“Welcoming, clean, and well maintained independent hotel close to numerous recreational areas.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of HillSide Inn

HillSide Inn
HillSide Inn
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Pagosa Springs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2012

Welcoming, clean, and well maintained independent hotel close to numerous recreational areas. My husband and I stayed here during a brief detour on a cross-country road trip. We were charmed by this independent hotel and it's staff.

• Stayed February 2012
3 Thank Kay_Bee_1956

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Corrales, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2012

My wife and I traveled to Pagosa to cross country ski and only needed a place to stay for the night. I had previously stayed here several years ago when it was a Holiday Inn Express and it is owned by the same couple but without the corporate connection. Our king size bed and room were very clean and quiet. [If noise is an issue ask for a room on the north side which is opposite the highway.] The continental breakfast was excellent with typical servings of pastries, fruit, yogurt, cereals, and hot items. We'll definitely come back if we need just a quick, clean place to stay in Pagosa.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank carylanddon
gunnison, colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2012

We got off on the wrong foot from the moment I stepped in the door and tried to use the bathroom before checking in...This really irritated the man at the front desk. The bathroom off the lobby was not clean at all. After checking in I mentioned that the water in the hot tub looked unusual. The same irritated front desk man checked the water and said it was fine, and blamed the lighting and tile for how the water looked. After turning on the jets the hot tub the water suds up, as usual. What wasn't usual is that the suds were, I KID YOU NOT, brown. It looked filthy and disgusting.

The irritated front desk man was rude, no two ways about it. He ruined my stay at the hotel. The room was clean enough. The bed was comfortable enough. The front desk woman was easy to deal with, kind an helpful. However, the irritated front desk man was not nice at all. It seemed as he didn't want to deal with me as a guest at all.

If you can find somewhere else to stay in Pagosa Springs, do so. Save yourself the frustration of dealing with the irritated front desk man. Not to mention, the gross brown water in the hot tub...

Room Tip: For a good room and a good overall experience...stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank yajpttebroc

Travelers are raving about these Pagosa Springs hotels

Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2011

Front desk person was very pleasant when we checked in, then after inspecting the room we decided that the beds were not what we wanted to sleep on; old, saggy and worn out. Went back to the front desk to get a refund, explaining this to the same person (middle aged man with an accent) that check us in. He immediatedly became upset, face went red, he started a low mumble that escalated into a loud angry statement of "that the beds are only 2 years old and that he didn't agree with us". Shocked by his behavior my husband stood there quietly and I mistakenly said that "that has nothing to do with us". My statement seemed to really set him off and he got angrier wanting to argue with me. It's at that time I threw my hand in the air and turned to walk out not wanting a confrontation. As I was walking out, he screamed at me again saying that I didn't need to flip him off.....which I did NOT do. We did finally get our refund, but only after he advised my husband that "he(my husband) shouldn't let me be so rude to other people!" Let me? What I didn't tell this idiot that there was a big curly black hair on the floor in the bathroom, tub did not look clean and there was dark mold in the corners on the outside of the tub. All unacceptable. If only I had thought to take a few pictures before leaving before leaving the room!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Cynthia A
Princeton, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2011

The room is clean and the staff is very friendly, but I had a trouble sleeping because I can hear snoring from next door all night. The wall between room is very thin and when someone from next door takes shower, the shower noise is too loud that we had to turn up the TV volume.

However, their continental breakfast was pretty good. They had muffins, bagels, boiled eggs etc.

Also I left my laptop code in my room, and we came back next morning. They looked for it so hard and found it for us.

If you are lucky to have people who do not snore at next room, you will be fine.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Toramaru
Placerville, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

The Hillside Inn (formerly Holiday Inn Express) on Solomon Dr, is located to the west of the town center of Pagosa Springs, but well located to many of the restaurants and shops in the area. The hotel is clean and comfortable. I was informed that they are in the process of remodeling, room by room. The staff is friendly and accommodating and very knowledgeable about things in the area. It is located near to where the balloons are launched for regular balloon rides as well as for a spectacular view of the balloon festival launch (as happened this weekend). It was amazing walking out of the hotel to see so many beautiful balloons in the air nearby. The person I spoke to informed me that they are no longer a HIE because the corporation wanted them to add a 3rd floor (HI - claims to have a 72 room minimum).

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newly remodeled rooms. Those on the west side face the field where the balloons t...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DaisyS01
Cody, Wyoming
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

Our room was very clean. The breakfast was hot, always had hot water in shower and the ice machine did work! Pool looked great however we never had time to check it out more because we were not in the room very much.

Both my friend and I slept great at this hotel.
People have to remember that these small town hotels are not the Hilton. If you walk in looking for problems you will probably find them, We however had a great time.

Saw lots of people enjoying the breakfast area.
Pagosa is a town split in 2 by a large hill, this hotel falls right in the middle.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends