library, videos, outdoor hot tub (facing the peaks to the west; amazing number of stars at night we can't see near big city lights), treadmill, interesting greenhouse, and the entertainment of observing the antics of the animals. The facility is comfortably furnished and tastefully decorated in a modern western rustic style - I say modern because often "rustic" equates with uncomfortable and Old Seedy, but such is not the case. We also had the opportunity of viewing the other rooms, and we would have been happy in any of them. Even though probably not classified as a "resort," this accommodation provides the amusements and feeling of one, certainly head and shoulders above the traditional B & B or motel. Gina was a congenial and interesting hostess, and she made sure we had everything we needed. The lodge is on the west side of Hwy 285. Approaching from the south, it's about one and half miles past County Road 140; from the north, it's less than a mile south from Road 160. The tall spruce tree next to the road and well-lit sign make finding the lodge easy.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Sawatch suite, on the NW side of the lodge. It's on the lower floor, has a kin...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Gina and Darcy M, Owner at Mountain Goat Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

I'm glad to hear that everyone (dog included) enjoyed the amenities of our property! It sounds like you were really able to take advantage of the things we offer from the greenhouse to the hot-tub. Thanks so much for taking the time to share you feedback. I hope you'll come back and join us again the next time you head out this way. We really enjoyed hosting you!

Reviewed February 23, 2014

We were among the first guests when MGL opened 4 years ago, and we have returned many times. This place just keeps getting better. The majestic view of Mt. Princeton from the hot tub in the back 19 acres always lifts our spirits. Gina tends to her business with passion and attention to detail, from offering a choice of goat, soy or cow milk in your latte, to designating a cat-friendly room for guests. All rooms welcome dogs, as you might expect. Animals are key here. Goats are the main draw--the kids can be cuddled like puppies--and their companion and protector,Pilar the llama, is stately and entertaining. And yes, the eggs served at the hearty and creative breakfasts do come from Gina's chickens. There there's the solar-powered, geodesic-domed greenhouse, where she grows all sorts of greens, fruits, flowers, etc. And there's so much to do and see in both Salida and BV and the surrounding region. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Gina and Darcy M, Owner at Mountain Goat Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

It's so great to hear from our very first guests! We now consider you friends - and even feature your photos on our website. I'm glad that you've been able to soak in our Mt. Princeton view and pet friendly atmosphere on many occasions. Thanks for taking the time to share your praise. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

Gina is a wonderful host. You feel like a part of her family almost instantly. She makes incredible breakfast and includes her goat milk products (try the goat yogurt). She even kindly accommodated our dietary restrictions. :) Plus, goats!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Gina and Darcy M, Owner at Mountain Goat Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

I'm so glad I could make you feel right at home! I'm always happy to accommodate my guests as best as I can, so thanks so much for sharing your experience and helping to spread the word. I hope you'll come see us again — don't be a stranger!

Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

We had the wonderful opportunity to stay at the Mountain Goat Lodge last weekend. The accommodations are excellent and the food is absolutely magnificent! We had the opportunity to see Gina's greenhouse from which all of the fresh veggies & fruit are grown. It's a work of art! We also had fun playing with the goats, especially the baby ones. Now this leads me to our dog! He had so much fun! Seriously, I almost forgot I wasn't home! Thank you, Gina, for the food, the company, and the fun! Can't wait to see you again soon!
~Anne D.

Stayed: February 2014
Gina and Darcy M, Owner at Mountain Goat Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

I'm thrilled to hear that we were able to make you (and your pup) feel right at home. I appreciate the sweet compliment about my greenhouse. It really is my little work of art and I'm always excited to share it with others. Thanks so much for staying with us and also for leaving such a glowing recommendation.
Please think of us when you get your new Comphy sheets - I know you will love them!
I hope you'll come back and visit us again someday! Warm regards, Gina M., Owner

Reviewed February 7, 2014

We had a wonderful 3 nights at the Mountain Goat Lodge. Gina is friendly and she cooks excellent breakfasts! She introduced all the guests to each other and remembered our names. There were cookies/snacks and tea/coffee available all day. The shared area is comfortable and set up well for conversation. The rooms are large (for a B&B) and airy, with a desk and nice-sized closet area. The bathroom, while not all that special, included all the little things that make a stay more comfortable - like enough towel racks and a place to put toiletries. The owner's and guest's dogs are allowed to roam freely - which was great! I took both the chicken and goat care classes while my husband was skiing. While cold (it was January), the goat care class was very informative and helpful. The lodge's eggs and goat milk are highlighted in the breakfasts. We have stayed at many B & Bs and this is definitely at the top of the lists! We will stay here again if skiing Monarch.

Room Tip: Rooms with SE or NE exposure will be quieter (away from the road). Otherwise, the 4 standard rooms a...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thanks so much for staying with us and also for leaving such a thoughtful review, Deb! I'm delighted to know that you enjoyed everything from the goats to my home cooked breakfasts so much! Thanks, too, for making mention of all the little touches we add to try and make our guests as comfortable as possible. I hope you'll keep us in mind the next time you head this way. -All the best, Gina M., Owner

Reviewed February 6, 2014

We booked here because it was pet friendly, it looked good and had good reviews. We have stayed in other pet friendly places before but this is the cleanest and nicest one we have ever stayed at. The rooms are large, clean and well themed, breakfast is amazing and Gina and her staff are super friendly. The property with goats, chickens and dogs is just fun. We will definitely stay here when we come back.

Room Tip: All rooms are good. We stayed in a suite that was large and a nice view. Just ask when reserving and...
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

I'm so happy to hear that your visit was a success. I'm especially glad to hear that you were fond of the rooms and enjoyed our animal-friendly property! Thanks so much for choosing to stay with us and also for leaving such a wonderful review, Rick. We look forward to hosting you again the next time you head this way! Best regards, Gina M., Owner

Also consider these accommodations in or near Salida
Salida Inn & Monarch Suites
Surf Chateau
Surf Chateau
#1 of 8 in Buena Vista
Mount Princeton Hot Springs Resort

Been to Mountain Goat Lodge? Share your experiences!