Tripadvisor
Search
San Juan Mountain Guides, LLC - Day Adventures
Review Highlights
Alpine Touring

San Juan Mountain Guides are great! Our guide Sheldon took on a 4-day odyssey of the San Juan... read more

Reviewed 3 days ago
Doug C
San Juan County Pros

Reviewed October 18, 2019
EvanL550

All reviews via ferrata ice climbing rock climbing experience guide service different levels ice park aaron intro backcountry techniques instructor skills gear mountaineering objectives avalanche safety
Selected filters
Reviewed December 30, 2019

I bought this $750 "experience" for my husband as a gift. It was horrible for him from start to finish. Due to snow and the pass being closed, the group couldn't make it to the hut on the first night. SJMG had the group sleep in the classroom in Ouray. My husband complained enough so they got him a hotel room, but the didn't get that for anyone else in the group. They also didn't pay for dinner on the first night, even though that was supposed to be included at the hut.

The group finally made it to the hut on Saturday afternoon. The participants had to carry all of the food to the hut. The "appetizers" were cheeze-its, stale tortilla chips, and salsa. The dinner was rice and bean tacos (no meat).

If you're expecting to ski from the hut--do not do this trip. On Sunday morning, the group didn't get to do any runs from the hut and just skied back to their cars.

Do not pay the extra $250 to do the hut based class. I would not recommend this group whatsoever. They were not accommodating and did not have a good contingency plan when Red Mountain Pass was closed--which is a very usual occurrence.

Date of experience: December 2019
Reviewed October 18, 2019

Nate is a first-class guide, had the pleasure of accompanying him and his wife with some coworkers to the top of Red mtn 3. I've been lucky enough to use a couple guide services in the area between skiing and climbing and SJMG is among the finest. We were treated to a trip overview along with a gear rundown for our day hike. Amidst the splendor of the mountains, Nate pointed out local features and routes up other peaks, informative and entertaining.

Date of experience: October 2019
Reviewed October 10, 2019

We went on a hike with San Juan Mountain Guides from their lodge at the top of Red Mountain Pass. Guide was very knowledgeable and friendly. Hike was steep, but very rewarding when we got to the top. Amazing views.

Date of experience: October 2019
Reviewed August 17, 2019

What a talented team who are genuinely passionate about creating amazing experiences. You can feel how much they love what they do. They cultivate real connection and care.
I highly suggest booking your adventures with SJMG. I never used a guide service before and now I'm hooked. So much less stress!

Date of experience: August 2019
Reviewed July 8, 2019

My 68 year old dad and I recently spent two days with San Juan Mountain Guides on the Telluride Via Ferrata and Mt. Sneffels. Keeton in the office has fabulous customer service skills. She always answered my questions thoroughly and promptly, seemed genuinely delighted to have us as customers, and matched us with the perfect guide, Michael. He called me a few days before the trip to discuss the trip details and itinerary. The Via Ferrata was a thrilling, but safe, experience. All our gear was provided, and Michael explained exactly what to do and was very patient and encouraging at all times. The Mt. Sneffels climb on the 4th of July was epic. We met Michael at the San Juan Mountain Guides office early in the morning, and he drove us to the trailhead in a company 4wd vehicle. It was a tough day, but we learned a lot of new skills on the snow. Once again, safety was paramount with Michael. We used a rope when needed, and Michael was very calming during one particular scary section for me. He also seemed to genuinely care about us as guests, and we felt like important members of the team. I’m so happy I got to do this with my dad, and everyone at San Juan Mountain Guides made it a trip we will always remember. Now my only problem is deciding which peaks to climb with them next year!

Date of experience: July 2019