“A Unique Relaxing Experience”

The Springs Resort & Spa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A family-friendly hot springs resort in the heart of Pagosa Springs Colorado. Offering 23 individual soaking pools of varying temperatures terraced along the banks of the beautiful San Juan River. 100% naturally therapeutic mineral water. All our pools are fed by the Guinness record holder for the World's Deepest Geothermal Hot Spring. Included are a swimming pool, wading pool for the tots, waterfall and jetted tubs. Our Bath House is open to the public year-round and offers changing rooms, lockers, showers, and gift shop. Hours: 7AM - 11PM Clothing mandatory. Lodging and full service spa available on-site, our hotel guests have 24-hour soaking privileges.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage
Reviewed July 6, 2009

After reading several of the reviews, I was somewhat hesitant about staying at The Springs Resort. However, I am glad I keep my reservation! I was traveling from Connecticut to Colorado to spend a relaxing weekend alone (I'm a 35 yr old single professional). I wanted to experience something that I could not at a spa in CT; hence the allure of the hot springs.

I stayed in what is considered the Deluxe Units, which only offered a view of the parking lot and the new hotel. I felt the room was overpriced due to lack of view, dining, bar, but the room offered a kitchenette (I don't like to cook while on vacation). The cotton spa robes were a nice touch.

The lack of a restaurant was somewhat disappointing, but there is a Mexican restaurant and a coffee shop for light breakfast a short walk across the bridge. The bar in the new hotel is very small, and only beer and wine is offered... so don't expect to have a morning mimosa or bloody mary to enhance the relaxation. The main hotel lobby does offer self serve coffee, water, and juices, though (no continental breakfast). I must add, that yes, I did have housekeeping service (I didn't expect it due to another review).

The multiple tubs were exactly what I wanted (not run-down they way another reviewer suggested). They were clean and the temperatures were well monitored by the staff. It was very nice to lounge in the tubs, while enjoying the San Juan river pass by. Much to my surprise there were a lot of children in the tub area. I wouldn't have thought hot springs soaking would be enough to entertain children. I love children, (I have 17 nieces and nephews) but only a few of the tubs were "Adults Only". Also, the tubs are available to "non-guests". The tubs themselves were not over-crowded (probably due to the warm weather), but the decks and lounge areas were overcrowded... it was somewhat difficult to find a chair.

Overall, I had a great experience in the hot springs. To experience something unique while relaxing was my ultimate goal and that was satisfied. The hotel staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The only actual benefit that I think there is to staying at the hotel (I wouldn't classify it as a resort) is having 24hr access to the tubs. If I was to return (probably will), I would probably go when the weather is cooler and school is in session.

SpringsMgmt, Public Relations Manager at The Springs Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our family owned resort hotel! It is of utmost importance to The Springs Resort & Spa to make every stay a positive experience for all of our guests. We'd like to thank you for your feedback and we hope you consider joining us again soon!

Reviewed March 31, 2009

Overall - Average Rating to Below Average

The 17 hot spring pools were nice.

The room was not as advertised. The description was of a "meadow view." However, the only view we had was of a parking lot on one side, and a construction site on the other. No meadow in sight.

When we reported a heating system concern to the front desk, it was not handled appropriately. The heat would not go below 74 degrees due to a round head screw blocking the control lever. Maintenance visited the room while we were away, turned the air conditioning on while it was in the 20's outside, and when we returned, the room temp was about 50 degrees. All they needed to do was replace the round headed screw with a flat screw to allow the temperature adjusting mechanism to work properly. Three days... and the heat was not fixed the entire time. I give their maintenance staff a big "Zero" as far as using their brain to fix something this simple. And the front desk staff a big "Zero" for not following up after it was reported again.
For roughly $250.00 a night, I can't believe that a continental breakfast was not served.

The staff in the front was friendly.

About 20% of the sidewalk lights in the pool/springs area were not working making it occaisionally difficult to see the sidewalks at night. Be careful, it's slippery, and difficult to see.
Wash your clothes out in the sink after using the Springs/pools. I waited until I got home, and it stunk up my other clothes in the washing machine requiring a couple more washes. The minerals are very strong.

It was a nice experience to sit in the hot Springs, and 17 areas gives plenty of pools to choose from. But it's simply not worth $250.00 plus a night. No room service, not many restaurants in town, an ancient TV that turned off when we changed the channel, and the volume changed when we tried to turn it off. Reported to maintenance, and never addressed.

Overall... go for a day in the Springs... stay somewhere else.

2  Thank svanholtz

We are sorry to hear about your less than excellent experience at The Springs Resort & Spa. It means a lot to the owners and management to have feedback on our guests individual experiences. We have made updates and changes to improve our accommodations and service since your stay. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to correct our mistakes and make every future experience excellent!

Reviewed January 24, 2009

We had a great time in Pagosa Springs. There was a lot of construction on the new addition going on at the time; but, the noise was at a minimum and not disruptive at all. We had a nice room; but, it was average at best. The AC seemed to be a problem in the afternoon when it warmed up.

The spa and springs are outstanding. Located right on the river, the view is wonderful and soaking most of the morning was the first thing we did each day. You are also close to several wonderful places to eat and day trips to the mountains were something we both enjoyed.

The fishing in this area is outstanding and I was able to catch several rainbow trout right out of the river just downstream from the hotel. The river is stocked several times during the summer months.

The highlight of the trip for us was our hot air balloon ride early one morning with Wind Wranglers Balloon Co. We made our arrangements through the hotel and this was a breathtaking experience. We were a little more participatory in the make ready than we expected; but, the view of the mountains and valley from the air was an experience we will never forget.

1  Thank johna882001

Reviewed December 5, 2008

Honestly, I was apprehensive, but I LOVED IT! The rest of the town was snow-covered and COLD, but the water was nice and hot. One of my favorite things about it was the cloud of privacy (fog)! There are less expensive places, but in my opinion, this one is worth every penny! I definitely recommend it!

Reviewed November 3, 2008

Oct. 31 - Nov. 2 2008
My party spent 2 nights at the resort and stayed in 3 different rooms. We were pleasantly surprised by the "suites" Pueblo 1 and Pueblo II. These suites were nice, tastefully decorated (better than what they have pictured on their website) clean, spacious, and well stocked.

Also stayed in standard room in lower section of rooms. It was reasonable, clean enough, overall pretty basic. Staff was friendly, booking was difficult, spoke to lots of different people, got different quotes, it was a challenge (we are a large party - different arrival times with multiple accommodations needed). The web site is not easy to use, and once you get there the suite names are not used but #s are used instead... it is confusing.

Construction was not a problem during our Fri. - Saturday stay.
Springs are wonderful, nice and low key, clean, staff leaves visitors alone to relax and enjoy the lovely scenery and wonderful pools and tubs.

REMEMBER TO REMOVE YOUR SILVER JEWELRY!!! I forgot... now I have a BLACK necklace :( Robes with every room is a nice touch.

Dining out in Pagosa is a challenge. Too many Mexican joints! Check out the Black Bear (in walking distance) and has a coupon in Pagosa visitor book. It was full of locals, we ended up eating there 2x, they have good pub food, great service, BIG TV for sports.