See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed July 6, 2013

This isn't a cookie cutter hotel (one of hundreds of identical buildings in a chain). It has a unique rustic charm to it. The architecture is old timey cool.

You need to know what you're getting into though. There is no A/C. The walls are thin.

So, depending on your tolerance of such things, this place may not be for you.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Shannon L
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We arrived exhausted after a long, multi-day, hot drive. Our first night was restless because of the altitude change but after that we settled in nicely and by the time we left, we were sad to go. We stayed in room 103 (spacious 1st floor queen) which was rustic but very comfortable. Since the hotel is on the main drag between Durango/Cortez and points north, there is some traffic at night but you quickly get used to it. Argentine Grill was fantastic, as was breakfast. Staff attentive but not overwhelming. We had considered Telluride and I am so glad we stayed at the Rico instead! Also appreciated that our Golden Retriever was welcome with slight extra fee.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

Way overpriced at $100. No coffee, no breakfast, no ice, no AC, no staff around to fix toilet. Cool atmosphere, like staying in a friends house, but zero else. Pretty underwhelming for a place with so much potential.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank KyleKman
ricobnb, Manager at Rico Hotel Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

we thank you for your critique it can only make us better.
Things can sometimes go wrong and I apologize if we overlooked something.
We do have 24 hour contact with the managers phone number affixed to the main office door.
I was very surprised to hear that the breakfast which is one of the highlights of the guest's stay according to the feedback we receive was overlooked.
Hopefully you will be willing to give us another try in the future.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Location and value were awesome-I reserved via hotels.com and this was available (as opposed to Telluride being packed b/c of jazz festival). I loved that pets were welcomed. The public spaces were great and my meal at the Argentine grill was fantastic. Breakfast was a feast-delicious frittata and other treats. My only complaint was the room smelled musty and old-the hotel rooms do show wear and tear. I slept well though, it was quiet, and my experience was overall pretty great.

Room Tip: You have to book a first floor room if you are traveling with pets, if I remember correctly.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 17, 2012

In a small mountain town you don't have many choices for a hotel stay. The historic hotel in Rico is aged and shows it, which is what makes it so splendid. The owners have updated the rooms, but as is the case with most older buildings, you can only slap on so much lipstick. But who cares as the older floors creak when you enter the lobby, sitting area. The place oozes history and the hotel is comfortable. Not to mention the dining in the attached Argentine grill- spectacular. Not to be reviewed- but experienced!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo