“What a disaster”

Quality Inn
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Pagosa Springs
“What a disaster”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Stayed for three nights over the holidays. Admitteldy, the town seemed to be at full capacity, but Oak Ridge was overwhelmed. When we booked, we were told we could stay in one room for the first two nights, then would moved to a second room for night three. The room was spartan, to say the least,; getting an extra pillow to augment the wafer-thin thing they gave us was a chore. And the supposedly-seamless move to the other room literally left us waiting in the lobby for over an hour, our bags heaped in their back office. Oh, the "continental breakfast" was the worst I've ever seen--watery coffee, instant oatmeal, cheerios. Hot tub fits maybe four people. Would definitely advise NOT staying there.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
jlinneus, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Sir:

First and foremost, please allow me to apologize for the fact that you felt your stay with us was not up to par.

The holidays, (as you noted), can be a crazy time for our little town, and we do our very best to accomodate guests that book late or last minute. Unfortunately, when we do have to have a guest move during their stay, and everyone is trying to get up on the mountain, the best we can do is store your items behond our front desk to give the housekeeping staff the needed time to get the room clean for you from the guest prior. Again, we do try our hardest to accomodate the needs of all of our guests to the best of our abilities, and regret when we fail to do so.

As far as breakfast is concerned, we do offer what is called a basic continental breakfast which is more than any other hotel in our area offers. In addition, we offer 2 different full hot breakfast options for only $3.99 to our guests which is a better breakfast price then any other restaurant in town. We also have a full menu with extremely competitive prices as well. We again, do our very best to offer all of our guests the best ammenities and value for the price, and again, regret when we have a guest unhappy with our efforts.

I do hope you will give us a shot again, I believe you will find a much different experience.

Shanah Schaffer, General manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Katy, Texas
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Chose to stay here as it was close to the Springs and the price was much lower then surrounding hotels. It was a room for the night so I didn't have to drive on after relaxing in the Springs until late at night. It is a value level hotel so no frills or deluxe accommodations were had or expected. The check in was slow but that was expected as I didn't have a reservation. The guy in front of me didn't have on either so it was a long process. The room was what I expected with all of the basic necessities. Bed was ok. I slept good especially after sitting in the Springs for a few hours. But the best part of the stay was in the morning. We left the hotel about 9:00 and went to eat breakfast in the city. I received a call from the hotel letting me know that they had found a wallet in one of our rooms. We asked around and it turned out to be my nephews. He didn't realize it until I asked. We returned to the hotel and the house keeping staff promptly returned the wallet with all of the cash still in it. This may not seem like a big deal but this is the first time we have ever recovered anything that we ever left in a hotel room. I was impressed that the front desk actually called to let me know they had it. Kudos to the housekeeping staff for their honesty.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
It is so nice of you to take the time to publicly acknowledge the efforts of our staff. We hope that every guest feels like family, and you were a wonderful group! We look forward to seeing you again sometime!

Thank you!
Shanah Schaffer, GM
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Booked the Ski package online through the Oak Ridge Lodge website. Advertise "Ski Packages are here starting January 2nd! Come and play in the most snow in Colorado! Prices as low as $77 per person, includes full day adult lift ticket as well as a standard room in our award-winning property! Use promo code "SKI" when booking to recieve the ski package rates; we can't wait to see you!" Using the promo code, selected the King Suite. Confirmation page even showed ski package in the title, however upon check-in the front desk refused to honor the promotion, stating that the King Suite usually goes for $200+ per night and because their own website promotion gave it to me for $76, they could not honor their ski package promotion because the lift ticket was worth $58, which means I would have only paid $18 for the room. How is this my fault? As a savvy consumer, I did the math. They were sorry, but the website made a mistake. Then the website should be corrected to NOT include this room as an option at this price with the ski package, but I believe a business should honor what they advertise. Poor customer service on the part of the front desk and shame on this resort for false advertising.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Aimee R
jlinneus, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Maam:

I apologize for the confusion with your booking. I would like to ask that you contact me directly at the property so that I may get your name and information to research the problem you encountered.

We always honor what our advertised rates are, and I apologize that there was an issue that I was not made aware of.

Again, please give me a call so that I can understand what happened, and take care of the issues for you.

970-264-4173

Travelers are raving about these Pagosa Springs hotels

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Troubles started with the booking. Booked a deluxe room (fridge & microwave). On-line booking did not flag deluxe rooms were not available. When questioned, the front desk personnel seemed to think it was all my fault for not knowing what the web application did not tell me. Hot tub broken the entire stay. Room too hot to sleep, even with thermostat set on 61 degrees. Would spend more for a better experience. Would not recommend.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank PMJ391
Dear Sir/Maam:

First and foremost, please allow me to apologize that you felt your stay was not up to par. I have questioned my front desk staff as to what happened with your initial reservation, but I am unable to do so without the name associated.

If you would, please contact me directly at the property, 970-264-4173, so that I may be able to assist you with your concerns.

Again, I apologize for your dissatisfaction. In the future, please make sure the managment of any property knows of your issues as soon as they occur, so that we can make sure to take care of them immediately for you.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Where do I begin...

We selected the Oak Ridge Lodge via Priceline because of its proximity to the hot springs and paid a premium price by Pagosa standards.

We were not allowed to check in until 5:30 pm and were assigned a smoking room. When I asked why, I was told that all Priceline reservations were automatically given smoking rooms - a known problem. If this was a known problem then why not fix it?

The heating unit was crudely placed in a hole in the outside wall with visible gaps along all sides of the makeshift frame. A steady 10 degree wind passed into the the room causing the heating unit to cycle every 5 minutes. Its sound volume was comparable to that of a vacuum cleaner. Try sleeping with that.

Speaking of sleeping, there was no blanket on the bed - only a thin, dirty bead spread. When we requested a blanket,we were told none were available. The mattress had sloped sides so that if you slept too close to the edge, you would be ejected from the bed.

The room lighting consisted of three 20 watt light bulbs - very romantic but not so great if you actually wanted to read in bed or find an item at the bottom of your suitcase. Fortunately my cell phone had a flashlight app.

Did i mention that the sauna and hot tub were non functional? Also when I went to complain at the front desk, I had to wait because the 2 people in front of me were also complaining to the surly manager.

I can only conclude that either the owner of the Oak Ridge Lodge has never stayed at the Oak Ridge lodge, or that the owner enjoy's torturing the guests!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Greg S
Dear Sir:

First and foremost, thank you for posting your honest comments. While I wish I would have been informed of your dissatisfaction during your stay, I do hope to shed some light on a few of your issues, and hopefully you will be willing to give us another try.

As far as the smoking room booked, I believe that there was a misunderstanding, because the reason you were given a smoking room when you booked through Priceline, is because that is all that was left available at that time. The holiday season is extremely busy for us, and unfortunately, all of our non-smoking rooms had already been booked at the time of your booking. I did check your initial reservation, and it was made for a smoking room, with no requests made for non-smoking. When booking online, I would suggest that you always request a non-smoking room in the notes section unless it is already designated as non-smoking during booking.

The pool and hot tub were down during your stay, however, it was not due to our staff or equipment. Two consecutive nights during the holiday, intoxicated guests splashed all of the water out of the hot tub during sub-zero weather. This destroyed the pump to the spa itself, and were unable to get new equipment unntil after the holiday. We do try our best to keep the guests behavior in line while still being able to offer the ammenity 24 hours per day, but we are unable to account for excessive intoxication. We do our very best to keep all of our rooms, equipment, and property up to the highest standards possible.

Regarding the problem with the construction of the room, I have entered that room myself, and would truly appreciate if you would contact me directly at the property, as I was unable to find the problem you described and would love your help in correcting the issue.

Once again, I truly apologize you felt your stay was not up to par, and our staff failed to provide you with excellent service. I promise you that is not our standard here, and I can only ask for forgivness and another chance. Again, please contact me directly at the property so that we can discuss the situation and what we can do for your dissatisfaction.

Tulsa
Reviewed December 31, 2012

The manager lady don't know her name went above and beyond several times for us while we were there. The lodge is fairly nice.. Great atmosphere.. Directly across the street from the Springs. The rooms were great except for the first night. Opened the door to find that the air conditioner was on instead of the heat. Minor problem.. Great service and stay otherwise.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Chip D
Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

The room was overall fine. The bed was uncomfortable. It was hard and the pillows flat. If you're just staying for one night, it's fine. More than one night, you might get a neck injury. The bar downstairs is nice. Great staff. Walls are thin and can hear lots in the morning.

• Stayed December 2012