“Worth the trip”

Papa Jose's Union Cafe
Ranked #32 of 334 Restaurants in Pueblo
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Best mexican food in the area. Though Colorado mexican food is different to us, this is the best we have found. Spice is just right and staff and servings are very good. A must stop for us when we come to town.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Papa Jose's is in the Riverwalk area of Pueblo. When we went on a Friday night, the area itself was very quiet with few people - surprising to me. Papa Jose's however, was packed with people. That's the reason we decided to go in and eat there. The food was good; wait staff very pleasant and helpful. When we wanted real ice cream for dessert, and they only had "fried", our server directed us to Taffy's, down the road and over the bridge. It was another authentic Pueblo experience, great ice cream and a quirky "patio" alongside the parking lot. We were told Michelle Obama had visited there a bit ago. Happily recommend both places.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

We go to Papa Jose's at least once a month. Love the Chicken Taco Colorado with hot green chilie!!!!

Reviewed August 7, 2012

My husband and I met another couple here on a Friday around 5:30 pm. We got the last table. It is located inside an old builiding and is very small inside. It was over 100 outside and it felt like there was no air on inside. It had to be over 80 degrees inside. They did have ceiling fans. My tamales were hot picy and yummy! My friends got the tacos and said they were ok. My husband got a combo plate but he liked my tamales better. The sopillas were good. The are small but right size after a meal. We will go back when the weather cools down.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

It is a staple that anytime we pass through Pueblo we eat at Papa Jose's. We have been doing this for the past 25 years. I was surprised at our last visit how the service has gone downhill. It has been three years since our last visit, so I forgot whether you sit and order or if you go up to the counter and order. The middle-age gentleman (I am guessing the owner or manager) finally motioned us to the counter and had us order. When I placed my order I didn't see sopapillas on the menu so I simply asked, "Do you have sopapillas?" He looked at me and sarcastically said, "Of course, they are the best in the city! I am surprised you didn't know that!" Somewhat sarcastic....We waited after our meal was done for the sopapillas to arrive...20 minutes....3o minutes. So again not remembering how it works, I simply asked the same man, "Sir, do we get the sopapillas up here at the counter?" Again, rudely, he said, "We will bring them out when they are good and ready." Just thought his attitude was not customer friendly, and though the food is good, I am not sure we will return. There are other restaurants in the city vieing for our service.