“quick night before climbing”
Review of Comfort Inn

Comfort Inn
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Ouray
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Made a non-refundable reservation a couple of days before arriving in Ouray. Good thing as there was no vacancy during our late check-in.
Standard motel room on a quiet street, a block off of the main drag. Everything in Ouray is with-in walking distance, the hot springs pool is about a 10 minute walk from motel.
Since we departed very early in order to climb Mt. Sneffels, we missed the free breakfast.
Room rate was a little high, but tourist season is short in Ouray. Plus, you can take advantage of Choice Privileges rewards program.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 9, 2012

While trying to make reservations I advised her that I had a service dog. Was in the process of booking the room and I was advised there was a $15.00 charge for the pet. First of all it is not a pet, it's a working dog. I have never been charged for a service animal and am very disappointed that they were un-accommodating for service animals.

Stayed: August 2012
BettyWolfe, Owner at Comfort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

I am sorry that this happened. I will not make excuses , just an apology. Service animals are treated differently than regular pets and since we are seeing more service animals traveling as companions with our guests, our training of our front desk staff need to be stepped up as well. I seem to have missed something with my staff on this subject. Thank you for bringing this to my attention, and if this ever happens to anyone else traveling with a service dog, please contact the management and make them aware of your concerns.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

Since this motel serves elk hunters, skiers, mountain bikers, and ice climbers you can forgive the wear and tear on the rooms. It was basically clean and the breakfast was standard. Our disappointment was price - in July (high season) $149 felt like about $50 too much.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank JKBG
Reviewed July 15, 2012

This facility would be ok for a one night visit, but not for a longer stay or a vacation. Basic room was clean, but no extra facilities such as a lobby or gathering area to relax in (there were two couches by the front desk in the tiny reception area), or any kind of outdoor sitting or relaxing area, and the room did not have a comfortable chair, etc to read or watch tv. Did appreciate the air conditioning and wi-fi, and accommodating a request to chill our cooler and contents, though.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Booked a room with front desk clerk a few days before our stay. The clerk was told that there would be 4 adults and 1 child in our party. I was given 2 options of rooms. 1 option was 1 room with 2 queen beds and the other option was 2 room suite with a queen bed and a couch that folded out to a bed.i was given rates of $159.00 for two queens and $169.00 for the suite. I chose the suite so we could have more privacy with the two rooms. When we arrived. The suite was an extremely small room with a love seat instead of a couch and the toilet was clogged. We had to ask for extra pillows and blankets for the fold out bed on the love seat. The desk clerk quickly brought all bedding to us. She was a pleasant girl. We then went to the free breakfast then next morning. The breakfast was actually good for a free breakfast. I noticed a sign on the office door that stated no more rooms available upon leaving the office after breakfast We then returned to our room and that was when the trouble started. The owner of the hotel came to our room and asked how many people were in our party. When he was told that there were 5 in our party he told us that we were breaking the law and that.his wife booked the room when I called in and that she would never book the room that we were I for five people. He basically called me a liar. He then returned with his wife who stated that when the room was booked the clerk was told that there were only two people in our party. She could not say that she booked the room because she did not. But we were told that we had to leave and were not offered another room for the other two people in our party. It was a busy Saturday morning in ouray and most of the rooms already had no vacancy and we were 300 miles/5 hours away from home. I seriously think that was done to us because they could rent that room at a higher rate for the weekend. I was really upset that this was done to my family and myself but in the long run they did us a favor because their hotel was lousy and depressing and we found a much better deal down the road at the hot springs hotel. Much nicer staff, beautiful rooms, and excellent breakfast for a lower rate. So I would like to thank the owners of the comfort inn for kicking my family out because of no fault of our own. I had a much better stay in ouray because of this.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank RossMontaZno
BettyWolfe, Owner at Comfort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

There were more than 5 people in the room. I counted at least 5 adults and one child. Our reservation system will not allow us to book anymore than 4 people in a room with 2 beds and no more than 3 in this type of room. When you arrive with that many people and only have one bed, I would think that you would contact the front desk and tell them that you were to have 2 beds, which never happened in this case. I do understand that from time to time your travel plans change and more people come with you than what was originally intended, but due to fire codes etc., the hotel staff needs to be informed when your number of travelers increase, not only for your safety but for the safety of others as well.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

I have stayed at this property three times over the past several years and each time it was a great visit. Betty & Ted are fabulous hosts and their staff is friendly and helpful. Travelers familiar with the hot Comfort Inn breakfast will not be disappointed: eggs & sausage, waffle machine (the blueberry waffles were extra tasty!), yogurt, cereal, toast, etc. Guests staying for several days may want to try one of the scrumptious breakfasts available on the main strip of town (which is just two blocks away), but I was pleased as punch with the reliable and delicious breakfast during my week stay.

The hot tub was clean and had great views of the Ampitheater; the rooms were clean and nice, and I appreciated the on site washers and (huge) dryers.

Those not familiar with the chain will need to manage their expectations when it comes to the thickness of the walls between units, and this is a classic motel so you enter the rooms from an outdoor walkway and not an interior hallway.

I arrived for a 3 night stay and extended it to over a week because I was snug as a bug in my cozy room.

Room Tip: I enjoy the back side of the hotel (both sides have great mountain views); be aware that the neighbo...