“LOVE IT!” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Hastings, Nebraska
“LOVE IT!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2009

My husband and I love to visit Pagosa Springs--It is the best place to relax! We stayed at The Springs Resort--the rooms were nice, but not as luxurious as we were expecting, but they were buliding a new set of rooms that looked really nice.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SpringsMgmt, Public Relations Manager at The Springs Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our family owned resort hotel! It is of utmost importance to The Springs Resort & Spa to make every stay a positive experience for all of our guests. We'd like to thank you for your feedback and we hope you consider joining us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Denver, CO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2009

If you are looking to spend a good amount of time in a hot spring this hotel is probably the place to stay. The rooms are a bit dated and my wife stayed in an older section that was very dated on another visit. The staff regularly checks the temperature of the tubs and they are cleaned out every so often (new water constantly flows in and out but there is calcium build up in the tubs). The resort offers free drinks of coffee, tea, iced tea, lemonade, etc. The provided robes are very convenient and comfortable.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
We are sorry to hear about your less than excellent experience at The Springs Resort & Spa. It means a lot to the owners and management to have feedback on our guests individual experiences. We have made updates and changes to improve our accommodations and service since your stay. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to correct our mistakes and make every future experience excellent!
West, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2009

I've stayed here a few times over the years, and can echo other reviewers' gripes about the old rooms being overpriced for the level of comfort offered: I was often conflicted after getting out of the best water, relaxed and feeling good, just to lay down on a hard, uncomfortable bed for $$$ per night.

Well, here's the scoop on the new rooms: "Almost there" is how I would phrase it. Overall, I recommend staying here - but a few things need to be addressed right away. And this part is especially for management, who needs to get a clue or two.

1. The room doors don't have peepholes! This is a Hotel 101 issue, every door should have a peephole.

2. There is NO information in the rooms, none! Aside from a few bibles and a minibar price list ($$$!) there is nothing in the room. How do I get to the pools? Can I get a massage? When is check-out? What's good to eat? Nothing, nada. This, besides being a sign of poor management, is revenue just walking out the door. Really, another Hotel 101 issue. The rub here is that staff already knows this, and still management hasn't budged. It may not seem like a big deal, but you end up calling the front desk a dozen times to figure out stuff every other hotel has laid out in a handy binder.

3. The heating/AC controls were impossible! Again, with no information, had trouble figuring out how to work it. Thanks to some terrible, terrible design, the unit switches on & off randomly, and also switches from hot to cold without your help. We woke up in a pool of sweat and unable to shut the heat off. I almost tore the little piece of junk off the wall! There is no "off" switch, nor a "cool" or "heat" switch, just two buttons that are supposed to do everything - and fail miserably. If I were management, I would be chasing down the jerk that sold me the system. Terrible!

4. The doors are very, very noisy. If you like to sleep in, look elsewhere. Housekeeping gleefully slammed the heavy room doors all morning. If this property really wants to compete on the level their advertising implies, this needs to be addressed immediately.

5. The linens... not so good. With the trend in upscale bedding, The Springs dropped the ball here. While they look great, our sheets had a scratchy, flannel-like quality to them - which was increasingly irritating after a long soak. I asked for the new, fancy sheets to be swapped out for a set from the older building - problem solved! The older sheets were vastly superior to the new stuff. Kudos to housekeeping for making the switch for us (yes, I tipped).

Okay, it's expensive. Or, at least seems so on the face of things, but taking into account what you get, I still think it's a good deal. Rooms at hot springs are always spendy, can't be helped. Hot springs are a pain to maintain, and to do it right - as The Springs does - costs a ton. I look at the room rates as a subsidy to keep the springs going, and with that in mind, I didn't mind forking over the $$$.

The fire pit overlooking the Mother Spring is lovely, as are the grounds. Overall, the new building is very nice, the rooms both lavish & comfortable, but need some adjustment. I get the impression that management spent the money, but hasn't spent the time to fine tune. The new building feels like a 3-star property trying to pass as a 4-star, while a little tuning could actually make it a 4-star resort.

One more aside: new industrial carpet can cause a lot of respiratory distress for some of us, same with fresh paint. Here, the low-VOC paint & carpet really paid off - I had no problems and can recommend this place to anyone who tends to be sensitive to such things. You can breathe easy here.

Now, the springs themselves...

These, IMO, are the best pools in Colorado, along with the best water. The flow rate is high & everything is spotless. The pools are smooth, with no sharp rocks along the edge or gravel on the bottom. Each pool has a placard with the water temp. displayed. With about two dozen or so pools to choose from, you can find your perfect spot. The five new pools are excellent! Having limited 'adults only' access keeps most rowdies out. If you're not a resort guest, access to the adults only pools is an additional $5 charge. Unfortunately, despite the name, the "adult" pools are not clothing optional.

Here's where staying at the Resort pays off: When they boot out non-guests, you can soak as long as you like. 24-hour access is a huge perk, and what keeps me coming back to Pagosa. Things get very quiet, peaceful, and you can pretty much soak in your own pool if it's not peak season. Even on a Friday, there were maybe a dozen or so couples spread out across 20+ pools - can't be beat.

The pools & layout are amazing. Heated towel racks abound, along with heated handrails nearly everywhere. Another reason I come here: I've seen some really bad falls at hot springs around the state (we're talking ambulance-required bad), so I'm glad to see the property take this seriously.

The spa here is a hidden gem, looking at first like a gift shop stuck out in the parking lot - but within are true professionals that gave the best massage I've ever had - a healing and rejuvenating experience. As much as I love the pools, the massage was the highlight of my trip. My shoulders still feel relaxed, and about 10 pounds lighter.

For all my gripes above, compared to other hot springs resorts in Colorado, The Springs has come into a class of its own. It's clear some very hard-working people put in a ton of time to make The Springs Resort what it is and to maintain it. Now, just a few tweaks and they'll have it down.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank 0ceanView
Albuquerque
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2009

We stay here every couple of years when we are in the Pagosa area. First off, the hot springs are not to be missed, for both kids and adults. There are a wide variety of hot spring pools. They are developed with concrete liners. There is also a swimming pool, so when the kids get bored, they can swim in the pool awhile. The hot springs are high in sulfur, and you can smell it on yourself when you get out. I recommend you hit the swimming pool for awhile after the hot springs, and then take a shower when you get back to your room. That gets the smell out.

The new rooms are nicer than the older part of the hotel. Also, I could not smell the sulfurous odor from the hot springs in the new part of the resort. It could be fairly strong when we stayed in the older part.

The staff is great, the place is clean, and it is a good way to relax. Pagoa Springs is a nice family friendly place to spend a few days, especially if you like the outdoors. The rooms are still a bit small for the price, but all in all, I highly recommend it. If you go Labor Day weekend, they have a fun folk festival.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Fort Collins, CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2009

This hotel is the place to be if you are in Pagosa to enjoy the hot springs. Located right on the hot springs, everyone roams around in the provided robe. The deluxe building is very new and very nice. It even has it's own concierge and bar.

I thought the rooms were a bit pricey, but you get 24 hour access to the hot springs during your stay. I would stay here again on my next stay in Pagosa Springs as long as the hot springs is on the agenda.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We're glad you enjoyed the therapeutic mineral water soaking pools. We strive to be competitive to comparable natural hot spring resorts and offer all hotel guests many additional perks. We'd like to thank you for your feedback and we hope you consider joining us again!
Colorado Springs, CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2009

Some brief background information:

We booked this trip to the Springs Resort months ago as a treat for our daughter on her 16th birthday. Our party consisted of my wife and I, our two teenage daughters, and four of their friends. As a reference, my wife and I both travel quite a bit and we're aware of what passes for acceptable lodging and service, both here and abroad. For this trip, we needed a place that would offer enough variety to keep the teens happy while still providing as much relaxation for the adults as possible under these circumstances. I'd say "Mission Accomplished!"

PREPARATION: We had all been looking forward to this trip since we booked it earlier this year. As our trip got closer, my wife and I started to re-read some of the reviews online, and I have to admit that some of the newer reviews had us a bit apprehensive as our departure neared. There were several negative reviews posted, most centering on staff and accommodations. Some were for the other building, and some were for completely different hotels! Regardless, we packed up our apprehension along with our suitcases and set off for Pagosa.

CHECK-IN: We had been told in advance that check-in was at 4 PM, but if we arrived early we could use the pools. We had the kids pack their bathing suits on top of their suitcases (most chose to just wear them under their shorts) and upon arrival, we were directed to the pools to relax a bit before we checked in. A very nice way to pass the time until our suite was ready!

ACCOMMODATIONS: At 4:00, we were issued our room keys and went to the suite to check in. We left the kids to soak in the pool while my wife and I toted the luggage into the room. While we were unloading the car, we were greeted by the concierge who welcomed us and gave us a brief overview of the resort and its services. We were escorted to our suite, which not only met, but exceeded our expectations. The suite was large and tastefully decorated. There was a central living area and kitchen, with the master bedroom/bath off to the right and the second bedroom and bathroom to the left. The A/C was good - maybe TOO good - and the kitchen was spacious and fully equipped. The beds were comfortable and roomy. The master suite was very spacious and very comfortable. We thought it was a bit odd that the master BR didn't have a closet; the only closet (and safe) was located in the second bedroom. A minor oddity, but worth mentioning. Access to the pools was right out of the back door of the suite, literally a 50 foot walk.

SERVICES: In the lobby of the new building, there is a small bar (beer and wine only) and plenty of seating to read, relax, etc. The staff was friendly and competent. The concierge was very helpful in finding a nice place to take the kids to dinner, and always seemed to have a smile and a nice suggestion for things to do. When we requested an additional blanket for the pull-out bed, it was delivered promptly. Staff at the spa and pools were always there for you but not obtrusive. There were plush bathrobes in the suite for our use, and there were always fresh towels at the pools. There is a nice fountain on one end of the building, and a large fire pit on the other. It was nice to sit by the fire and have a drink or a cigar in the evening. There were complimentary juice and coffee machines in the lobby. The locker rooms in the bathhouse were nice and uncrowded, and there was a suit spinner to help dry out your swimsuit after a day in the pools - a nice touch!

ODDS & ENDS: Some random observations. . .no closet in the master BR; weird. Adults-only pool area is NICE - a good respite from the young (loud) crowd, but many pools overlook the main pool area, so you can keep tabs on things. One party in the upper area got loud one night (pretty sure alcohol WAS involved!) and was promptly removed by the staff. There's a good place for breakfast right across the bridge, but lunch and dinner seems to be better if you skip the closest places and walk (or drive) a bit further. The front door of out suite stuck a little bit and was somewhat noisy if you wanted to come in without waking anyone. Dishwasher was QUIET! The desk staff and concierges are friendly and knowledgable (as you'd expect) - don't be afraid to ask for stuff!!

Would we come back? Uh, we already reserved a suite for Christmas!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Willis, texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2009

We stay at the Sprngs every summer; but, this was the first year for the new suites. We found the new room great. Two queen beds and a pull-out couch for the youngest boy. The soaking was great as usual, the river was great for tubing for the kids. The new fire pit in the adult only area was great to go out to after kids were put to bed. The Springs is close to shopping, restaurants, tube rentals and it is hard to keep my wife out of the spa. We had a great three days. The highlight of our trip for the kids was a ride on a hot air balloon with Wind Wranglers Balloon Company. They booked our trip right there at the Springs and we took off from the park downtown, easy walking distance from the Springs. The eight year old was a little reserved about the whole hot air balloon ride at first; but, loved it after lift-off. I enjoy the fishing in the area every year. The kids really don't fish. You will have a good time when you stay at the Springs and if you go for a balloon ride, you will remember it the rest of your life.

Stayed August 2009, traveled with family