Don Mammoser Photo Day Tours
Review Highlights
Canadian Rockies

My sister and I recently completed the photo tour of the Canadian Rockies with Don Mammoser. The... read more

Reviewed September 28, 2018
Tonya329
New York City, New York
Canadian Rockies

This trip was six days in Banff National Park. I cannot describe the beauty of the mountains... read more

Reviewed September 27, 2018
Shauna S

All reviews canadian rockies his wife small group bird tour a lot of fun lighting conditions camera equipment great teacher new friends no matter gelato take pictures great photos seven nights sea lions nature photography photography trip
Reviewed June 22, 2015

My husband Bob and I have been on numerous photography trips with Don Mammoser. He's a terrific photographer, but more importantly, he is a brilliant teacher with a keen sensitivity and a fun personality. We've always come away better photograpers from Don's tours and workshops. His instruction style is targeted and personalized to each group member's own self-defined needs, and, because his group sizes are small, he's able to accomplish a great deal with each person over the time of the tour/workshop. Because we've always enjoyed and learned a great deal from Don's tours/workshops, we had high hopes of joining in Tuscany in 2014. That tour was sold out, but we were fortunate to get signed up for 2015. What a great time we all had! Don knows Tuscany inside and out. We enjoyed our time in Florence, but Pienza was the highlight of the trip. We visited little towns rarely visited by tourists and a fantastic winery. Don saw to it that we were in the right place at the right time to get the right shots. Early morning and late evening light -- magical in Tuscany -- but it was also nice to have "down" time mid-day to sight see, eat some gelato, go to a museum. This really was the perfect tour -- a nice mix of photography, culture, excellent food, great wine, and exquisite gelato. Our small group got along great -- we left Tuscany with beautiful photos, new friends, lasting memories -- and even greater respect for Don Mammoser's teaching abilities. And, everyone loved Anya. She was a great sport, modeling for some of our landscape shots -- adding interest and beauty :-) We highly recommend Don and Anya Mammoser's photo tours/workshops.

Reviewed April 10, 2015

I just returned from a photo tour of the Slot Canyons with Don Mammoser. I have been on more than a dozen photo tours, including some of the best known in the business, and Don’s tour is top notch. First of all, he maintains a small group size (maximum of 8) which allows the group to be nimble and to have access to places that a larger group would find difficult. The small group size allowed for considerable individual attention and instruction which I value. On the first evening Don asked the participants about what we individually wanted to accomplish from the tour. I said I wanted to learn about landscape photography because I had previously focused on wildlife. Don made it his mission to ensure I learned many of the skills that make landscape photography different, like using a wide angle lens effectively, using the Live View function of my camera, using the shutter release and how to use a hyper focal distance chart. He also helped with composition and a myriad of other techniques. I saw Don do similar things with other participants to ensure their individualized goals were also addressed.

In addition, because Don knows this area, he was able to arrange for our small group to have access to many places where others seldom go. And in the slot canyons, Don arranged for us to have the opportunity to photograph areas without the usual crowd of tourists in the photos. This experience was very special and I will treasure the memories and take with me all the skills that I learned. I am thrilled with the quality of the photographs I had from this trip.

I will definitely go on another photo tour with Don. Not only did I enjoy his instruction, but he is a very special person with an enthusiasm for photography and an inspirational personal story.

Reviewed September 28, 2014

Don Mammoser and his wife, Anya, conducted this five-day photography tour of the Canadian Rockies. Although we saw and photographed many of the well-known landmarks, Don took us places that were off-the-beaten path and therefore not inundated with visitors. Because it is a course in landscape photography, the shoots were at sunrise and sunset, with critique sessions during the day. Don and Anya provided excellent instruction, both in the field and during the critiques. The group was limited to eight participants, so there was individual attention and assistance. The assistance included not only suggestion for composition and the technical aspects of photography, but equipment repair, as well. Participants ranged from intermediate to professional photographers.

Reviewed September 24, 2014

We arrived in Lake Louise for our ice breaker. Don listened and took notes as we introduced ourselves. For the rest of our time together, he focused on what we hoped to achieve. I have been on other guided photography trips but have never had a more focused guide whose prime interest was in helping his clients shoot good photography.
Don’s strength is putting together all that a photographer has learned from a workshop or a book. He helps the learner make sense of it all. On our way home, we discussed that we will never look at light in the same way again. We will tour with Don in the future, and we highly recommend his tours.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

I just completed my 5th photo tour/workshop with Don in wonderful Yellowstone National Park. It was simply fantastic! Nowhere on earth will you find such special and unique sights and sounds of nature. I found myself using for the first time the video feature of my camera to capture the sights and sounds of the geysers, boiling mud pots and steam coming from the earth sounding like a turn-of-the-century steam locomotive. It was amazing! Don is an amazing teacher! His style includes not only the "bells & whistles" of my fancy camera equipment, but more important than that to me is that he helps me discover and improve the creative side of my photography. The result for me has been the ability to capture such special places in a way that makes me proud of my photography. Don helps you use the tools you have in a much more effective and artistic manner. I really look forward to my next outing with Don!

3  Thank Lonas O