“Nice salad, questionable service”
Review of Zoka's

Zoka's
Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in Pine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
New York City, New York
“Nice salad, questionable service”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Stopped here with a group of five for an early dinner upon the recommendation of another friend. I loved my fresh beet salad, but also had really wanted to try the elk chili on the side. When I asked if I could have just a cup of it, instead of the large bowl listed on the menu, the young server told me she couldn't do that. Seemed like a weird response. Server would disappear for great lengths of time, then eventually brought us the wrong bill. We had wanted to hit the road before dark but by the time we got out of there (another problem with the bill, second time around) it was too late. I would go here again, but only if I had LOTS of time.

• Visited October 2013

Colorado Springs, Colorado
“A Surprising Find”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

You just don't expect gourmet quality eats in an isolated mountain village like Pine, and that is where Zoka's really surprises. The atmosphere is upscale first class, more what you'd expect in Breckenridge or Vail than in an off-the-beaten-track village; and the menu, which changes nightly, is vast, varied and spectacular - ranging from awesome British pub fare like fresh-battered cod and chips, to well-executed Tex Mex, to steakhouse standards like ribeye, filet, and prime rib. Good service, a huge, well-stocked bar, and very, very reasonable prices make Zoka's a combination that is hard to beat. The only drawback we experienced was on one of the two nights we were there (yes, it was so good we went back a second night) they had a local musical group playing, with friends joining in as the mood moved them, and it was too loud to carry on a dinner conversation. So go early, or ask for a seat in the bar, away from the amplifiers.

• Visited September 2013
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Good food but OMG the live music in the evening is deafening!”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

The food here is really amazing -- the menu is imaginative and varied, and everything tastes fresh and delicious. The servers were all pleasant and attentive.

But we were here in the evening, and the music (played live by a tie-dyed confab who appeared to have listened to a lot of Jerry Garcia at impressionable ages) was so loud we couldn't even hear each other when we were shouting across our table.

If we went back, we would ask to be seated out on the deck; I think we would have been better able to converse while we enjoyed our dinners.

If you don't mind loud music, though, or if you can go at a time when it's not being played, this is the place for a delicious meal in a beautiful mountain-town setting!

• Visited August 2013
Golden, Colorado
“Beautiful view, great food and service too!”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We came here from Golden and Conifer with a large family group to celebrate two birthdays. First, we were delighted with the view of the mountain valley and river, and then with the attentiveness of the wait staff. It was 6 pm on Friday, and it wasn't crowded. The menu was really impressive with such a variety of offerings, from my ahi to my husband's Louisiana Ribeye, to fish and chips and elk medallions. Everyone in our party loved their entrees. They also had good appetizers - I had wonderful gazpacho, and others shared crab cakes and HOT chicken wings.
Ever since a trip to Marblehead, Mass. 2 years ago, when I was introduced to a cocktail named "dark and stormy" I've been seeking another more local source for the drink, but have always been met with a blank stare. Until last night when I saw that they had another cocktail special involving Gosling's ginger beer - a key ingredient. When I asked the waiter if they had the Gosling's dark rum to go with it, he knew immediately what I was looking for. HEAVEN!

• Visited August 2013
andy327
“Best Burger Ever, and at a very good price!”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stopped here after some mountain biking and grabbed a couple of kobe beef burgers. They were absolutely amazing. I am usually a burger snob, prefering buffalo to beef most of the time. These burgers were truly top notch. I got the one with bacon and guacamole. Considering the quality and location, $11 was a very reasonable price for what we got. Service was prompt and cheerful. Location and decor are awesome- right across the street from a river. This place is good enough that I would drive up from Colorado Springs on a weekend just to eat there. They are dog friendly too!

• Visited June 2013

Been to Zoka's? Share your experiences!