“Worth every penny!”

Switzerland of America Tours
Ranked #3 of 10 Tours in Ouray
More attraction details
Owner description: Providing high quality 4x4 Jeep adventures in the San Juan Mountains since 1962. Enjoy the diverse history, mountain summits and colorful meadows by guided 4x4 tour, or Jeep Wrangler. Please visit us at the blue, red and white building at 226 7th Avenue in Ouray, Colorado.
Reviewed July 29, 2010

As second-time visitors to Ouray, we wanted a more in-depth experience of the surrounding country and decided to take a jeep tour with Switzerland of America. It was a big vacation splurge for ourselves and two young boys, and worth every penny. Our driver/guide, Steve, was a skillful driver and an interesting and entertaining tour guide. His wife, Gina, rode along shotgun, so I felt extra confident that he'd get us back safely! We took the half-day tour to Yankee Boy Basin with some special detours that Steve suggested. There were a few white-knuckle portions of the trip, on a cliff ledge high above the valley floor, but Steve definitely knew what he was doing. We were fortunate to be there in late July, while millions of multicolored wildflowers were in bloom at Yankee Boy Basin. We learned so much about the mountains and the mines up there. THANKS, SOA! We'll be back!

1  Thank heathers968
There are newer reviews for Switzerland of America Tours

Reviewed June 22, 2010

So glad that we took this tour! Don, our guide, was full of knowledge that really took us back to when this area was first founded. The views were breathtaking and the waterfalls were abundant. I may have broken my camera I was taking so many pictures. Was a little weary of taking my kids, 1 and 4, but we strapped them in their car seats and they had a blast! Would certainly recommend taking the time to get up and see this great area with this great tour company! Make sure to bring sunscreen.

1  Thank kvesely
Reviewed October 13, 2009

We recently arranged for a jeep trip to Corkscrew Gulch. Also went to Hurricane and California Passes. Scenery was spectacular! Our driver shared a lot of history of the area, and we had a terrific time all in all. I was a little nervous since this was my first experience doing anything like this, but Don, our driver, was very safe, and I'm so glad I did it! I'm sure the other routes are just as good!

Reviewed October 1, 2009

I visit Ouray every year and have made SOA an essentail part of each trip. You cannot experience the true essence of the Ouray wtihout taking the offroad trails into the mountains. SOA is the best outfit to get you into the "Back Country". Their vehicles are all in excellent condition and their drivers are superb at not only getting you over the rocky and narrow trails, but also explaining all the history and natural elements of the trips. On my last trip I took a full day tour over the notorious Black Bear Pass and could not believe the how intense and spectacular it was. The next day I rented one of their new Rubicon Jeeps the next day and toured Corkscrew, Yankee Boy, and the Last Dollar Road. My camera could not capture the awesome views I saw.

Reviewed August 28, 2009

We went on a half-day tour up Imogene Pass. Don Fehd was our guide. He was knowledgeable about the local history making the tour so much more than just gorgeous scenery. He showed us pictures in some locations of then and now, which gave us a better appreciation of how the miners lived. Though a very bumpy ride, his driving skills were excellent and I never worried for our safety. Don was a great guide, the truck/jeep was in excellent shape; seats were as comfortable as can be when driving over rocks. We hope to go back someday for a tour of another area. Such fun!

1  Thank Wagon Master