“Eclectic, Casual, Order and Seat Yourself Kinda Place”

The Buck Stops Here
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Reviewed June 28, 2014

If you are looking for a romantic fine dining kind of place, this is not it. If you are looking for high quality, good portions and properly prepared food, this IS the place.

You have probably never walked into a meat market, bar, restaurant kind of place before. If you have, this is one of those unusual places. It is not fancy. There are cafe type tables inside and a few iron tables and chairs outside. Though it is a meat market, there is no smell or odor associated with this establishment.

You walk up to the order counter, once you can find it, place your order from burger to expensive meat cut (everything is a la carte) and then pick a seat. You can sit outside, though it is simply a parking lot setting, at the bar or in the several table cafe area. They will bring your order when it is ready.

This is not fast food. They start every order from scratch. It is worth the wait. You will pay more than for fast food, but the price/quality is a good value. Atmosphere - average to slightly below. Food, choices - incredibly eclectic and great variety.

Happy hour is 3-5, prime rib Specials from 3 PM on Saturday, generally there is a dinner special. I had the pastrami sandwich for lunch and returned for the prime rib for diner.

1  Thank Hiddenshutter

Reviewed June 4, 2014

We drove around awhile looking for something that "floated our boat" or that caught our eye. We passed by this place couple times. Finally hubby says,"You pick." I did. Not crazy abt the name. However, my Mediterranean sandwich with avocados was pretty good. Hubby's Tri Tip Sandwich was good too. We also liked the selection of meats available for purchase. I mean elk?! Yum! There wasn't any elk burgers in singular pkgs so Tom (I think his name)found one for me!I mean, hubby bought Denver cut steak and wouldn't eat an elk burger so we only wanted 1. We just now cooked both on grill - absolutely loved mine!Wish I would have bought more. Hubby said Denver cut was good, just not as tender as filet. All in all, next time we are in this area we will come back.Gave it a "poor" for romance - its not meant to be.

1  Thank Jacki C
Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

Best hamburgers ever!!!! I'm coming back to pagosa just for this. And can't beat the selection of meats behind the counter. Just awesome

Reviewed March 10, 2014

You can pick out your steak, chicken or other meat and they will cook it with your sides. The ribeye I had ordered was great, my wife ordered a chicken breast that was thick, fully cooked but little seasoning, it was bland. We ordered drinks but had to remind the waiter to bring them. If you like a flame kissed steak this is a good place to get one. However Boss Hogs is as good and half the price.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

Went for dinner. You can order from the menu or you can go to the meat case and pick out your steak. I picked out an awesome rib eye and some shrimp. Our friends had the ribs (smoked and fall off the bone and juicy). The Cream of Crab soup is amazing.

Went back last week and had the smoked chicken wings (that were finished on the grill) at the bar.
As for the review that mentioned deer meat, they do have elk and buffalo every day.

Very neat atmosphere, with different approach to dinning in Pagosa.