“The best place on earth!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Parshall
Bar Lazy J Guest Ranch
Thompson Falls, Montana
“The best place on earth!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2010

The Bar Lazy J Guest ranch is perfectly situated on the Colorado River. It's a guest ranch, not a hotel, so you stay for the week, go fishing, horseback riding, eat REALLY great food, enjoy warmth by the bon fire, soak in the near by hot springs, get a massage, laugh with the entertainment, listen to some guitar strumming and singing, shop their small though well appointed gift shop. Most of all, the time you spend with Jerry & Cheri - the owners, is special - as they make the Bar Lazy J what it is with their good humor, incredible hospitality and attention to detail. Time spent at the Bar Lazy J should be on everyone's "100 things to do before I die" list. Of course, we had our wedding here, so it was the best day of my life so far!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FallsMotelMT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Cape Coral, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2010

After our first trip in Sept. of 2000, we were hooked. This ranch has it all: cozy accommodations, great hot tub for an "after ride" soak, fabulous food, a short hike to the PI for our traditional table hockey (or whatever it's called) competition, and best of all, the most delightful herd of horses to carry us off on our adventures. Our host and hostess, Jerry and Cheri Helmicki, have become extended family to us, as have their warm and friendly (and attentive) staff, and we look forward to our family reunions!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
Near Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2010

When I think of a ranch with a real western experience, I used to think of roughing it, eating meals with baked beans, and a saddle sore backside. I am a Midwestern girl, born and raised, an executive business woman for 20 years, and not interested in the rough life, simply the best life can offer my. My vacation ideals were my children laughing, my husband happy, and myself being pampered with pictures a plenty to scrapbook and prove it.

Let me explain exactly how our first visit went to the Bar Lazy J Dude Ranch, and you will see exactly why we return every year, and why you should too.

We first visited the Bar Lazy J Dude Ranch in 2007. We had no idea what to expect, so we did a little research, and listened to the high praise the Bar Lazy J received across America. We checked into the Dude Ranchers Association, and they received accolades there also. So we talked to our children, then ages 7 and 10, and booked our vacation. What a blessing that booking was to our family.

Driving to this beautiful location was pleasurable, and relaxing in and of itself. The seclusion is real, but a moderately big city is not far away. We turned down from the main road to enter into the Bar Lazy J, and my children saw about 100 horses mingling in a fenced corral, and began to get very excited. One minute later we were pulling into the Bar Lazy J Dude Ranch, and leaving the world behind.

We arrived at the lodge to be greeted by first names by Jerry and Cheri the owners and two of the very nicest people you could ever hope to meet. King was there with his tail wagging to greet the kids as we left our car. Nothing says hello to kids like a dog who can’t wait to play with you, and simply hang out. Sue and Dale, immediately introduced themselves, and helped us unload our car, and get everything into our very own cabin located right on the river. During this, Sue told the kids all about the Cookie Bin in the lodge.

As we entered into our cabin, we were instantly immersed into the calm of hearing the river ramble by our screened in porch in front of our cabin. Our children immediately picked their beds, unpacked, and headed for the lodge in search of the famous never ending cookie bin. It is a bit “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory” to say that the never ending gobstopper has nothing on the Bar Lazy J Dude Ranch in that the cookie bin is always full, with ever changing varieties, and they are all absolutely delicious.

So there my husband and I stood, 15 minutes after arrival, and our children have abandoned us for cookies. We finished unpacking and headed for the lodge ourselves to check everything out. After a quick 2 minute ramble from our cabin we turned the corner and walked past the fountain and antler sheds to one of the many lodge entrances. We were greeted, again by names, and shown where the cookie bin was, as well as where to get water, amazing lemonade, hot chocolate, tea, coffee, or Kool-Aid. We helped ourselves, and walked around the lodge room checking out the jigsaw puzzle waiting to be completed on a table, books about the history of the Bar Lazy J sitting on the coffee table in front of a beautiful fireplace, and comfy chairs and couches for simply hanging out.

We did not see our girls, Samantha and Jessica, so we headed out a different door and heard definite laughter coming from through the lilac bushes that were as big as trees. We cut a diagonal path towards that amazing sound of children’s laughter, and entered a play area where we could see a pool, animals like donkeys and goats, a tether ball game, horseshoes, shuffleboard, and most importantly, children chasing little kittens around under the close supervision of two counselors. The kids were all laughing, and cuddling with these darling little kittens, while the counselors watched, and every now and then had to chase down a rogue kitten.

A smile lit my face, and my husband Mike’s, and we knew we were in for some real magic. This was truly just the beginning. Other families began arriving, and their children joined in the play. Cookies seemed to be everywhere, and everyone was introduced by name to the other families.
That first evening we got to know the others fairly well, and learned about all kind of important things like getting boots from the shed, and where the meals are served. We learned who likes to fish, and who simply likes to eat fish. We learned that once inside the Bar Lazy J, people still know your name, and they call you by name with a genuine smile on their faces, and in their handshakes.

I had not been on a horse in 20 years, and was really glad that the Bar Lazy J had taken the time to have us fill out some basic information on our abilities, or in my case, lack thereof. I was very nervous until Jerry held his clinic. He was so down to earth about the fact that everyone is at different levels, and the most important thing we need to do on our vacation is to relax and have fun. He was thorough about how to “drive your horse” as I like to put it. Here is Drive, Here is reverse, and here is stop, the very most important one when you are new to this. I even was told that their horses move away from pressures. I would like that ability also someday.

We got to watch the herd of horses run the road to the corral and it was quite a sight, and something you and your children will never forget. The wind blowing the horses’ manes and tails as they trot right past you on their way to the corral is something from the old western days and frankly something I have never witnessed before, or know anyone else who has viewed anywhere else.

We met our horses later that day, and enjoyed a wonderful meal as a family with plenty of real talk, and plenty of laughter. After dinner, some of the adults hung out playing cards, while the kids played UNO. We went back and had a heavenly night’s sleep in our cabin, listening to the rambling river, and the peace and quiet of Colorado.

My children woke us up before the alarms did. That is a first, last and only since one never willingly gets up before noon and the other does not get up that early. They were excited, and wanted to go play with the kittens, and their new best friends. We let them get dressed and head to the lodge where we would meet them at breakfast. I made a pot of coffee, showered and got ready to tackle our first day of vacation. My husband went out to fly fish right in front of the cabin, while I had my first cup of coffee on the screened in porch watching him fish in the river. We were off to a great start that would set the pace for the week.

Every day the kids could not wait to get started, and they raced off to join their friends for playing, riding, eating, and true companionship. Each meal we all met and talked about what the day had held so far. The children truly enjoyed each ride, and each minute with the counselors and their friends. I took an afternoon off to sip lemonade on my private porch and read a great book while Mike fished in the perfect fishing weather until his arms ached from pulling in so many fish. Yet one more perfect day at the Bar Lazy J for each of us.

Every meal was wonderful, with my favorite being the made to order breakfasts, and my husband’s being the swordfish. My daughters loved burgers, and eating fajitas on the luncheon porch. We all loved the salad bar, and the fact that the food was plentiful, and they were amazingly accommodating of special needs or requests.

Entertainment was something I was originally a bit skeptical about, but that quickly changed. We all loved learning to line dance as a family, listening to Tammy sing with the voice of an angel, and the looks and personality to match. We enjoyed the mix and mingle night, and the campfires, and we even had smores. My kids loved the Pow wow, and playing games every chance they could with their friends. The pool and hot tub were used regularly, at least once a day, and were a great photo opportunity for me.

We did the Spa Ride, the Breakfast ride, and most of the other rides, yet my avid fisherman spouse had plenty of time to catch fish. I could watch him land about 3 in 15 minutes in the morning, and in the late part of the day, he would frequently land many more than that right out the door to our cabin. The fishing is amazing, and so relaxing. I must have 100 photos of him fishing with our kids, and all the other kids too. He loved it.

There is also a stocked pond on the property that he loved to take our girls out to. The difference is, if you catch it in the river, you must catch and release. If you catch it in the pond, you can bring it back to the lodge and Eddie will cook it up for you. We never did keep any of the fish that we caught, but my children and husband loved catching them. Some of the pond ones were pretty big too. In the river, some of them were “trophy fish” according to my husband.

We did so many things during the week, jeep rides, hiking, an Adventure ride, a Spa Ride, a breakfast ride, a hayride, a corny joke wagon ride – one of my personal favorites. I still remember Scotty’s jokes. What do you call a one – eyed deer…? Ask Scotty for the answer when you go.

Some of my favorite rides were “bushwhacking” with Scott, the breakfast ride, and watching my kids do the agility course. I loved seeing my children with ear to ear smiles all week, and excited every day for spending time with our family.

By the end of the week, we had cousins, Aunts and uncles galore, and new friends we would never forget. We felt like we were all family, and we were all relaxed, happy and so glad we chose to go to the Bar Lazy J. There was never a single thing I would change about the Bar Lazy J ranch, and that is one of the many reasons why we go every year.

All in all I can say with all honesty that this is one place that time has forgotten, and that it has a magic all its own. We talk about the Bar Lazy J all year, and plan for most of the year for the next vacation. We believe that while we go to Disney World almost every year, the Bar Lazy J is more about reconnecting as a family, bonding and creating memories that have more to do with the simple pleasures of being together and loving each other as a family should.

We will see you this summer, and the next, and the next – Holly Roper and Family

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
7 Thank Rockin_ropers
Richmond, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2010

I own my own horse and ride several times a week with my husband and friends. So why would we choose to spend two weeks a year at a dude ranch? Because it is the BAR LAZY J! There are no words to adequately describe the magic of the ranch, the genuine hospitality of the owners and staff, the fabulous cuisine and the outstanding horseback adventure riding. So here goes my weak attempt to capture the essence of the Bar Lazy J.

As empty nesters and wanna-be cowboys and cowgirls...our gang (yes we have even dubbed ourselves The Hole in the Pants Gang) was looking for a true Western adventure, but not necessarily with a lot of young kids running around. So as soon as Adult Weeks begin (the last week in August), the 4 of us head to our favorite Western destination. From the time we arrive the magic grabs us and never lets go. We have formed friendships with owners Cheri and Jerry and the rest of the staff as well. Under inspirational leadership, the staff never lets on that this is their job. It just seems that we are guests at their ranch and enjoying their hospitality.

Days begin with breakfast to order...with everything from eggs and bacon to a daily special, waffles, bagels...just about anything your stomach can imagine. And on coveted Thursday mornings (Chef Eddie's day off), Cheri cooks up her legendary blueberry pancakes...only trick is...you want to eat them...you gotta catch them! Needless to say the ranch pigs eat well on Thursdays, enjoying all the dropped pancakes!

After breakfast, we all hit the trail on horses that have been carefully selected to match each person's riding ability and the kind of riding we want to do. The care and safety with which the wranglers manage the riding program is outstanding. And the rides are spectacular. Scenic and moderate rides highlight the beauty surrounding the ranch...and for the more adventure-minded riders, the rides feature rugged terrain and plenty of loping across the range and up the hills. It is the most perfect riding I have ever experienced!

After a few hours in the saddle, lunch on the River Porch is delightful...and delicious. Chef Eddie is a master in the kitchen. I always lose an extra 5 pounds BEFORE going to the ranch so I can enjoy the food without the guilt.

After a rousing afternoon ride, there is time for a dip in the heated pool (with lots of floating noodles to allow for a relaxing pool time) and a session in the hot tub. And then it is on the important business of enjoying a cold beverage on the cabin porch. Comfortable furniture and spacious cabin porches overlook the Colorado River. We especially enjoy the Ranch House porch where we are not on the river, but on the main ranch path...making it easy to visit with friends as they pass by. Each cabin has a cooler....so bring you own beverages. Nothing tastes better than a cold beer after a full day of riding.

Evenings include more fabulous food and activities including line dancing lessons, music at the campfire and a special Friday night at the Buckhorn Saloon. Since the week is for adults, the weekly staff show transforms into a night of poker, games and fun as guests and staff dress up in their Western finest!

So these are the activities that make up your time at the Bar Lazy J. But a trip to the ranch is so much more. There is a true magic that encompasses the ranch. Our memories of each trip are precious, filled with laughter and good times. The Bar Lazy J attracts great people as guests. We have met wonderful friends who come back and meet up with us year after year. I cry when we leave and start counting the days until we return the last week in August for two more weeks of relaxation and rejuvenation. You will never find a ranch with better riding, food and hospitality. We have gone to other ranches, but none compare.

The Bar Lazy J is a proud member of the Dude Ranch Association. If you are planning a ranch vacation and are looking at another ranch (although the only reason to look elsewhere is if you are planning a trip in the winter), Dude Ranch Association members adhere to a level of safety and values that insure a good experience for guests. Check out the association and find ranches on their website which is www.duderanch.org.

In summary, you can never go wrong by choosing the Bar Lazy J in Parshall, Colorado.

Happy Trails
Kalamity K Alferio (of the Hole in the Pants Gang)

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
4 Thank KalamityK
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2010

I've been terribly remiss in failing to write this long overdue review. Frankly, I was dreading writing this as I had promised Jerry and Cheri when we drove away this past August. I knew that writing this review would bring back the fantastic memories of the experiences my wife and daughter had this past summer -- and that I would be sad because we wouldn't be able return for a long time. My eyes are tearing up just thinking about it. We made some fantastic friends that week -- and can't wait to see them again!

The Bar Lazy J was all we anticipated and more. Enthusiastically recommended by two families who have been coming to the Ranch for years, we were cautiously optimistic as we drove through the front gate. Any concerns about the friendliness of the staff were quickly dispelled by the hearty greeting we received from Jerry and Cheri. We knew immediately that we had a home in Colorado! Everyone at the Ranch went out of their way to make us comfortable. If you needed something, all you needed to do is ask for it. They surprised the parents of our friends with a special cake and celebration in honor of their 50th Anniversary. What a thrill for them! Frankly the staff -- each and every person -- are the best features of the Ranch.

The two girls in my life are avid horsewomen -- and they were ecstatic. All of the horses are well cared for and the staff know each of them. Chad, Scott and the wranglers, as well as Cheri and Jerry are all excellent instructors -- by the end of the week, they were able to turn a city slicker novice like me into a "loping fool." Butch (my horse) and I became fast friends -- the only one who wouldn't give me any grief! Each day you have a choice of rides (or no rides) in the morning and afternoon. I strongly recommend joining in on the Calf Soccer -- you'll never stop laughing as you learn how to herd calves around a ring and through goals! A new feature for those adventurous souls is the Saturday spent helping Scott round up some of the 300 head of cattle he is taking care of in the Arapahoe National Forest and pushing them up the mountain. An unforgettable experience that will stick with me forever.

The cabins are very comfortable and clean. We stayed in an older cabin but all are meticulously maintained and have been updated. It does get cool in the evening -- great sleeping even in August! Steps from the Colorado River, you'll never grow tired of the babbling water. The river is only a foot or so deep here -- so you really don't have to worry about kids falling in. Fantastic fishing for those who are interested -- optional guide services are available or you can go it alone. Screened in porches are great for hanging out in -- but we really never were bothered by mosquitoes or flies. While there is no "business center," cable TV or Internet connectivity (mercifully), I did have success with a Verizon WAN card from my room -- making it easy to take care of a few items related to work. Fortunately my wife and daughter were able to convince me to finally shut it down!

The food is excellent -- well prepared, hearty entries created and served with obvious care and pride. BYOB for those who care to imbibe. Highlights include the breakfast ride (all participate), Cheri's pancake tosses, the Friday night prime rib and trout dinner (adults only -- kids have their own dinner and evening events), and the Monday night cocktail party and steak cookout. Don't forget the fresh cookies in the mess hall! (I still have to go on that diet). Plenty of fresh vegetables and fruit -- all served with a smile!

There is plenty to do -- for adults and children of all ages. Our pre-teen daughter and her classmate friend (a boy) were in the Young Wrangler program. She is an experienced English rider so was eager to ride and enjoyed helping the staff with the younger children. Our only complaint (and a minor one at that) is that she wanted to do more advanced riding than was available to participants in the program. Overall, she had a wonderful time and had plenty of opportunities to join the adults in different activities. The counselors were uniformly excellent -- we were very impressed! You'll love the skits and other activities that your children will perform for you.

The adults can do or not do exactly what they want. There is absolutely no pressure to join any activities. Here are a few of our highlights (in no particular order):
a) My wife's favorite -- the Spa Ride
b) Whitewater Rafting on the Colorado -- perfect for first timers or families with younger children
c) The No Talent Show (Friday night)
d) Frazier Rodeo -- Saturday night
e) Cow/calf soccer
f) Breakfast Ride
g) Sitting by the river, reading or day dreaming
h) The World Famous Parshall Inn
i) Adventure rides -- all over some of the most beautiful spaces in the West
j) Saturday Cattle Ride

What history and beauty! We had a fantastic time -- and look forward to staying at the Ranch many times in the future -- one of our best vacations of all time! Thanks to Jerry, Cheri and all for making this an unforgettable experience! We miss you already! And say hi to Butch for me!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank CapitalHillCowboy
Dairyland, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2009

We just returned from our 7th stay at The Ranch. This was our first time staying 2 weeks, and we are afraid that we may have to continue that trend. As usual, the food, cabin, people and scenery are unmatched. I cant say enough about the riding too. I must say that for me the riding just keeps getting better. The level of instruction and their desire to make a horseman out of you (if thats what you want) is incredible. I have never been so comfortable on a horse and have never had the riding challenge that we did this year.

I watched several people who were either terrified of horses or had never been on a horse before transform before my eyes. They went from quiet observers to riders as the week progressed. Their excitment each day as they proclaimed their goals for the next and then the sense of accomplishment they showed as they met those goals was a joy to watch. The staff at the barn was kind and patient with a sense of humor. We were there during adults only week. While children go into things with a sense of adventure and abandon, adults have a healthy respect for these gentle giants. Some of these folks were in their 70's and this was their first horseback riding experience. I am sure that it can be more challenging to overcome the fear in an adult, but I watched it happen.

I had a new horse this year who was better than each of the others I have loved in the past. My husband rode his favorite too. We could not have asked to be better matched with our companions during our stay. Jerry and Cheri assure that all of their animals are well cared for from the pig to the horses. I cant tell you how many times you hear people commenting on their love for the animals found on the ranch.

This year we went hiking, riding, biking, day tripping, and participated in the nightly entertainment. Our only complaint is having to prioritize what you would like to do. There are choices for everyone from sightseeing trips to physically challenging activities. We will have to go back to get in some of the things that we didnt get to this time. The fishing while we were there was great. We watched as the guide and many of the guests hauled in (and released) beatiful trout from the river just outside the front of their cabins. We have commented many times that this would be the most beautiful movie set.

I could go on and on about our love for this place. With stressful jobs dealing with people everyday this is such a welcome change. The peaceful setting the wonderful family of people that work here and many and varied activities this place cannot be beat. We have enjoyed family time here as well as adults only time and each have their wonderful benefits. I would recommend this ranch to anyone. We have recommended friends go on this trip and they too have become return guests. This is truly the ultimate vacation.

We will miss the staff that we have become friends with, but hope to see them again at the ranch and as they move on. We have truly become friends with those we have met. I commented to my husband on the magic of this place as we left. It was evident as we watched other guests say their goodbyes while shedding tears. I have been fortunate enough to travel to some wonderful places, but never have I seen people cry as they said their goodbyes. You truly do become part of the ranch family.

To all those who make the Bar Lazy J such a wonderful vacation, we truly appreciate you. We are fortunate to have found a place that allows us to fully unwind while enjoying every minute of it. We will see you next year...hopefully spring and fall.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank w0rkt0travel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2009

Bar Lazy J is close to our home in Grand Lake and is one our favorite vacation places in the world. The staff is amazing, the food is wonderful, thanks to a world class chef, and the horses are a dream. We have met some of the nicest people there. It's a perfect place to recharge and come away feeling there are still places where people are honest, kind, and very generous. We have visited three times, and will return.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nora800
Also consider these accommodations in or near Parshall
Hotel Eastin
#5 of 8 in Granby
Ute Trail Motel
Ute Trail Motel
#2 of 3 in Hot Sulphur Springs

Been to Bar Lazy J Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!