“Wonderful if you love food”

Papa Jose's Union Cafe
Ranked #54 of 324 Restaurants in Pueblo
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Best place in Colorado, I drive from Colorado Springs just to eat here on my days off.
Food is fabulous

Reviewed August 17, 2013

We were in Pueblo for a festival and decided to take a break and get some dinner. I hopped on tripadvisor and found this place. Maybe it was an off day, but our food wasn't even average. It was flavorless, flat, and the service was terrible! Stay away if you like flavor.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

I love this place so much that I eat here nearly once a week, usually for lunch, sometimes alone or with co-workers. It is a great casual lunch spot with amazing food! I love the machaca (shredded beef.) The seasoning is outstanding! You must order something with machaca in it, even if it is only a taco. The prices are very fair and all of the workers are friendly.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Growing up in Pueblo, you develop some very strong opinions about your favorite Mexican restaurant. There are 4 or 5 at the top of my list, each for different reasons. We had never tried Papa Jose's before and decided to go on a recent Friday night. We were seated quickly by friendly staff. You could tell from the conversations around us that there were lots of regular customers here. The guacamole was good, not great, but had good flavor. I didn't care much for the salsa, too runny and mostly just ground red chile and water. Wife had two soft tacos, rice and beans. One chicken and one Machaca. She said both were very flavorful. She didn't care for the rice but liked the beans. I tried the rice and liked it, so... I usually judge a Mexican restaurant on it's Menudo. First, if they even take the time to cook it on a weekday, and second by the smell and taste. I rate the Menudo here top notch. Good meaty flavor and not overwhelmed with dried red chile. The only thing that would have made it better would have been the addition of pig's feet. Well, you can't have everything. The warm tortillas were excellent. The service was very good, the server friendly and didn't rush us at all which made for a relaxing evening. We will most likely go back.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Drove downtown to check this place out due to Trip Advisor reviews and we were pleased with the atmosphere and the food.

Nice wait staff and good service and we got out of there with full tummies and less than 20 bucks.

Not bad for a Saturday night meal.