“A little Magic on the Colorado” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bar Lazy J Guest Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Parshall
Bar Lazy J Guest Ranch
New England
“A little Magic on the Colorado”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

This was my third visit to the ranch & my husband's first. Cheri,Gerry & their staff spent a lot of time making Gary feel part of the ranch family. The rides are tailored to your ability,pleasure,moderate,or adventure. You have do a training ride to Lope,as safety is always first at the Bar Lazy J. This year Juni Fisher entertained us, she is a first rate singer with many CD's.Her latest "Listen" is up for a Grammy.
Eddie Allen the chief is first rate,be prepared to gain a few extra pounds,his breads & deserts are outstanding.
This year had a high number of first year riders,& Gerry immediately introduced a short pleasure ride to accommodate the rides to the guest. There also others events or adventures to do if you would rather not ride. Plus each horse has been matched to the guest.
They also have a Zip Line,again safety first,but it was great fun & I am 67 years old.
Now Trip Advisor will hint that I am friends with the staff, that is because they make every guest feel like family, it is the secret of the ranch.
So leave your electronics at home & come to Colorado for a little bit of heaven.
Now if this Bad trip advisor software was more clear ( speaking of giving something a bad review ) I should be able to figure out how to add pictures.

Room Tip: Every cabin has a view of the Colorado River
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank jadRetied

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
carmel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

We visited in July this year. We took the trip to celebrate our daughters' high school graduation. We agree with all the other reviews! We loved everything including the delicious food, beautiful scenery, cozy cabins, nightly entertainment, genuine hospitality, amazing horseback riding and fantastic wranglers. I researched dude ranches for one month and certainly was not disappointed with Bar Lazy J. With our family of 5 including 3 teens, it offered the perfect venue for family fun yet freedom for our kids to wander and hang out with other teens in a safe and beautiful environment. We made some wonderful new friends from all over the US. It was a favorite so far and we've traveled extensively. Some of our favorites were the breakfast ride, the spa ride, adventure rides, our cabin on the Colorado river, the food, the zip line, fly fishing, going to the rodeo, line dancing, and campfires nightly and enjoying the other guests We hope to be back again. We have such wonderful memories!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank dmoreland
Oxford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

We have been all over the world and I can truly say, hand on heart, that this is one of the best vacations we have ever had. We flew in from the UK and, due to the school holidays, flights were extortionate, so the ranch had a lot to live up to in terms of our expectations and meeting our "value for money" criteria ; we were not disappointed.

From the very first moment of our arrival, we were greeted with such a warm welcome that we felt like we were amongst old friends and not strangers. Waking to the sounds of the river and the horses coming along the road each morning was such a treat, and the food ....well let's just say that my waistband was much tighter when I left, than when I arrived thanks to chef Eddie's Southern cooking !

The ranch is not so big that you feel lost in a crowd, and not so small that you feel crowded - the balance is perfect. The staff are so great and nothing is too much trouble. It was our wedding anniversary during our visit, and we came back to our cabin that evening to find a bottle of sparkling wine and chocolate covered strawberries waiting for us - what a lovely surprise !

And what about the horses ? My daughter rides 4 times a week and has done so for the last 10 years - she LOVED it. My husband used to ride all the time when he was in his teens, but hasn't spent much time on a horse since then - he LOVED it. I've never been on a horse in my life - I LOVED it. Every ability is catered for, from very young to very old. There were two families of 3 generations staying during our week with ages ranging from 6 months to over 70 and there was something for everyone.

Jerry & Cheri Helmicki run a wonderful place ; a place that feels so much like home that, when the time comes to leave, it is a truly emotional experience.
It will take us a while to save, but we will be going back - no doubt about that.

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely, but bring a heavy duty mosquito repellent as there are some mean little bloods...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank WhereUBin
denver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

My husband and I just spent a week at Bar Lazy J with our grown children and their families including grandchildren ages 7-10. We were celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary and it was one of the happiest times of our lives. We agree with everything that has been written about Jerry and Cheri's wonderful hospitality, the beauty of the area, the stress free ambiance, the comfortable accommodations, the plentiful food, the best horse program we have ever participated in, the variety of activities that kept 9 of us totally happy for the entire week and the fun children's programs. What I would like to elaborate upon is how wonderful this was for 9 of us with different ages and interests. It was perfect for my husband and I because we could share the time with our family, but they could do what they wanted, not what we chose for them. It was perfect for our adult children and their spouses because they could pursue their activities and know their young children were cared for and happy. It was perfect for the young children because they had peers with whom to interact and activities at their level. The ranch is a very safe place so children could take off for the playground or game barn on their own. Children today usually do not have this freedom in their home cities. The week we were there the children became good friends with each other and by the 3rd day were choosing to eat at their own table in the dining room - it was fun for them and allowed their parents time for adult conversation. And yet, it was total fun to share with the children some unique experiences like a rafting trip on the Colorado, a breakfast horse back ride, line dancing, a family hike, soaking in the hot tub, playing a game of tetherball and much more. This week gave all of us an opportunity to grow. I had done horseback riding before, but was never totally comfortable with horses. At Bar Lazy J I met my horse for the week the first night. We grew together as we learned to communicate with Cheri's outstanding instruction, fun rides and my opportunity to lead my horse through the obstacle course on the last day. I am still glowing to know that I learned to build a relationship with my horse enough to accomplish this - something I thought I'd never be able to do. I am also glowing from the yelp of joy that emanated from my 7 year old grandson on the last day when he successfully completed leading his horse through a figure 8 during the barrel race. This little boy had never ridden a horse before coming to the ranch so you can imagine how this accomplishment boosted his self esteem and confidence. I would like to conclude by showing how this was such a perfect place to come with 9 people of different ages - on the last morning the children had their fun activities and among the 6 adults we did 4 different rides or activities. It was a way for us to be together and still do the things we wanted to do. Our week at Bar Lazy J was truly a perfect time in our lives.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank Myrnalee s
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

Our family headed to the Bar Lazy J to fulfill my lifelong dream of spending a whole week riding and being out in the mountains. We had pretty high expectations, and as we turned onto County Road 3 I thought to myself "I hope I haven't set myself up for disappointment" --
I can safely say that Jerry, Cheri, and the rest of the staff exceeded every expectation we had for our stay. From the first meal (Eddie's amazing pot roast) to the last goodbye (who knew we would end up with so many new friends??) we had a truly wonderful time.

I was very impressed with the quality of the horse program. Cheri works hard to keep her string of horses fresh and happy throughout the season, and it shows. She does a great job instructing guests in everything from basic riding skills to finer points of horsemanship. We also really enjoyed the new Challenge Course, with obstacles to test our riding skills.
It was clear that a lot of thought goes into matching the right horse with each guest, as my husband, daughter, and I were very happy and comfortable with our mounts for the week.

The food was every bit as good as the reviews say. Go hungry! And don't worry about eating a lot -- you'll work it off on rides, hikes, fishing, and rafting trips. We didn't try the zipline but we heard the whoops of enjoyment from those who did. Things not to miss: whitewater rafting, hikes with Cheri, Jerry's High Country ride, and all the fun evening activities. Especially the side-splitting staff show!

We can't wait to get back to the Bar Lazy J.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank ZiggyInSB
villa park
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

"What a Wonderful World" The Bar Lazy J is everything I expected and more! Jerry, Cheri and all the staff made me feel so comfortable. I travelled alone for the first time ever and I was well taken care of. Riding, hiking, dining and the Zipline are all outstanding. I enjoyed every minute. I will be back next year.

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank janet k
Temecula Ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

We just completed visit number seven to the Bar Lazy J. 32 of us had an awesome family reunion! This is an perfect venue for any event. Jerry, Chery and the staff make sure everyone has a great time. We are scheduled for visit number 8 in 2015!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank CaptAA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Parshall
Wild Horse Inn
#2 of 3 in Hot Sulphur Springs
The Canyon Motel
The Canyon Motel
#1 of 3 in Hot Sulphur Springs

Been to Bar Lazy J Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!