“Best Place I've Ever Stayed”
Review of Black Bear Manor

Black Bear Manor
Ranked #2 of 8 Ouray B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 14, 2007

As a pilot I can say that I've stayed in my fair share of hotels and other lodging places. Black Bear Manor is the best place I have ever stayed in my life. My wife and I were there for our honeymoon the second week in May. Lucy and Phil were fantastic hosts. From the time we checked in we were treated like royalty. Our room was upgraded for no charge just because they had a nicer room that wasn't sold. We are vegetarians and when we told Phil and Lucy they went out of their way to make sure we got food that fit our diet. They even went and got us vegetarian breakfast meat!! Breakfasts were amazing! There was more food than anyone could eat and it was all scrumptious. There was such variety and Lucy cooks it all every morning. (You can tell she loves it because it's some of the best food I've ever eaten!) I kept telling my wife that it didn't feel like a bed and breakfast. It felt like we were staying with family. I can't wait to go back. It made our honeymoon amazing!!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed February 12, 2007

Went to Ouray for the ice fest this year. I'm a New York real estate investment banker who likes to ice climb- but I also like cozy accomodations and good food. Black Bear was perfect! Price was reasonable, location right in town, just off Main St. within walking distance to everything, even the ice park, and the breakfast was superb, especially the cinnamon buns and the extensive tea selection! High recommended!!!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2006

My wife and I had an absolutely delightful stay at the Black Bear Manor in Ouray. The accomodations were quite comfortable and the Inn is well situated, a short walk to all the town's shops and restaurants. Phil and Lucie, the owners, were terrific hosts. From your arrival, you feel more like family than first-time guests. When I told Lucie that I had a health issue, she went to extraordinary lengths to make sure that I was well served at breakfast and with delicious afternoon treats. She prepared enough food at breakfast for a NFL team - and it was all great. We travel a good deal around the country and the Black Bear Manor was truly one of the best B&B's we've ever visited. We both enthusiastically highly recommend it!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2006

Ouray was our favorite vacation so far and Black Bear Manor far surpassed our expectations. Phil and Lucie are extremely friendly, helpful, and generous, to the point you feel completely spoiled and pampered. The breakfasts are out of this world - delicious and always a great variety. The sound of the nearby stream and the amazing view of the mountains contributed to a relaxing vacation. Phil and Lucie also provided a bottle of wine upon arrival, delicious chocolate truffles at night, and freshly baked pies in the afternoon. The room was very comfortable and cozy and we felt right at home. We also enjoyed the views from the observatory and relaxing on the porch swing on beautiful, quiet evenings. We can't say enough about this B&B as well as this town, which we fell in love with. We hope to make it our regular vacation spot.
Keith and Christina, Arizona

1  Thank keithchris
Reviewed August 31, 2006

We stayed at the Black Bear manor for a weekend, hoping to enjoy a relaxing getaway before the birth of our daughter. We weren't disappointed! The room we stayed in (the Princess Suite) was spacious and immaculate, and we were greeted with wonderful individually boxed chocolate truffles from a local store. Breakfast was bountiful and delicious - eggs, pancakes, fresh fruit, bacon, potatoes, and more, served with great hospitality. One of the men at our table joked, "Where's the steak?", and the Lucie, one of the inkeepers, promised that the next day, there would be steak as well ... sure enough, there was, along with another amazing spread. When it rained the first morning, we went upstairs to the on site observatory and took in the spectacular view and Lucie brought us freshly brewed loose leaf tea. The inkeepers were helpful throughout - they recommended local restaurants and were happy to answer any questions or just to chat. We highly recommend this place and hope to return someday.

• Stayed: May 2006
Reviewed August 30, 2006

This was a wonderful stay and a five star breakfast. Phil and Lucie where great hosts, very accomodating and helpful in all respects. You won't be disappointed in your stay here.
Laura, Dave, Peter and Marna Olson

Reviewed August 25, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Black Bear Manor for three nights for our anniversary. Phil and Lucie were great host and put alot of thought into their B&B. The breakfast was outstanding, more food is prepared than you could ever eat. If I had to choose something to go on and on about it would be the breakfast. There were alot of extra touches that you don't always find at a B&B's. The truffles we got each morning on our nightstand after the room was cleaned were as Phil told us "the best truffles you'll ever eat" he was right. The bottle of wine we recieved was also a nice touch, even though it was our anniversary everone that stayed got a bottle of wine. Our thanks goes out to Phil & Lucie for going out of their way to make our stay in Ouray one we will always remember. And yes we will be back. Bruce and Tammy Jolley

1  Thank jolleyphoto