“A room with a view!”

Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Ouray
Augusta, Georgia
“A room with a view!”
Reviewed April 9, 2006

We were delighted with our overnight stay at the Ouray Comfort Inn. The owners were very friendly and personable. I hardly ever get a room with a "nice" view. Lots of times I get the roofs' steam vents from the level below so I always notice a view and have a good laugh whether it's lovely or not. Here we were able to sit on the balcony and enjoy the view of the lovely Telluride Rockies.
The breakfast was very tasty - especially the Belgium waffles. Lots of good food the Sunday morning we were there.
We had such a good time at Ouray. The scenery is just spectacular. The Comfort Inn is right off the main street and is convenient for the pool and downtown restaurants. We paid $55.61 for our stay. I look forward to the time when I can return and enjoy the pool and scenery again.

• Stayed October 2003
4 Thank 807wheaton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Dallas
Reviewed February 4, 2006

I wandered into the town of Ouray during a local ice-climbing exhibition/event (really, you'd have to see it to believe it) without a reservation anywhere in town (though admittedly during an otherwise "quiet" time of the year.) I was pondering a real-estate purchase in nearby Ridgeway, and thought Ouray might offer a good cross-section of the small-town "personality" I might ultimately be buying into. Frankly, I couldn't have been more pleased (and ended-up closing the deal partly because of my experience at the Comfort Inn.)

After a quick pass down Main Street, I took a room at the Comfort Inn, and immediately felt as though I'd known Betty (the Manager) my whole life. And just for background on my taste in accomodations, the previous week had been spent at the Ritz Carlton in another city, and the Four Seasons is a common stop when traveling nationwide and globally.

Now c'mon folks, it's a COMFORT INN for goodness sake! That means exterior entries...no restaurant...abbreviated services.... But watch what SIXTY DOLLARS buys: Clean spacious rooms with plenty of cable options and in-room coffee, free wireless internet (never offered at the Ritz), a fabulous and satisfying array of hot and cold breakfast selections, and plenty of delightful morning conversation with some of the nicest local residents I've had the pleasure to meet in worldwide travel (including in-depth discussions with the Chief of Police, his partner Shane, and a plethora of others who find the breakfast-nook of the Comfort Inn to be Ouray's answer to "Floyd's Barber Shop.")

I haven't had the chance to try the Ouray Chalet, nor other local offerings, but I'll say this: This town is set in one of the most beautiful mountain resort spots on the planet (the Telluride Rockies) and if you subtract the cost of a wonderful breakfast ($25 in Aspen) the cost of a day of wireless "net" (another $10) and factor in unlimited human warmth (priceless) my nights of silent slumber in a locale absolutely mirroring the French Alps (which I had visited the month before) cost the equivalent of a couple of downtown-Dallas martinis.

Sure, there's probably plenty of luxury "somewhere" in town... But for what this property purports to be....you certainly won't be disappointed.

dgantt@millionairdallas.com

• Stayed January 2006
5 Thank JetDealer
Wiltshire, UK
Reviewed October 26, 2005

This hotel is just off the main street in Ouray. The room was very clean and a good size. A small problem was that you could hear ever footstep on the exterior landing, which might keep the lighter sleeper awake. There was a complimentary continental breakfast but unfortunately we managed to time our breakfast with a girls volleyball team staying at the hotel. It was just as well they'd eaten all the food as they'd also taken up all the seats in the breakfast room. I guess if they hadn't been staying breakfast would have been fine. We would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2005
4 Thank akhmc
Madison
Reviewed July 13, 2005

Ouray is a spectacular spot in Colorado!! This little hotel is located a couple blocks from the local shops and restaurants. It is a comfortable place to stay, nothing fancy, but clean and has a nice breakfast. Ouray didn't appear to have any large hotels. The town is cute and quaint!

• Stayed June 2005
2 Thank vacationite
Salida, CO
Reviewed May 16, 2005

I stayed at this hotel for two nights, and found it to be very clean and comfortable. The belgian waffles that other reviewers mentioned were tasty. I chose this hotel over others because it:

1. allowed pets ($10 charge per pet)

2. had wireless internet access, and allowed me to work while my wife was at a conference.

I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
6 Thank river.trout
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 11, 2004

When it came time to check out I looked over the bill. Sharon, the desk clerk/co-manager, said, "I had to charge you a No Show fee." My wife and I arrived a day late. Because I had not telephoned in advance to inform the management of the late arrival, the 40 dollar fee was tagged on the bill. Well, I have no quarrel with a fee if the written reservation contract/policy of the business clearly states such a policy and fees. She threatened to charge me for days we were not going to stay, even though they had already sold the rooms. I showed the desk clerk my reservation contract which does not state anything about a late fee, nor does it discuss a No Show policy. No responsible response. When I asked the desk clerk, who is also the co-manager along with her husband, to show me, in writing, the Comfort Inn policy regarding this matter, they couldn't produce one. Curiously enough, when my wife did arrive a day late and checked in, we were not informed about the late fee. There's no signage in the lobby indicating such a late fee. And when it came time to check out, the late fee was on the bill. The co-manager tried an ad hominem arguement, insisting that it's "common policy" among hotels to charge a no show fee. She also tried to scapegoat on the internet travel website through which I had made the reservation and that I contact the website for refund. Hey, I didn't negotiate the biz deal between Comfort Inn and its parent company, Choice Hotels International with Travelocity, as to what would and would not be disclosed in the reservation contracts. And that's what it comes down to: a question of disclosure. Is it fair not to communicate in writing to the customer before, during and after doing business about "penalty" fees? I don't think so. As for the room, the bed was about as comfortable as cardboard and the room reeked of industrial-strength cleaner. The manager would not refund the 40 bucks. In the great scheme of things, 40 bucks ain't much. Well, I was there to scout Ouray for a film production. Maybe the Comfort Inn got the one night plus the late fee, but they missed out on renting rooms for a 30 million dollar film production.

• Stayed September 2004, traveled on business
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, Owner/General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, May 13, 2005
I,m sorry this gentelman had such a bad experience. I remember this incident well. He had reservations for the night before and the two following nights and failed to show the first night. We were completely sold out and had to turn away a family with two kids, sending them 35 miles to the next town with vacancies at 11:00pm. We held his room for him until 7:00 am the next morning. As is standard in the industry, we charged him a no-show charge for one night. When he arrived a day late, I advised him that he had failed to show the night before. He swore up and down that his reservations didn't start until the night that he had arrived. We are pretty forgiving on our no-show charges, if they have a good reason they couldn't make the trip as planned, I don't charge. I asked to see his print out from the travel agent to see if we had made a mistake. He was very loud and obnoxious with my staff and me. The print out confirmed that his reservations were to start the night before, and continue for 2 more nights after. I still have the copy of this print out. I did reduce the no show fee from $80.00 to $40.00. As for Sharon, we have never had anyone working here by that name. Maybe he was confused on his facts. This man was very inconsiderate. I could have accomidated the family that I had to send on if he would have been considerate enough to check his reservations and know when he had made them for.
dallas
Reviewed August 31, 2004

My wife and I loved staying at the Ouray Comfort Inn. The couple that run this place are wonderful. We felt like family. The views are great, rooms clean and waffles for breakfast. It's a block from downtown(eat at the Buen Tiempo!). Go see these great people! You won't be sorry.

8 Thank javens