“Used to love it....”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Arvada, CO
“Used to love it....”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We've been going to Pagosa for years and I've always loved it. Until our trip in February.

We spent a weekend Sept 2012 (reviewed it positively then) and then again Feb 2013 (although that trip we stayed offsite due to the size of the group and the HIGH cost of rooms. We rented an entire house for less per night than ONE room rate would have been. We bought weekly springs passes and cost was still below what we would have spent for our group size).

Sept 2012 was extremely crowded but basically a good trip. Feb 2013 was miserable. As Pagosa has marketed more and more toward the family demographic, the pleasure of Pagosa has deteriorated exponentially. There was absolutely NO quiet, peaceful, relaxing soaking to be found. Children ran everywhere, jumping in pools, splashing, and generally not respectful of the relaxation of others. There were even children doing HANDSTANDS in the Columbine Pool.

I realize this was a holiday weekend and families were taking advantage of the days off school. I also realize that the children inherently are not the issue, but their behavior falls to the parents. The new over 18 section of pools is a great idea, but it is NOT well enforced as there were children there as well. A side note, the over 18 section was, at least the last two times I’ve been there in the last year, the party/drinkers section of the resort – also not very quiet and certainly not calm. At times it is like a frat party, complete with guest supplied music and dancing. There was even a couple in the Summer Breeze pool eating fried chicken and downing numerous beers. They also set up their iPod and external speakers to blast music to complete their picnic.

I remember being at Pagosa when there were only a few wooden hot tubs on the deck behind the Overlook, Sunset Social Club and Tranquility pools. That was it. I was told, as a parent of small children, that Pagosa was not really meant for kids. I assured the staff then that I would carefully control my children. I was informed that if the kids were a disruption to ANYONE, we would be removed from the pools.

It is certainly different now.

Spent Memorial Day weekend at Ojo Caliente, New Mexico -- it was peaceful, quiet, and calm. There is ONE pool there that children under 14 can swim in. All the others are 14 and older unless a child is with an adult in the rented PRIVATE soaking pools. What a difference. Ojo staff regularly wander the grounds with “Whisper Zone” signs and remove patrons that are not adhering to hot spring etiquette. This is what hot springs are meant to be – a time to unwind, relax, soak, find peace. That is no longer a possibility at Pagosa anymore.

I don’t think it would be possible or logical for Pagosa to “outlaw” children. I do think that there needs to be either more areas that are off limits to kids or that the Pagosa staff needs to better police the pools. If kids are wanting to splash and do handstands, they should be moved to the large swimming pool. I don’t understand why, when an alternative exists for water play, people are allowed to play in the soaking pools. I also think the “party atmosphere” of the 18+ area needs to be addressed.

Pagosa's website touts relaxation, quiet and strict rules involving no water play.

What a different experience you get now.

Perhaps the most disappointing was the total lack of customer service. I discussed the chaotic experience with one of the pool office staff. He listened, but had no response. I emailed the management when we returned home. NO RESPONSE at all, not even to acknowledge receipt of the email.

At this point, our next hot springs trip will be to Ojo, Orvis (Ouray), Cottonwood Hot Springs (Buena Vista), Hot Sulphur Springs, all of which also limit children’s access to and behavior in the soaking pools. My point being, there are a lot of alternatives. Pagosa used to my our top choice. We were even willing to pay the higher rates at Pagosa for the advantage of so many more soaking options. Not anymore. I can’t see paying the substantially higher rates for the substantially lower experience. It’s sad to see a favorite place where we have gone for years be crossed off our list.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank TravelerLY
SpringsMgmt, Public Relations Manager at The Springs Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for letting us know about your issues at our hotel. It is regretful that your February trip with us was not what you hoped it would be. Our pools are a destination for people of all ages, and popular for families with children during vacation seasons. Since your review we have retrained our staff and implemented new policies for the upper pools - we now have someone on staff who's sole job is to serve drinks and monitor the pools to ensure it remains a quiet area and that only Adults (18+) are in the area. Additionally, we have posted new signs that indicate which of our regular pools are quiet pools. Our staff now works with parents to ensure that playful children hang out in the Blue Lagoon mineral water lap pool. We are also in the process of hiring a security guard to monitor these situations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Oxford, Mississippi
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We were fortunate to be assisted by Carla, one of the managers at this resort. Our accommodations were lovely and convenient, as a result of her initiative. She could not have been more professional.

It is hot in Pagosa during the summer afternoons. The springs are hot. In the summer, wait until 8:30 pm, get in the springs, and watch the moon and the stars come out

Green Features: A priority for this resort. Heated and cooled by geothermal systems.
Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank John D
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed June 10, 2013

My wife, two kids [1 and 2yrs, 9mo] stayed here May 9, 2013, on our way to the 12 Hours of Mesa Verde mountain bike race in Cortez. We opted for what I think was called the deluxe suite [mainly because we really like to have a separate bedroom for the babies when traveling] and weren't disappointed.

It did strike me as a little pricey, even for being right at the resort and being a 2-bedroom suite [we paid $300 for the single night], but Pagosa's pretty far from the next decent-sized town and it is very convenient to be able to enjoy the pools so easily. As a guest of the hotel, your passes are included and it allows you to access the pools 24 hours a day- normal passes expire at 11PM, if I remember correctly.

The room was nice and the service was outstanding. There were robes for everyone [even the kids] and the room was clean, spacious, and had a good vibe. We were on the second floor and could look right out our window towards the river and see, just below, on the resort grounds, the 1000' plus-deep 'mother spring' pool where all the other springs come from. Pretty cool.

The only dings for the room I noted were that in one room, the heater/AC vent was loose in the wall and pulling out a bit. It happened to be at kid-grabbing level, so I noticed right away and, had I not, a young person could've yanked a pokey screw from it and that's not good. Also, the TV was on the small side- I don't think it was even 32”, though for us it wasn't an issue as we didn't really use it.

We would definitely stay here again if we weren't concerned with cost and if we didn't need a room with separate bedrooms. If we were concerned with cost or didn't need the extra rooms, we'd probably stay across the street, at the Oak Ridge Lodge. Our mothers were traveling with us and stayed there- friendly folks, good breakfast, and nice rooms, too.

1 Thank IJSociety
Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States
Reviewed June 10, 2013

My husband booked us a room in what I guess is the newer hotel rooms. I thought it was very nice and very clean. The staff was friendly and very helpful. It was our anniversary and it was worth it. The springs and views are magnificent. I'm trying to convince the husband to bring me back this year!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michelle G
Abernathy, Texas, United States
Reviewed June 7, 2013

While this is a wonderful place in the mountains and the hot springs relaxing,I think the hotel room we stayed in was less than worth the 189.00 we paid( older motel style rooms)My biggest complaint was the air conditioner did not cool the room ( and noisy)and no refrig in the room.It was to late in the nite to complain and I was trying to avoid stress, we finally had to open windows to get it to cool off in room. The rooms were nice and clean and that's a plus.Another thing is I'm not a fan of 11:00 am checkout times, I feel rushed and it just so happens we were loading right at 11:00 and the maid was knocking on our door to scoot us out...ugh. This was our 2nd time to stay there and staff has always been nice a helpful. I think we will stay somewhere else next time and pay a entrance fee to the springs.they need to correct air conditioner issues. I see from other reviews its a issue.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Amy K
SpringsMgmt, Public Relations Manager at The Springs Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
We are sorry to hear about your less than excellent experience at The Springs Resort & Spa. It means a lot to the owners and management to have feedback on the areas where we can improve our accommodations and service. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to correct our mistakes and make every future experience excellent!
Lakewood, CO
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I have stayed at the Springs Resort and Spa in the past, and was pleased with the whole experience of the lovely hotel room, and the private and unlimited access to the hot springs pools. But this time I was given a room in the motel-like part of the resort, and the experience was very different. We were treated well by the front desk personnel, and walking into the hot springs area whenever we wanted is indeed a perk of being a guest there, but the rooms in this older part of the resort are average at best. The room was pretty small, the air conditioner was loud, the TV was extremely small, the bathrooom could use as upgrade (the door wouldn't close all the way and the shower drained very very slowly), and the beds were so-so. I'm giving my experience a very good rating on the basis of access to the hot springs pools, but I expected a better room for $199 plus tax.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money on a room in the newer buildings -- the older, motel-like building isn't w...