“MOST BEAUTIFUL PLACE” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bruce Spruce Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pagosa Springs
Bruce Spruce Ranch
TULSA
“MOST BEAUTIFUL PLACE”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

I see peoples complaints on here and I had to comment. No this is a Holiday Inn, but most people who stay at Bruce Spruce do not come here for the modern comforts of home. Its all about rest and relaxation, no TV & no Phones. (there is WIFI now), cold running water in cabins...BUT this is one of the most beautiful places in the world I have ever been. This place is great for making family memories and life-long friends. The owners are great and helpful. I only wish I could go here every year! I have been going here since 1983 and the cabins are still wonderful..Enjoy!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank BECKMOM

Couples
Business
Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

Took the grandkids here for a one night stay. Had stayed here years ago, and contrary to other reviewers, it's still the same. The staff / owners were nice and helpful. Didn't not tell us what we could and could not do.

We had the Wigwam cabin. It was very large - 2 bedrooms with a little bathroom (toilet only). Showers and sinks are in the Washhouse. The beds were very comfortable - plenty of blankets/comforters on them. You do need them at night in the fall. The wood stove worked great - in fact, got a little bit too warm.

The kitchen had all the utensils - plates, cutlery, pans, etc - even some odd things which I don't even have in my kitchen.

The grounds were nicely kept up, and there is plenty of walking and hiking area around the forest. There is a stream area and also the San Juan River nearby. Also, a lake/pond where one of the kids went in (COLD)....

It's quiet - no TVS, phones - and no cell service. It's about 10 to 15 minutes to Pagosa Springs where they have restaurants and a City Market (in case you forgot something).

...If it's a 5-star hotel you want, this is not the place --- but make sure you stop here if you want to enjoy the peace and quiet of the beautiful Colorado Mtns!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank KUMtngal
Kansas City, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

Our family recently stayed for 4 days at the Bruce Spruce Ranch. This was our fourth visit to the Ranch in 20 years. Our previous three visits were lovely, and our interactions with the owners equally so.

This trip? Not so much. The Ranch is now being run by the third generation of the owner's family, and you can tell their heart is not in it at all. On check-in, we were not ONCE greeted warmly with a "welcome" or a "we hope you enjoy your stay". Rather, it was a litany of "don't do this, don't do that" from the woman working in the office. She made us feel as though we were nothing but a nuisance to her the entire time we were there.

We stayed in the largest cabin (Faris House) which was advertised to sleep 31 people. We were informed that we needed to bring our own towels and washcloths, but that bedding was provided.

When we arrived we found that the four futons had no bed linens and when we mentioned this to the office we were quite rudely informed that we were supposed to have brought our own. This was definitely not told to us when we made reservations. After a bit of argument, bed linens were provided for these beds although we were told that we should have had to pay for the extra linens.

The cabin is advertised to be "modern" according to their website and advertisements, but I can assure you this place has not been even remotely updated in the last 20 years. I can say this with confidence since we were actually here 20 years ago. The house is dingy and dirty. The shower heads are awful, spraying a fine mist of water for you to attempt to bathe under. One of the bathroom doors doesn't close all the way, which can make for an awkward situation when you have 20+ people trying to do their business in the house throughout the day. The washer and dryer are SO loud and sound as if they will surely break at any second. Neither works efficiently.

The property in general is not as well kept as it used to be, which is just unfortunate, because it is a beautiful area of Colorado. This facility used to be a wonderful place to stay -- obviously, since we came back three more times after our initial visit. I can say with confidence that this visit will absolutely be our last.

One positive note: Chris (the grandson of the original owner) was SO friendly and SO helpful. He helped us figure out some great hiking spots and was eager to tell us about the best places to see great scenery. Thank you Chris.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank alliesun98
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

Okay, I was driving back from Tuscon (Ritz Carlton) and was about to go over wolf creek pass when I saw a sign to my left, barely. As it was late and I was getting tired I did a quick U-Turn and headed down the dirt road a bit. I turned into the complex to see a series of small cabins in a U shape, well spaced out. I got out of my car, walked into the office/lodge, which is also the owners home, to find 3 generations of family members chatting away. Pretty cool. I asked how much for a cabin, she guessed a number, and I said fine (I think it about $60). As I was checking in she said No internet, No telephone, No TV.... I smiled. A long way from the Ritz, that's for sure.

I went to my cabin, small and tidy. Clean? um...the sheets were, but the blanket had stains on it...I don't want to even think about where what they were. I'm flexible, this was DISGUSTING. There was a wood fired stove for heat (plenty of wood), a comfy bed, and quiet. Overall it was great. If you're a guy you're okay. I don't think I'd bring my family here though.

Quiet, rustic, in the middle of the woods, stream nearby, plenty of wood dry and easy to light, fireplace and outside fire for each unit. This is clearly for fishermen and hunters, or wandering people like me. I'd stay here again...

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
#8 of 15 in Pagosa Springs
Foothills Lodge & Cabins
Foothills Lodge & Cabins
#1 of 3 in South Fork

Been to Bruce Spruce Ranch? Share your experiences!