“Pros and Cons”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Pros and Cons”
Reviewed March 17, 2012 via mobile

My wife, teenage son, and I spent three nights in mid-March at The Springs.

We took the advice of other reviewers, I reserved a room in the newer building (#2). We paid much higher rates than are being shown on Trip Adviser today. It hurts to see the price difference I paid because I reserved my room in January.

Pros
- Nice size room that was clean and included a minimal kitchenette. Quiet room with a bay window that pointed towards one of the several mountain ranges in the area.
- The layout of the spring-fed tubs was better than anything I've ever seen. 15-20 tubs and one L shaped pool where each water feature had a different temperature that ranged from 85-113 degrees. They also carved out three areas in the San Juan river that combined the 41 degree river water with hot spring water. Very clean areas that are well maintained. Hotel guests have 24x7 access to the pools.
- An hour from Durango and 30 minutes from the Wolf Creek ski area. Route 550 from Durango to Silverton has some of the best mountain scenery that I've experienced in 30 years of living in the West.

Cons
- For nearly $300 per night we severely overpaid for what we got.
- The room had the old-style CRT TV with poor picture quality.
- The WIFI connection was strong but the hotel has purchased far too little bandwidth. Download speeds bottomed out at .02Mbps triggering memories of dial up performance. It was unusable until late at night when most of the guests had disconnected.
- The tap water tastes bad, so we ended up drinking a lot of bottled water. The hotel sells bottled drinks in the lobby and has a hot drink device that works well, but there is no breakfast except for a few sweet rolls that they make you pay 3-4.50 for. No vending machines on the premises.
- Located in lower Pagosa Springs, so the nearest grocery store is 5 miles west in upper Pagosa Springs. Lower Pagosa Springs offers very limited shopping, and the downtown area is unsitely.
- No onsite work out facilities, but they do have a deal with a health club that's three blocks away.
- No onsite restaurant.

I know my complaints are petty, but for $300 a night in a small town, I expected mores services than they provide. If I were to do it over, I would have stayed at one of the other hotels and then spent $22 ($44 for a whole day) to use the springs.

As always, Caveat Emptor!

- Friendly and accommodating staff.

Stayed March 2012
5 Thank McKnees
AubreyJean, Manager at The Springs Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
We are sorry to hear about your less than excellent experience at The Springs Resort & Spa and would like to address your concerns. Please contact us at management@pagosasprings.com so we can speak about the details of your stay with us. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to correct our mistakes and make every future experience excellent!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed March 14, 2012

I got a chance to stay here on my last business trip. It was a very nice room and had all the ammenities. They think of everything and the 24 hour access to the hot springs pools makes this a great place to visiti for a night or a long weekend.

I got checked in quickly and the concierge was helpful, the room was spacious, WiFi worked great, they had plenty of towels and robes to use at the springs. Bed was comfortable and having a kitchenette was a plus as well.
Everything was within a 50 yard walk. Even most restaurants were in walking distance < 1mile.

They had coffee available early in the morning - which for me is a huge plus - and you could access the pools for an early morning dip. People at the resort were helpful and friendly. It's a place I would take my kids to.

Many of the hotels I stay in cost less than $75. This was a rare time that I spent more than that - but it was well worth it - especially after a long week of working and driving. I will stay here next time, you get your money's worth at this place.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed March 12, 2012

Well this is my third visit to The Springs Resort. The first time was before they built any addition. Well I looked online to book this and like I usually do I booked the cheapest room. When I got there, front desk asked if I wanted to upgrade for a modest fee per day to a different building, I said no. HUGE MISTAKE. I forgot how old the old section is. I couldn't change the heat in the room because it is part of the geothermal stuff. Its old, walls are paper thin, and just isn't worth it for the price. HOWEVER, the fact that you have 24/7 access to the hot springs changes things. You can walk from your room to the hot springs almost entirely without having to go outside. It is what it is, you get what you paid for, I would return, but I think they need to start a remodel in the old area.

Room Tip: Opt for the upgrade out of the older building, which is the building on the south side attached to t...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chris G
Reviewed February 29, 2012

The Springs Resort located in Beautiful Pagosa Springs Colorado is home of a Natural Hot Spring that is very soothing to your mind, body, and soul! After an enjoyable day of Skiing "Wolf Creek Ski Lodge" our entire family of four enjoy nothing better than getting to relax in the Natural Hot Springs! They have a variety of sizes and temperature ranges to meet the expectations of even those "hardest to please"! We have been coming to the springs every year since 2002'. Accommodations are priced at various levels to better custom fit the needs of travelers and you even get 24 hour access to the Springs! One year we tried staying in a "cheaper" local hotel and driving over to the Springs Resort. What a mistake! Hotel ran out of hot water every morning and we missed the convenience of walking out our door and sliding into the Springs! Besides the ride back to the "Cheap" hotel made the car seats frozen for the next morning! Stay at the Springs Resort and pamper yourself like no other place can!

Room Tip: We found that the newest addition "Luxury Suites Hotel" is not as ski friendly as the othe...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank doctimw
Aurora, Colorado
Reviewed February 27, 2012

We stayed at the deluxe rooms and were very disappointed. The rooms are outdated, there is no room service. The heater was loud and that reflected on the poor sleep quality during our stay. The towels for the bedrooms are limited in quantity and the staff told us to use the pool towels which are worn and small.
The scenery is great, very tranquil and relaxing. We had direct access to the pools 24 hours but never took advantage of that since one can only take so much soaking. All in all we believed that the stay was overpriced since the services are lacking.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank FA R
Hinesville, Georgia
Reviewed February 19, 2012

We planned our romance package which was not to our liking at all. The room was very cheap worse than a motel 6 for 950 dollars for 2 nights we expected something elegant. The massages that come with the package were definitely not anything to brag about we have had better massages for 10 bucks. The champagne was cheap and warm when we got there. The rose bubble bath that comes with the package was just a cheap 5 dollar boxed roses the hotel could have at least had a private bath or jacuzzi for this package and price. The bath robes were cheap and worn out. If we ever go back there we would definitely stay at one of the neighboring hotels. and get a 22 dollar pass for the hot springs.

Room Tip: Dont stay at the resort.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BetoYAnna1026
germany
Reviewed February 12, 2012

the springs resort is in pagosa springs, southern colorado. it is a fine hotel with direct nonstop access to the hot springs with more than 15 whirlpool sized pools. it is situated in a very calm area, so everybody can relax and enjoy the beautiful scenery.

Stayed February 2012, traveled with family