“Policy for disruptive guests?”

Overlook Hot Springs Spa
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I went Saturday morning of Labor Day weekend. I enjoyed the soaking and a message. I really enjoy the option to enjoy the mineral waters without being exposed to the sun. I did feel as if I was over run by a large group that came in to the inside soaking area and was very loud and disrupted the ambiance. The lady at the front desk advised me on my way out the most quiet time is when they open. I felt as if it is the staffs responsibility to conserve the ambiance and remind guests of the relaxing atmosphere when necessary. I do want to go back however if you want a relaxing quiet atmosphere I would not recommend going any other time except first thing in the morning. Also if a quiet relaxing atmosphere is important to you I would ask the staff what their policy is pertaining to loud guests before paying admission. My only concern with the facilities were that the steam shower was not working and the cold plunge pool had a slimy film on the walls and floor of the pool.

1  Thank notimeranch
Jeff G, Owner at Overlook Hot Springs Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Dear NotimeRanch,
Thanks for your review of the Overlook. I apologize for not getting you the service and ambience that you read about (and expected) here on TripAdvisor. I knew when you said you were here Saturday of Labor Day weekend that it would reflect how really, really busy we are on that weekend.

That Saturday is one of our top ten busiest days of the year because of the Pagosa Folk & Bluegrass Festival. I 'm a musician and a very proud supporter of this 3-day music festival. Unfortunately for you, the town population triples over that weekend. In addition we provide free soaking passes for a 100 plus musicians and discounted soaking passes and hot showers for the 3000 plus attendees at the Festival. (The Overlook also host's live impromptu music Jam sessions during festival weekend too!) Very, Very busy so it's hard for us to maintain our regular ambiance during that weekend. ( I wish you had requested that our Front -Desk staff speak to the disruptive guests and we would've immediately said something to them)
Honestly Notimeranch, as we continue to be big supporters of Pagosa Folk & Bluegrass Festival, I don't ever see Labor Day weekend ever being as relaxing as most of our TripAdvisor reviews suggest.

I apologize for the the Steam shower being out of order. Parts have been on order for 2 weeks. Also, in the cold plunge we try to use cooled mineral water instead of chlorinated tap water. That water has very high dissolved solids & minerals in it and those minerals will cling to the wall of the tub making it sometimes slick to the touch.

I hope you'll visit the Overlook on a non-holiday weekend get a true Overlook experience. Thanks again for your review because our customers are the ones who help define what good service is here at Overlook Hot Springs.

Jeff

"needed anything"
"sell beer and wine"
"woman working"
in 2 reviews
"overlooking the san juan river"
"healing waters"
in 8 reviews
"views of the mountains"
"shampoo and conditioner"
"changing area"
in 3 reviews
"staff was very friendly and helpful"

Reviewed August 22, 2013

We spent a few hours at the Overlook Hot Springs after reading the reviews. We were not disappointed. The price is about a 1/3 of the better known facility. The water is drawn from the same place. And, the pools are at different temperatures to pick and choose. More importantly, we avoided the crowds.

1  Thank BruceSpiegel
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Everything from booking our appointment to our in-house service was extremely pleasant. Facilities are nice with multiple mineral springs tubs. My wife and I booked massages which were affordable and high quality. We also took advantage of the private tub; very romantic option if you're up for it. Overall, we were very satisfied with our experience.

Also, I've have also visited the Hot Springs across the street many years ago. The Overlook provides a much more private, relaxing option.

3  Thank T-cells
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Very relaxing. Ahhhhhhh, we really enjoyed this spa. The owner was very friendly and the facilities were very clean. We sat in the hot springs in the roof and looked out over the town at night. Nice view and the water felt so good. We also tried out one in the inside and used the showers and locker rooms. Everything was so nice and a great value. We would love to go back!

See more reviews
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We reserved a private tub room and felt like it would be worth the price. The other reviews indicated that this was the place to go for some relaxation and to avoid the kids at the other hotel springs. The attendant was nice and escorted us to our room where we started to enjoy the springs. That is where the circus began. A group of 10 year old girls and their "parents" who had no control of them came in and started screaming and doing cannonballs in the tubs. This was adjacent to our "private" room. After about thirty minutes of constant screaming, we finally asked the attendant to do her job and intervene which she eventually did. Keep in mind that the front desk is 20 feet from where this was going on so it was really unnecessary to call this to her attention The party moved up to the roof and now at least all we had to hear was the foot steps running back and forth.
Bottom line, the springs felt nice but it was anything from relaxing. I am just thankful that we did not get massages because the massage room was even closer than we were. The owner of this place had gone to the trouble of piping in relaxing music, provided nice showers, and a decent facility. At the end of the day, a lack of management will keep me from ever returning. I would not spend a dime here again and would not recommend it to anyone. There are too many other nice places to patronize with proper "oversight".

5  Thank JonTx
Jeff G, Owner at Overlook Hot Springs Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Dear JonTx,
I wanted to apologize for the poor quality of your private tub room experience. You read our reviews here on TripAdvisor and you certainly didn't get the type of service that you read about or expected. That's unacceptable .... to you ....and to us.
I talked to Jessie and she was very sorry she was unable to quiet those rude, noisy kids. When she insisted the Mom control them her " shushing and scolding" was even louder than the kids. Yikes! Still, our problem should not become yours.

We should have immediately offered you another complimentary private tub room or refunded your money on the spot. (My employees are empowered to " make it right" with my customers but we failed in providing you with the service you paid for. ) I'd like to offer you and your family a complimentary Q U I E T private tub room the next time you are in Pagosa Springs, or a complete refund. We take our 4.5 service rating very seriously strive to maintain it. I do hope that you'll give us a second chance for first class service here at the Overlook.
Happy Soaking,