“Truck Stop”

Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Pagosa Springs
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Truck Stop”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

My wife and I have stayed at the Oak Ridge Lodge several time over the years. They are conveniently located across the street from the Hot Springs. Rooms are clean and competitively priced. Unfortunately our last stay was seriously tarnished. One of the nights, a large commercial diesel truck was parked and running for 12 hours immediately outside the rear entrance to the building and close to our room. We could hear the truck all night and were unable to turn the heat and ventilation on due to the heavy diesel fumes immediately adjacent to our room. A call to the front desk went to an answering machine with no emergency number. While a message was left, management never contacted us or acknowledged our concern. This truck is parked there once a week. I may stay there again, but never if motel management is going to allow the truck to run outside my door all night. We were very disappointed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank k5sdc
jlinneus, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Dear Sir/Maam:

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your stay with us. I truly apologize that you were unhappy this time around. I personally check those messages at the desk, and I somehow did not recieve any from you. We do have an on-call staff number posted at the desk, and have contracted with the phone provider to have the on-call number included in the message, but they have yet to complete that task.

The truck you heard was a business account we have with a armored-car provider. We try to minimalize the noise, and we have asked the company to park the truck in another section of the parking lot.

I do hope you will choose to stay with us again, please let me know personally when you intend on returning, and we will make sure your stay in enjoyable.

Once again, thank you for your valued time!

Shanah Schaffer, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
New Mexico now (lived in Jamaica and Trinidad)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

Here's a great sign: there is a laminated poster - on the front desk and in each room - urging guests to post a review of their visit on TripAdvisor when they get home! Only places that care - and are confident - about quality would do that.

This hotel is right across the street from the San Juan river, the big Hot Springs resort, and a short walk to downtown Pagosa Springs. The location is perfect, the price was VERY reasonable (cheaper even than hotels that aren't so convenient), neat and clean, and the staff are friendly and helpful.

For about five bucks more than a regular double room, we booked a "Deluxe King" that was very roomy and included a couch, frig and microwave. The decor is a little old fashioned and the TV wasn't a big flat screen, but I don't care about those things. What I *do* care about is that the room was clean (with no overpowering cleaning chemical smell), the bed was comfortable and everything worked.

Oak Ridge Lodge has a nice indoor pool and a hot tub. They also sell discounted tickets to use the hot springs at the resort across the street and I highly recommend this. I never really cared about hot springs that much before, but it was a great experience... sitting in a hotspring looking out on the San Juan river.

Ski season hasn't started quite yet, so I don't know if the prices will go up then. I will definitely stay at the Oak Ridge Lodge anytime I go to Pagosa Springs, though.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jill G
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

We were staying during hunting season. When a bunch of hunters from Lubbock arrived they came in being very loud. The sound from the hall travels easily to the room. The 3.99 upgrade for a hot breakfast is well worth it, 2 eggs, hash browns, bacon or ham.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Donald W
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

Room was filthy and there were undergarments left in lounge chair. The toilet was not clean and the window on the ground floor would not lock. I've stayed here several times in the past, but I will never stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Cindie1
jlinneus, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Thank you for thaking the time to post your comments about our property. I sincerely apologize that you felt the room was not up to the standard you have come to expect here at the Oakridge. My housekeeping staff has been here for 4-28 years, and take very much pride in the work they do. However, as must have happened in this case, we made a mistake.

I would ask that only the next time you have a concern you contact the managment on site at the time of the occurance and give us a chance to make the situation right for you. With that being said, I again apologize that you felt that this stay was not as nice as your prior stays with us, and I truly hope you choose to try us once again.

Thank you for your time in reading my response.

Shanah K Schaffer, General Manager

Travelers are raving about these Pagosa Springs hotels

Overijse, Belgium
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed 2 nights in this hotel, for which we had paid in advance. Upon showing the pre-paid voucher, the clerk nodded but asked for our credit card in case of incidentals. We noticed a couple of days later that our credit card was charged for USD 190,20 for the 2 nights. We phoned the hotel to no avail and e-mails were not answered. Fiinally when our tour operator faxed them proof that we had already paid, they reimbursed the amount on our credit card. We had expected an apology but never got one. This is very poor customer service to say the least. The room was quite cozy, but not very clean. Sheets were very thin and old and the bedspread had some holes in it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ellen361
OakRidgeLodge, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

We apologize for the confusion our staff had with your bill. We have had several new staff members in training. This is not an excuse, but we know this was a great inconvenence to you and should not have happened. The way the third party billing works is sometimes very confusing to guests. We at times ask our guests to fax over documents to better assist our guests in solving any issues they may have. We apologize you had to go through this and that we were unable to fix your issues immediately. We pride ourselves on our great customer service and want each and every guest to feel like they are at a home away from home. We hope you will give us another chance to make your next vacation to Pagosa Springs a wonderful one. Again we do apologize for the great inconvenence you were put though and we hope to see you again in the future.

Sincerley,
Management
Denver, CO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

The Oak Ridge Lodge is located just across the road from The Springs Resort. It is also within easy walking distance to downtown Pagosa Springs, several restaurants, coffee shops, shopping and the San Juan River.

The room rates are reasonable and most of the rooms are comfortable and clean although somewhat dated. We like this hotel for the location. It is a much better bargain than The Springs Resort.

I will mention, however, a couple of negative things that we have encountered while staying at this property. Be sure you do a "sniff check" of your room before you accept it. We have had occasion where the offered room had an offensive odor (dog urine, I am afraid). Also, we were once charged twice for one night, so double-check your bill before you leave. Also (and I realized this is of no importance to some travelers) they advertise in bold letters on their sign in front of the hotel that they have a lounge. They do, but good luck on going in there for a drink. Most of the time it is closed. On this trip, we tried four times to stop in and have a drink to no avail! Once, we were turned around at the door and told "they were closing". Their hours are totally random. I guess they didn't want the money the four of us were ready to spend each evening for the three nights we were guests there!

Overall, it is a fine place to stay in the very small town of Pagosa Springs. We come to enjoy the hot springs and the beauty of the area. Quality (affordable) lodging is minimal. We long for a Sheraton or Marriott, but this place will do for short stays.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
jlinneus, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Thank you for taking your time to review our property, and for choosing to return.

I must truly apologize as to the limited restaurant hours. As so many of our small resort businesses, the economy has been very hard on us, and the lack of snow so far this year has been tough as well. We have been forced to limit our hours in the restaurant to keep costs down in order to remain a great room value for pagosa Springs.

We hope you will again choose to stop by, and that we wioll be able to provide you some great food, and amazing service. Thank you again for your comments, and understanding.

-Shanah K Schaffer, GM
Taos, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

The location of the hotel is perfect. It is right downtown but at a very reasonable price compared to others. The staff is very friendly and concerned that their guests are satisfied with their visit.

I enjoyed the food in the restaurant and being a beer drinker, the beers on tap were very welcome. I will stay here again if I am in Pagosa Springs.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo