“Great hot spring experience”

The Springs Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Pagosa Springs
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Shanghai
“Great hot spring experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

Location is great right down town and within walking distance to Main Street restaurants and bars. If you are after more refined amenities opt for the Eco-luxe building as the old building is a bit dated.

Rooms are clean and the hot springs are simply wonderful and a great way to relax. The spa also offers very good massages. Staff were excellent and very friendly.

Can't think of too many better ways to relax than with watching the world go by while you relax in a hot spring with a cold Fat Tire.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
SpringsMgmt, Public Relations Manager at The Springs Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
It is of utmost importance to The Springs Resort & Spa to make every stay a positive experience for all of our guests. Thank you for your glowing review of our family-owned resort hotel and we hope you consider joining us again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
denver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed at The Springs over Fourth of July this year. The room was very nice -- we had a first-floor deluxe suite, and everything was well-kept and clean. The kitchenette was a bit small for the room, but it was fine. The sleeper sofa was uncomfortable to sit on, but that's a minor complaint. It had a big patio that bled into the yard, facing a big fountain and the river. Everything smells of sulfur, but that's what you get at a hot spring.

There were a large diversity of pools, and our kids liked going from one pool to another. If you're coming with kids, though, understand that this is a place where you sit in pools. There's a big swimming pool (Blue Lagoon with Dancing Waters as a kiddie pool) but there are no slides or diving boards, or anything kids would consider "fun." When the kids (and there were a lot of them) tried to improvise by jumping off ledges and such, they were told to stop. The other pools are much smaller and designed for lounging.

The resort location is nice -- there's a lot of dining options nearby, and the river adds another element of recreation. The pools are attractive and well-laid out and offer a good diversity in temperatures. The bar is a decent value.

There is an important caveat to this review. We stayed in as nice a room there as you could get -- more than $600 a night. I can't speak for any other aspect of the resort. Also, because the Springs are open to the public, they can get crowded -- so the clientele can be a bit more diverse than you'd expect at a high-end resort. Nothing wrong with that, but something to be aware of.

Green Features: They spend a lot of effort on their Green-ness, so if that's important to you, this is a good palce.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our family owned resort hotel! It is of utmost importance to The Springs Resort & Spa to make every stay a positive experience for all of our guests. We'd like to thank you for your feedback and we hope you consider joining us again soon!
Columbia, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

We have stayed here on several different occasions. Always a great relaxing mini-vacation. Pools are family friendly without the naked bath house, like in another hotel. Lots of different temperatures from comfortable to real hot. Rainbow trout fishing right outside the hotel property across the bridge. Highly recommended for a family trip or a romantic getaway for couples. Soak 24 hours a day unlike the other spots also.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
SpringsMgmt, Public Relations Manager at The Springs Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Thank you for your glowing review of our family-owned resort hotel. It is of utmost importance to The Springs Resort & Spa to make every stay a positive experience for all of our guests. We hope to see you again soon!
Pensacola Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

All the pictures are of the newer building - the old building is so gross it should be torn down. We booked a classic king that was $199 for the night because we were traveling with our 2 small French bulldogs and you have to select certain rooms to get a "pet friendly" room. They charge a $50 fee for pets - ironically we were told this is a "cleaning" fee, but dog hair should be the least of their worries here... - I am outraged that our disgusting 1960s outdated room cost a ridiculous $268 for 1 night with tax! It was NOTHING like the room I thought I was booking based on the pictures online - apparently this is a completely separate part of the hotel but we couldn't even pay to upgrade the room because we had our dogs with us (thinking they were pet friendly again based on what I saw online). To me this is exactly what tripadvisor is for - so you don't get tricked like this and get to hear the real truth from real people. I hope I can save someone's vacation by telling them about our how ours was ruined by this place. Again if you are able to stay in the newer part it is probably a completely different experience - but you're screwed if you are vacationing with your pets and think you'll be able to stay here comfortably.

If I had seen (or smelled or heard) this room I wouldn't have paid even $30 for the night nor would I have booked it at all. It was really that bad. This place needs to be torn down instead of trying to get people to pay the same for this room as newer rooms (by charging fees for pets). I'll try to explain some of the problems but I can't begin to describe the extent of my surprise at the poor condition of this motel and the hot springs for what they are charging. See the REAL pictures I'm posting of the so-called pet friendly "classic" room and decide for yourself if you're going to pay almost 300 for a night in that room - don't be fooled like I was.

The room stunk like wet sulfur mildew, was decorated with pink wallpaper, didn't appear to have been updated ever, the bathtub was rusted through with the tiniest showerhead I've ever seen with no water pressure, and to top it off the absolute worst was the wall mount A/C unit which sounded like a plane was about to take off all night and kept us up all night!!!! UGH!!! Also there are 2 doors - one to the parking lot and the 2nd to noisy hallway/lobby area - we could hear EVERYTHING there was no weather stripping on the doors and the lights shined right in. At almost 300 for the night, I expected what I saw pictures of - apparently the newer rooms - in fact I was so excited for this portion of our trip because of the hotel. What a disgusting disappointment when we arrived! I wanted to leave immediately but we stayed because we were so exhausted and we were stuck in the middle of nowhere land late at night after having driven from 7 hours from the earlier leg of our SW trip.

First of all the town is nasty and is out in the boonies - yards decorated with trash/cars, that type of place - I felt like we were in the movie "Wrong Turn". The Springs motel (I cannot call it a hotel its too gross) looks nice until you get there and realize you were caught in a Bait and Switch. The smell of sulfur (rotten eggs) is overwhelming immediately - this was slightly expected but I wasn't quite prepared for it to this degree of stank.

Then you get to your overpriced "Classic" room expecting a nice place - you can't stay anywhere else if you have your pets at this point (by the way the deluxe rooms are the same but with an outdated kitchen area and a $100 non-refundable pet fee!). One of the booklets in the room described how John Wayne stayed there in the 1960s and I will guarantee you that the room has not been updated since and is exactly how it was when he stayed there. The ridiculously loud AC was the worst I have EVER heard in a motel - words cannot describe how bad it was. My husband was trying to be optimistic because I was in utter despair at this point so we put our bags in the room and went to the springs to soak and relax after a very long drive.

It was about 11pm - you get 24 hour soaking privileges which would be good if you could stand it. Not only was the sulfur smell so bad, but there is mineral buildup (which looked like algae to me) everywhere and when I touched the rail to get in it was SLIMY and MUSHY !!!! UGHHHHH!!! My husband reassured me that this was just mineral deposit so I gingerly climbed in farther - the bottom of the spas were also SLIMY so I didn't even want to step anywhere in them - some of them were so murky you couldn't see in them - I was cringing the entire time it was SO gross! The water jets were either broken or clogged with junk. To top it off the 3rd one we got in had SKIN floating in it!!! I kid you not, there was SKIN floating in this hot spring - I was totally grossed out. Granted the water was 104 - 111 degrees so it makes sense that someone's skin came off, but I was personally not comfortable swimming in floating skin. YES I completely realize these are natural hot springs - and I want to mention that I have been to natural hot springs in Japan that were immaculate and clean (you couldn't even wear clothing in those hot springs because it would contaminate the natural springs) - these hot springs were so much better that you would want to soak all day in the healing waters - it didn't smell half as bad as this and it wasn't slimy. I just don't get why it is so slimy except that the water isn't filtered or cleaned like it should be. The next morning we did see several gentlemen draining the pools but that doesn't mean they're cleaning them - if they were they wouldn't be so slimy and gross.

My other complaint with our disgusting overpriced room is that there is no restaurant on site but they don't provide breakfast. On top of the $268 we spent for the night we had to walk across the bridge the next morning to go into town and spend another $25 for a bagel and a burrito - that they heated up in a microwave - at this café near the river - wasn't good wasn't bad. Maybe no one has explained to The Springs that if a hotel wants to be "first class" and not provide breakfast then they should have hotel restaurants (think Hyatt, Four Seasons, Hiltons, etc - no breakfast is included because they have restaurants inside the hotel). Also a warning, there wasn't a good place to get dinner that night either - we went to the place with the highest rating on trip advisor and it was awful - the food, the service, all of it was terrible. Everything closes at 9pm too so don't expect to eat if you get in late.

Again this was the part of our once in a lifetime SW USA trip that I thought for sure was going to be amazing, but it was utterly horrible. I couldn't wait to get out of there and take a SHOWER - and even after I got home I still just couldn't feel clean. It was horrible.

And do not under any circumstance consider this place "pet-friendly"- you have to spend way more than anyone else and stay in a gross outdated room - there is absolutely NO WHERE to walk your dog to relieve themselves (not that I think anyone would notice if they peed in that disgusting room) - I had to walk them across the parking lot to the tiniest strip of grass near a very busy road where they were scared by the road noise and one of my dogs almost got hit by a car! They charge you $50-100 no matter whether your pet was clean or dirty - so they make money whether they have to clean anything or not. There is no fee for having human children in a room.

Overall this was the WORST experience I have ever had with a hotel. It was completely unexpected and there was nothing we could do once we got there to fix it because we had our furkids with us.

My recommendation? Save yourself the money and stay at a nice hotel that has a hot tub - at least there will be a better chance that it will be clean and not have a wall A/C unit that sounds like its going to take off and keep you up all night.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Vanessa H
SpringsMgmt, Owner at The Springs Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are sorry that our Resort did not meet your expectations. The Town of Pagosa Springs is based around our prized hot springs. For hundreds of years people have been taking advantage of the therapeutic properties in the waters. One of the elements in the water is sulfate, which does have a unique smell. We apologize that this smell was unpleasant for you, but because we do not treat our waters, they are 100% all natural, we are unable to remove it. Also with natural mineral waters, there is mineral buildup - it is what forms the large tower like-springs outside our lobby. Each of our pools is cleaned twice a week. When you saw our staff draining the pools they were preparing to clean them with a pressure washer. Only a few of our pools have jets, these are maintained in our cleaning rotation. We have also created waterfalls on a number of our pools if you prefer moving water. Pagosa Springs' hot springs have minerals unique to Colorado and are different than the waters you experienced in Japan, we apologize for any confusion.

As for the price of the room, when you factor in the cost of a two day soaking pass (a $180 value for two people) the price of the room is only $38 including tax. In the southwest we utilize swamp-cooler type air conditioners. These are louder than refrigerated air, but are necessary because of our dry climate and proximity to the hot springs. Our booking engine does allow for clients to view the room type they are planning to book in advance of any payments sent to our staff.

We were delighted to see that you brought your pets along! We understand that your pets were very well trained, but we must charge a pet fee for everyone with a pet as not all animals were as lovely as yours. Our property is on 30 acres, featuring a large grassy area by the river featuring clean-up bags and a trashcan for pets to relieve themselves.

At The Springs Resort we strive to be an ecofriendly property. Everyday we work to conserve energy and water, this includes installing special shower heads, like the one in your room. We recently were named one of TripAdvisor's 2013 GreenLeader Award winners because of our conservation efforts.

We strive to meet the every need and desire of our customers, but we unfortunately can only control what happens on our property, not in the town or other restaurants.

Pagosa Springs is among a few true small towns remaining in America, the town is full of wonderful characters and unique experiences, from the World's Deepest Geothermal Hot Spring to restaurants that Oprah Winfrey has enjoyed on her former television show. We invite anyone to come and compare experiences and the uniqueness of this wonderful slice of Americana in southwestern Colorado.
San Antonio, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

I have gone (for years) to this facility, the first time when I fell off a cliff hiking at Mesa Verde Park. I was just there with a girlfriend for a three night stay. The staff (Tony and Cheyenne especially) could not have been MORE helpful with every need, question or wish. They went SO out of their way - ALL the staff - to make our stay a truly wonderful experience, that I am returning next month for a stay with my spouse. BEAUTIFUL LOCATION. My husband had great envy that I was in "Clouds in My Coffee" and "Serendipity" without him. Maybe I should travel more often with friends so I get to come twice as often.........

Room Tip: I like upstairs even though it is a little hard to climb stairs. I also like - when traveling "...