“Comfort in beautiful surroundings” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Comfort Inn

Comfort Inn
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Ouray
Salida, CO
“Comfort in beautiful surroundings”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2005

I stayed at this hotel for two nights, and found it to be very clean and comfortable. The belgian waffles that other reviewers mentioned were tasty. I chose this hotel over others because it:

1. allowed pets ($10 charge per pet)

2. had wireless internet access, and allowed me to work while my wife was at a conference.

I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
6 Thank river.trout

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2004

When it came time to check out I looked over the bill. Sharon, the desk clerk/co-manager, said, "I had to charge you a No Show fee." My wife and I arrived a day late. Because I had not telephoned in advance to inform the management of the late arrival, the 40 dollar fee was tagged on the bill. Well, I have no quarrel with a fee if the written reservation contract/policy of the business clearly states such a policy and fees. She threatened to charge me for days we were not going to stay, even though they had already sold the rooms. I showed the desk clerk my reservation contract which does not state anything about a late fee, nor does it discuss a No Show policy. No responsible response. When I asked the desk clerk, who is also the co-manager along with her husband, to show me, in writing, the Comfort Inn policy regarding this matter, they couldn't produce one. Curiously enough, when my wife did arrive a day late and checked in, we were not informed about the late fee. There's no signage in the lobby indicating such a late fee. And when it came time to check out, the late fee was on the bill. The co-manager tried an ad hominem arguement, insisting that it's "common policy" among hotels to charge a no show fee. She also tried to scapegoat on the internet travel website through which I had made the reservation and that I contact the website for refund. Hey, I didn't negotiate the biz deal between Comfort Inn and its parent company, Choice Hotels International with Travelocity, as to what would and would not be disclosed in the reservation contracts. And that's what it comes down to: a question of disclosure. Is it fair not to communicate in writing to the customer before, during and after doing business about "penalty" fees? I don't think so. As for the room, the bed was about as comfortable as cardboard and the room reeked of industrial-strength cleaner. The manager would not refund the 40 bucks. In the great scheme of things, 40 bucks ain't much. Well, I was there to scout Ouray for a film production. Maybe the Comfort Inn got the one night plus the late fee, but they missed out on renting rooms for a 30 million dollar film production.

• Stayed September 2004, traveled on business
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, Owner/General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, May 13, 2005
I,m sorry this gentelman had such a bad experience. I remember this incident well. He had reservations for the night before and the two following nights and failed to show the first night. We were completely sold out and had to turn away a family with two kids, sending them 35 miles to the next town with vacancies at 11:00pm. We held his room for him until 7:00 am the next morning. As is standard in the industry, we charged him a no-show charge for one night. When he arrived a day late, I advised him that he had failed to show the night before. He swore up and down that his reservations didn't start until the night that he had arrived. We are pretty forgiving on our no-show charges, if they have a good reason they couldn't make the trip as planned, I don't charge. I asked to see his print out from the travel agent to see if we had made a mistake. He was very loud and obnoxious with my staff and me. The print out confirmed that his reservations were to start the night before, and continue for 2 more nights after. I still have the copy of this print out. I did reduce the no show fee from $80.00 to $40.00. As for Sharon, we have never had anyone working here by that name. Maybe he was confused on his facts. This man was very inconsiderate. I could have accomidated the family that I had to send on if he would have been considerate enough to check his reservations and know when he had made them for.
dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2004

My wife and I loved staying at the Ouray Comfort Inn. The couple that run this place are wonderful. We felt like family. The views are great, rooms clean and waffles for breakfast. It's a block from downtown(eat at the Buen Tiempo!). Go see these great people! You won't be sorry.

8 Thank javens