“Petereric what an amazing place”
Review of Canyon Crest Lodge

Canyon Crest Lodge
Reviewed July 20, 2012

one of the most wonderful places i have stayed in for along time, a superb host with an exiting array of meals. The air conditioning was excellent as long as you do not tamper with it as like all things can go wrong if you don't know what your doing. Thank you for a wonderful time,and it was wonderful meeting so many other satisfied guests.We will be visiting again.
As a bed and breakfast it has to be tops.

Room Tip: All rooms have plenty of space with lovely views and done with an English style.
1  Thank petereric

Reviewed July 20, 2012

We absolutely enjoyed our stay at Canyon Crest. My family and Grandparents-9 total stayed over a long weekend May 18-20. The grounds were spectacular, our host Val, was exceptional. our large party of children and adults were very comfortable and continue to talk about this adventure for many weeks. We have only stayed at a few B&B's but this one by far is the best. We look forward to returning in the future.

Room Tip: All rooms are good
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Graham H
Reviewed July 16, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at Canyon Crest and it was wonderful! It is off the beaten path but not so far from town that it is time consuming to go out. The rooms are spacious and comfortable and the views are spectacular! We saw deer and wild turkeys on the property! Our room opened on to a large deck that stretches across the back of the lodge and we had a view of Chimney Rock. We slept with the door open and enjoyed the cool breezes and fabulous pine aroma in the morning. Valerie and Ron are lovely people and make you feel at home right away. The entire lodge is very comfortable and inviting. We wish we could have stayed longer. We highly recommend this B&B !

1  Thank Suzi M
Reviewed July 14, 2012

My wife and I have never stayed at a lovelier place during our vacations: the view out our balcony was beautiful, the room was gorgeous, the house was a relaxing place to curl up and read, and every morning invited walks in the beatiful surroundings. Valerie was an incredibly welcoming hostess, but we had all the time we needed to ourselves for exploring, hiking, or just enjoying a glass of wine on the porch. A great experience and a great value- I can't wait for another opportunity to visit southwest Colorodo, with Canyon Crest definitely on our agenda!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank J0hnA51
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We stayed June 23/24 2012
First of all I agree completely with Jan117Baragar's view so I won't repeat it much. To begin with remember this is a bed and breakfast ran by the owner Valerie and not a hotel. If you never been to a bed and breakfast it is more like being a guest in someone's home than being a customer at a hotel. No shoes inside BTW!!

The view is awesome!!!...you are right on the edge of a cliff/canyon with privacy. It is a gravel/dirt road ride to the house.There are no visible neighbors other than a few deer/bucks. There is wifi but no TV. The house is huge with very large rooms and large bathrooms as well. Nice gardens, a gazebo, rocking swings, decks, stage area outside. The furniture and art is not cheaply done. It is of high quality and of old world style. I wish i could submit pictures of the inside but none do it justice since the lighting inside is difficult to work with. The living room and dining area is spacious with a wooden deck that's large enough to have a party. If I could afford it, it would be an awesome/perfect place to have a family reunion.

I would have given it 5 stars but the AC really needs to be available from spring on. I have to have it cold when I sleep. The AC doesn't need to be available to meet the manager's needs/desire but for that of the customer. This is our vacations where we should be made as comfortable as possible. I have lived in Europe and the philosophy about when to use AC is different in the states. I understand where Valerie is coming from on the issue but my vacation isn't where I want to make the debate.

If you don't need AC before july 4th and you don't need TV, this is an awesome place to get away and relax. Well worth the money. A hidden gem. I would have paid %50 more for the same accommodations.

Room Tip: We got the Bridal Suite which has very larg deck....Very nice. We looked in the other rooms and they...
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We stayed the weekend of June 2-4 for our 24th anniversary. The view from our room was beautiful we were able to see Chimney Rock in the distance. The flower gardens were very nice as well. We had the smallest room of the lodge and when we looked at the others, they were much more spacious. The dining area was beautiful and very spacious and beautiful. When we went into our room we tried to turn on the airconditioning as it was very warm and stuffy in the room. We did open the sliding doors to the deck. I found Valerie and asked her about the A/C. She said it doesn't go on until after the 4th of July She said it isn't hot enough yet for the A/C. I asked for a fan and she found us a stand up fan. She said we could leave the sliders open. It was smoky due to fires in the area and when we left the sliding door open the smoke smell drfted into our room. It was necessary to keep the sliding doors closed most of the time. Breakfast for the first day was a cold slice of ham(it was supposed to be cold I believe), regular scrambled eggs, some delicous O'Brien potatoes, a slice of canteloupe with a strawberry, and some flax bread. She did mention that she didn't have her cook there so she was doing the cooking. I had tea and my husband coffee. There wasn't any juice around. On our 2nd day of breakfast we had Box Krusteaz pancakes with a peach sauce, sausage, pineapple slice with a strawberry. No juice, but coffee and tea. It was our anniversary and we did have a bottle of wine, but she forgot the first night, and then the 2nd night she put it in the kitchen but we didn't know, and wasn't told it was in the kitchen it so we ended up leaving with it on our departure. I have stayed in only a handful of B & B's but in the others everything was homemade and more variety. So of course we were comparing it to the other places we stayed in TN and CO. We did have plenty of food and she asked us if we wanted more of anything. I think it comes down to the fact that this is her B & B and she can run things how she would like. I would have liked to have had A/C available as it was warm in our room. I personally don't make boxed pancakes or serve boxed pancakes to my guests when they come to our place. Both Valerie and the other man on the premises were helpful with places to visit and where to eat. The area around Pagosa Springs was beautiful and the hiking was great. I would have given this rating an excellent if we had A/C, and no boxed pancakes :) and maybe some juice with breakfast would have been nice. Overall a nice time and was glad that we went there. Thanks so much.

Room Tip: Our room was the smallest, and we would have enjoyed one of the larger rooms more. The views were g...
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Thank you for posting your review. I would like to say in response. This week end was a "Half Price Special Deal" where I received only a small portion of the regular price, therefore I was unable to afford a chef.
The house was fully booked because of the special deal and everyone else enjoyed their stay, all were made aware of the facts that the a/c was to be commisioned at the end of June (what other B&B has a/c in Colorado?) and that I would be preparing pancakes from a reputable mix. served with sausages, fruit and home made peach sauce, this was served after the Fresh Pinapple and strawberries.
I have had several chefs who make "home made" pancakes and they have been heavy and were usually wasted.
I always try to give my guests a good deal and run specials throughout the year. I have now come to believe that it is not worth giving discounts, it has been my experience that the more you help, the more critical and demanding some people become, requiring super human efforts.

Reviewed June 2, 2012

My husband and I recently spent two nights at this lovely B&B What a delight! The views were spectacular with an extremely quite and serene atmosphere. We could not have asked for a more gracious and accomodating hostess. Valerie prepared a wonderful breakfast both mornings and they were served in an elegant and totally relaxing manner. Thanks for a wonderful stay!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple