“Delish pilgrim!”

True Grit Cafe
Ranked #1 of 27 Restaurants in Ridgway
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Howdy folks! Welcome to the True Grit Cafe Established in 1985, the "Grit" as it is known has been serving hungry tourists and locals for over 25 years. We offer excellent and tasty 'Cowboy Cuisine' in a comfortable western environment with a friendly staff that will make you feel like you're part of the Grit Family. We take a lot of pride in our homemade fare including the best dang chicken fried steak this side of the Rocky Mountains. Other menu specialties include hand-pattied burgers, mouth watering Tex-Mex Specialties, juicy steaks, house made meatloaf, fresh tempura battered mahi mahi fish and chips, sandwiches and gourmet salads. For the vegetarians we offer lots of tasty choices. We are also gluten-free friendly. Our wide selection of liquors, beer and wine give you a great place to gather round with the locals and visitors alike. We have two full bars, one on the main floor and one upstairs, around which locals and visitors gather to chat or share experiences in the beautiful San Juan Mountains. Our remodeled upstairs with its large private booths will accommodate from two to fourteen people, and don't forget the deck overlooking our beautiful park. The True Grit Cafe was built to honor the filming of the academy award winning movie "True Grit" starring John Wayne. Come sit on the deck and look out at the beautiful background you'll see throughout the movie. Oh, and you'll see a lot of pictures of the great star's film legacy all around.
Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

The service was very attentive! The mussels were the best we have ever had! The tomato basil soup was so good and the fish tacos were pretty tasty! Good job!

1  Thank hinhankola
There are newer reviews for True Grit Cafe

Reviewed June 21, 2014

I am an aficionado of chicken-fried steak and True Grit never fails me!!!! The steak was huge, with crunchy breading; tender, REAL beef; some of the best smashed potatoes ever; and all smothered in cream-style gravy!!! Then, there were the sides...I chose green beans, as they are Southern style with bacon, and absolutely the best ever!!! For those of you who may prefer brown gravy, yep, they got that covered in spades....I had a small side, just to try.....made a great shot!!! Excellent service, real west decor, rustic charm with great cooking! Cannot me beat!!! Full bar, too, but also family friendly.

1  Thank davep270
Reviewed June 3, 2014

I stopped in for lunch. I was traveling with two 90+ year olds with limited mobility. I went in to see about seating. I told the hostess that I was traveling with the seniors and she sarcastically said "So?" (like it wasn't her problem). Rather than explain their accessibility options, she passed me off to waitress who offered me a menu, but she would not tell me if there was a ramp to get into the place or offer me any estimate of seating time. I can honestly say I have never had such rude service and was shocked. We went to another restaurant in Ridgeway and they treated the seniors with the utmost respect. See my Ridgeway reviews..

2  Thank Road_Bear57
Reviewed May 15, 2014 via mobile

Killer Chicken Fried Steak, great beer selection, and really friendly staff. Plus a little Hollywood history. A must do in Ridgway!

Reviewed May 12, 2014

True Grit has historical significance for its connection with the John Wayne movie. I stopped here once because Kate’s Place had closed for the day. I had a burger and it was OK. I like the food offerings better at Kate’s Place so ‘she’ gets my undying loyalty.