“Terrific breakfast!”

Speedtrap Bistro
Ranked #3 of 14 Restaurants in Palmer Lake
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Los Angeles
“Terrific breakfast!”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Eleven of us had breakfast there the day after Christmas, thanks to a recommendation from a friend. I'd been staying in the nearby town of Monument at a relative's house for the Holidays. Palmer Lake is off the beaten track, a 10-15 minute drive west of the I-25 between Denver and Colorado Springs. IF you find yourself in this neck of the woods, Speed Trap is a worthy breakfast spot.

My wife absolutely LOVED the mushroom and smoked Gouda crepe; large portion and $9. I had the Basic Breakfast (eggs, bacon, a slice of pie shaped cheese potatoes, and toast); all excellent and only $5.95. I know my choice sounds prey basic fare. It was, but each item was perfect. The coffee was a cut above, and our server was on the ball.

The main reason I'm posting this review is because of my wife's raving about her crepe. I'm sure she'll insist on eating there every time we visit our relatives in Monument.

• Visited December 2012

Palmer Lake, Colorado
“Fun place to enjoy a cuppa or light meal.”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

The cozy coffee shop that turns into a great little hang out for a light meal and live music as the day progresses is a nice addition to Palmer Lake. Good coffee some baked goods in a small town atmosphere, not a national chain makes it special.

Visited November 2012
Palmer Lake, Colorado
“A little bit of Montreal surrounded by the charm and beauty of Palmer Lake”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I just read the review of "coffee not very good" and had to laugh out loud! As a local who frequents this marvelous and continually and consistently exceptional cafe, I know that the coffee beans actually come from Serrano's -- part of the local support and community this wonderful gem of a restaurant provides. But just calling this a coffee shop doesn't do it justice. Where else can you find such marvelous crepes (breakfast, lunch and dinner options), some of the best French onion soup I've ever had, the Speedtrap salad (complete with maple vinaigrette, blue cheese, bacon and cranberries) and a surprisingly well-stocked bar? It would be hard to pick my favorite dish there -- is it the crepes Eggs Benedict or the simply amazing Sunday waffles? The bratwurst crepe or the mushroom gouda? The breakfast mimosas on Sunday? The chocolate croissant or the homemade muffins? It's no wonder this fabulous little gem, under the ownership/management of a gorgeous French Canadian named Caroline, draws so, so, so many locals and repeat customers that getting a seat on Sunday morning in particular can be a challenge -- but WORTH the wait, and after all, you get to enjoy one of the most lovely and panoramic scenes in all of southern Colorado. And the coffee? Well. most people clamor for a second cup...enough said! If you haven't eaten here, do so right away.

• Visited October 2012
Colorado
“Coffee not very good”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

The coffee was awful and so were the pastries They are the only coffee place in Palmer Lake, but it's worth it to go an extra 5 miles to Serranos in Monument.

Visited February 2012
Colorado Springs
“Good Lunch”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stop by the Speed Trap to get coffee. I finally tried them for lunch because it was recommended. It was very good! I just got the sweet potato soup and a salad. It was really awesome. Both were served very elegantly....so don't let the looks of the place influence you. I actually DO like the look of the place. I like that it's a great little hole in the wall. They have some really cool events, too.

Visited October 2012