“Great way to see the local wildlife up close!”

Rocky Mountain Wildlife Park
San Antonio, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great way to see the local wildlife up close!”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We went on a weekday at the 2 pm feeding time, and had the place nearly all to ourselves. The lady giving the tour/feeding the animals was very patient with our children as well. It was fun to see a grizzly, coyote, wolves, and even a mountain lion up close. Rabbits run all over the place, and even the elk shares his food with them. The kids were given some food to feed the sheep and goats, and the rabbits would eat it out of their hands. Overall a fun experience, and worth the money.

Takes 1-2 hours. Quick 15 minute drive from Pagosa Springs.

Also, be aware, they also do hunting expeditions (not of the captives, of course!), and have stuffed animals and even sell fox and rabbit furs. This didn't bother us, but may offend some.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank thethiers

Rio Rancho
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Don't Miss Feeding Time”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

This is a very small animal refuge. These animals are not able to be set free in the wild. You will see coyotes, grizzly bear, wolf-dogs, a porcupine, goats, sheep , lambs, elk, bobcat, donkey, turkeys, and a bearded dragon (lizard). They also have cats and what I found to be unbelievable is that the cat, Ursela, actually takes you around to all the animals. She leads the way then waits while you look at the animals then she leads you to the next animal. She does this for the whole tour. The park offers free coffee, hot tea and hot chocolate. If you go during feeding time, the feeder takes you to each animal and explains why the animals were brought to the prk, tells you and shows you what they eat and she tells you about the animals. It is a great park, but it is even better if you go during feeding time. 2:30 during winter hours. Please leave a donation!!!

Visited January 2013
5 Thank steeler1mws
Santa Clara Pueblo
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fun for the Family”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

It was a very exciting tour. By tour I mean when feeding time had come. my advise on when to go is....when feeding time happens. I think feeding time is at 2pm but recheck first.. The animals come close and the feeder and the feeder gives information and a tour at no extra cost. Be sure to tip the host as it is worth it. Also they have strollers available to use while there and the gift shop is really cool. the owners Dick and Vimmie Ray are very HOSPITAL people and very GENUINE. A must see and very affordable. -The HarvieR's- :)

Visited June 2012
1 Thank HarvieR
Montrose, Colorado
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Loved it and I hope to visit again!”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

This is a wonderful place and the people who work there are so friendly! The lady at the front desk was so sweet and I felt very welcome there.
I had so much fun looking at the beautiful animals and taking pictures.I went on the feeding tour which took place at 4pm.The tour guide was very nice and she knew what she was doing. She was very helpful and told us some interesting information about all of the animals.
I went in October when it was quiet and there was only a small group of people on the tour.That was perfect because I dislike large and noisy crowds of people.
After the tour,I had a nice chat with the tour guide.She was so much fun to talk to and I wanted to talk to her longer,but I knew she had things to do. She said I could go around by myself and take pictures of the animals.I was very excited! I went around to see the animals again and had a blast taking pictures and visiting without a bunch of people being in the way.
I had a wonderful experience with the people who work there and the animals. I hope to visit more often!

Visited October 2012
3 Thank excalichick
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“fun experience with a small wildlife refuge”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We visited the small wildlife refuge one weekday before and during feeding time. There were not tons of people, which was nice, so we could spend as much time as we wanted with each animal. The area was well managed and pretty accessible for those without a handicap. The animal feeder was knowledgable and personable. The facilities were not that impressive, but I prefer that -- a more "natural" setting.

The price was fair for what we got, in my opinion.

Visited August 2012