We spent 3 nights in one of the small cabins, and got a great rate since it was off-season. We have stayed in the Lodge rooms before, and they are perfectly nice and clean but this time we decided to try one of the cabins. We had a large studio with a stone fireplace, two queen beds, a bathroom with shower, a kitchenette and dining area plus a small private deck with deck chairs. We were very comfortable, and the price was great. The staff were all extremely friendly and helpful. We rented a DVD player (free) and watched a movie one night. The location is right outside of Pagosa Springs, in the "woods," though along the highway. Yes, the highway noise was a bit loud, but since the road goes up to Wolf Creek Pass, we found most of the traffic died after dark and did not bother our sleeping at all.
Only a couple of criticisms -- the kitchenette has a microwave, fridge and two burners, but no oven, so no heating up a frozen pizza. The San Juan Roadhouse, which advertises as being open year-round was "closed for mud season," which was quite a disappointment. Also, the cabins do not have a/c and they get quite warm from the mountain sun during the daytime -- even though they cool off at night. I think they would be too warm for summertime use without a/c.
We have stayed at the Lodge many times through the years and always find it clean, comfortable and reasonably priced. I also like the woodsy location, despite the highway noise. I was very happy to learn that new owners are planning some upgrades, and we saw lots of annual maintenance being done to keep the place looking great. Overall, this is a great place for a family -- with a kid's playground, lots of grass, and even a fishing pond. We will certainly be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- High Country Lodge consists of 22 lodge rooms & 10 cabins with wood burning stoves & fireplaces on 15 wooded acres, a wildlife viewing pond and a snow tubing park in the winter. Your stay at the High Country Lodge includes: a full hot breakfast, 3 hot tubs and a sauna, a playground area, BBQ grills, horseshoe pits, free WiFi , cable TV w/HBO and in room DVD player. We are located 2.5 miles east of Pagosa Springs on Hwy 160. We are the closest lodge to Wolf Creek Ski Area. We look forward to having you as our guests! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your High Country Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- High Country Lodge Motel And Cabins
- High Country Lodge Motel & Cabins Hotel Pagosa Springs